1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Leather Suits

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

RS Taichi.

Coming from a custom Kushitani suit, I didn't think anything could be better. Taichi is.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

6 ft, 193, medium build. 15-20 times for the next decade.

3. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

I had a couple of the higher end fieldsheer suits and they were great. Not even sure if they are in business anymore.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

They were, circa 1992. Not sure if they are anymore.

:D

vizsladog and TurboBlew like this.
  5. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

So possibly a size 46/56 and if you have lifted weights....you may be a size 48/58 in the Euro cut suits.

As mentioned:

Over $1,500 and highest quality:
    Upper end RS Taichi
    Kushitani
    Helimot
    Vanson
    NJK

$1,000 - $1,500 and mid-range:
    Spidi (Wind Warrior Pro)
    Dainese
    Mid-range RS Taichi
    Held
    Heroic
    Ballistik
    ACT

Under $1,000 and still safe:
    Syed (indestructible)
    Revit
    Alpinestars
    Joe Rocket
    Cortech
    Pilot
    AGV
    Teknic Kangaroo (if you can find them)

Would Not Wear:
    Sedici
    eBay leathers
    Frank Thomas

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Tigerangel still in business? :D

We use Juan Lindo of Zooni/Helimot fame, but really only good for locals.

(Helimot no longer makes suits, and Juan has been on his own for a long time now).

7. Mille R

Awesome. Thanks.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm 5'11", ~180. None of my suits are based on current offerings, but I'm throwin' it out there anyway.

Regardless of my weight, ~170 at the time, Dainese was too short in the legs - knees would burn from the pressure - but it was relatively light and supple. Same fit with Fieldsheer but a little heavier. They both had the top level protection for the day at the time of purchase. Had the Ds from '86-'88 and used the Fs from '92-'00. Sold the Ds, still have the Fs - with a nice suede finish from all the earthly encounters :D and two seam blowouts (separate occasions) between hip and armpit.

Went to Z Customs and Vanson, ~180, both custom fit, suits weighed a ton, could take a beating, but the sloppy fit and stiff leather... Got the Zs in '02-'03(?), they were bulletproof - and felt like it. Burned 'em in '07. Got the Vs in '06. Still have the Vs, scuffs everywhere, relegated to the closet and loaner duty.

'05, A* Race Replica, heavy, fit like a glove...still have 'em, use 'em and depend on 'em. Weight fluctuated repeatedly between 173-186 during these 13 years of use. I should add, they've never hit the ground.

I have a Taichi body, if I get on a race-fitness program and cut down to 167. :D
    I like Spidis for the graphics. They'll do custom work. No idea about 'em otherwise...seem on par with anything else that's top-rated.

Air suits? What, two choices? If Dainese is still short in the leg, that leaves A*.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Which reminds me I need to get measured to replace my 11 year old that finally showed its age :)
    I had Vanson, RS Taichi, Dainese, Helimot but will take Zooni over all of them.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vansons will last longer than you do. Syed out of FL is the same. They're not as fancy or lightweight but they will work and work great and work great forever.

SpeedyE and backbone like this.
  11. Mille R

I think I am going to have the trust the guy who has probably seen more crashed leathers than almost anyone in the entire US. While I understand he is out to ruin roadracing, I believe he is a stand up guy and I do trust his advice. Thank you Sir!!

12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

My longest lasting suit has been a Z Custom, they are much like Syed for you east coast guys.

For the last couple years I've had GTZ that are made in Mexico and they kick ass. Same type of leather as Syed and Z Custom.

I've been very happy with them, crashed several times and they hold up great.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

This. I got my custom Vanson suit in 2005, multiple offs. Yes it is heavy, and yes not the coolest looking, but the suit will easily outlast me.

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can buy them online and have then shilled here still

15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I love my spidi wind pro. But RS taichi was my second choice and is an amazing suit

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Mongo will even remind you of how many times you've crashed, in case you forget. :D

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Anyone tried Ixon leathers? I see them a lot now in GP, BSB, & ASBK. Construction looks good and heard no issues to date.

18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

currently own a Dainese and a Alpine Starts.
    Dainese is softer, but much tighter.

Always wondered about Held, if their suits are as good as their gloves it would be a no brainer.

19. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Another vote for Syed----they are almost indestructible, and I think I'm someone who should since I have the record at Jennings, at least when it comes to the number of crashes. Btw, my Syed suit is lighter than my A*, AGV, and Speed & Strength suits.

20. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Held Slade. German made, Pakistani put together. Excellent suit. Tons of titanium protection. 40% kangaroo, 60% cowhide. Very comfortable and very well made. I am selling mine. It's like new. 48us/58euro. They are a great value.

Attached Files: