1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danny Walker is 100000% correct

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Dec 4, 2018.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Mongo ain’t Orange .... except maybe his hands and lips from inhaling Pumpkin Pie :D

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I can only assume it is that the Twins class will be the main attraction going forward because they better reflect the viewers who are an average of 40 years old! :crackup:

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You act like you know someone on the TV end of things...

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats the color of the shrinking potion he uses. Duh.

5. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

I like to pretend :D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have dressed as a Mongoloompah... Damn near the same color as Trumps spray tan but green hair :D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  7. ton

ton Arf!

...and now i can't get that horrifying image out of my head :Puke:

also, :crackup:

8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Something else that strikes me is, FT and SX are one day events. Cheaper to attend for fans who want to see in it's entirety, than RR being a whole weekend dedicated to the event. Hotels, food, transport, even personal time, that kinda adds up, and can be prohibitive for some folks. I'm not saying RR needs to be shortened, just a thought.

9. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

I feel that will happen sooner than later as a test to prove a concept.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm a Comcast subscriber. BeIn/Comcast didn't come to an agreement and the channel slid off of the grid sometime in the middle of the year. I was more than happy to wait for the broadcast to come up on YouTube to watch.
    Did they ever introduce the technology that allows the Nielson ratings to factor in when a show is watched on DVR rather than live?

12. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I think there is a perception that more are at a flat track race due to everyone pretty much being confined to the grandstands - in many cases, a single grandstand.

Road race tracks are spread out quite a bit.

I also think tv ratings alone cater to a certain (older) demographic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

At one point when we were given attendance data, we also had the track's information on tickets sold/given away. A single ticket for Friday, Saturday and Sunday actually counted for three attendees. Each person, each day was an attendee. (Granted, not every ticket sold was a three day pass, but a lot of them were.) Actual humans in attendance each day and was about a third of the reported attendance number.

I'm not sure if these stats are being reported that way.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Road America was pretty packed last year. Reminded me kinda of the old days. It was pretty cool. No stunt show up and down highway 67 or campers on fire in the camp ground across the street... but people were partying.

badmoon692008 and lonewrench like this.
  15. Hoffman900

How about this Instagram analysis:

MotoAmerica: 66.2k followers
    Cameron Beaubier: 32.6k followers
    Toni Elias: 58.7k followers
    Josh Herrin: 129k followers
    Mathew Scholtz: 4.7k followers
    Garrett Gerloff: 13.4k followers
    Jake Lewis: 11.6k followers
    Roger Hayden: 39.8k followers
    Josh Hayes: 14.6k followers
    JD Beach: 18.4k followers

American Flattrack: 44.2k followers
    Jared Mees: 22.4k followers
    Bryan Smith: 7.3k followers
    Brad Baker: 27.3k followers
    Henry Wiles: 7.1k followers
    Briar Bauman: 5.3k followers
    Sammy Halbert: 14.1k followers
    Shayna Texter: 12.8k followers.
    Jake Johnson: 3.9k followers
    Kolby Carlisle: 4K followers.

IG is dominated by the 18-35yo demographic. MotoAmerica and its riders certainly have a larger reach on that platform.

FB, I think you will find, skews greyer than IG.

418 likes this.
  16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

How much work do each one of these guys do to get people to the race track? They could have a strong impact in marketing / promoting the race series in getting fans in the stands if they structure their posts accordingly.

17. Hoffman900

It’s 2018 (soon to be 2019). I think guys like Josh have realized in order to have a job, he needs to promote the series. He promotes the series (and himself), people come to see him. More fans = more leverage at contract time. Win / win.

Besides being fast, I’m pretty sure Yoshimura / Suzuki is looking at that. Josh could put their products in front of a lot of faces who many not normally come across it.

I overheard him tell Roger that IG has been the best thing for him and maybe his career reboot.

We’re arguing about getting locals to the track, when in fact you need names like Josh Herrin, JD, etc putting their name and face out there and creating content. Like Kyle Wyman (10.6k followers) should do more drift videos on a Harley bagger. Content like that that reaches outside the road racing echo chamber.

For example with JD, you can’t look up motorcycle racing in the US right now without coming across his name. I have a buddy who wouldn’t know any of this existed, except for Josh Herrin.

The days of being a dry robot racer who can get by on talent alone is over. Auto racing is no different. It takes talent and charisma (and a good social media team, or yourself).

MachineR1 likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Speaking of sponsorship, I tried to acquire FBF (Ferracci) when I was invited to ride for Team Maxxis/BEi Racing.
    Described Billy's set-up, mentioned magazine ads, etc. First words out of Ferraccis' mouth - "Are these races televised?"
    No deal.
    He did, however, offer contingency. Slap FBF stickers on the bike(s), $250 per win, payable in money received on account. I took advantage of that with my sprint program a couple years earlier.

19. Hoffman900

Does Ferraci even use social media? He’s about as old school as it gets...

Look at Stefano Mesa. He has 13.2k followers. That’s more than Shayna Texter who AFT promotes the hell out of and has factory backing. How much of what he runs is on tv?

I don’t think the tv deal is as make or break as Ferraci think it might be.

20. Spec ecu, usually borrowed.