1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Leather Suits

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, if you can kill a set of Vansons than you're gifted. Short of cut offs I can't remember seeing a dead pair.

John Branch likes this.
  2. John Branch

John Branch 90125

1990 threw 1996 I had Dainese. They fit great and held up to some serious crashes! 1997 got custom syed hated ! Then I got some spidi they fit like a glove and are the best to date! Then 2002 I had some custom vanson they where nice. But then in 2014 I got my 1st set of rs taichi and they are by far the nicest leathers I have had to date bar none!!! Moto liberty :flag:customer service is as good if not better than the quality of the leathers!!! :clap:

galloway840 likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Vanson suits have a live option?? lol

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I like my Pilot leathers more than the two Alpinestars suits that I had before. More comfortable and crashed better too.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Maybe it changed but didn't pilot use plastic zippers?

6. John Branch

John Branch 90125

That is true! And I had some friends that loved there z custom and they seemed too stick around for 5 plus years! If you wash them?! Again it all depends on how often they are used? And how much you crash and sweat in them? And how often you wash thoroughly. Dry and then condition them? :cool:

7. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Like bikes gear needs maintenance too for optimum longevity and performance

8. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Which model RS Taichi did you get?

9. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a set of Dainese Misano D-air leathers. The fit isn't too great cause I need to lose the same 5-10lbs I've needed to lose for the last 2 seasons, so both the old and new leathers are a "snug fit". They seem nice, we shall see next season when I actually start regularly wearing them...

joec likes this.
  10. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I've had Alpinestars, Technic, Dainiese BMW suits. What I realized is that every manufacturer cuts their suit for different body style. Alpinestars fits well for the heavier riders. Technic is for no gut or short torso. With short legs and long torso the Dainese BMW suit fits me great.

I have a buddy that is known to crash a lot. He had approximately 10 lowsides in a Dainese suit. This suit looks like it went through hell. Missing shoulder armor, scrapes all over and heavy abrasion. No holes. Suit is still usable.

11. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I'm quite sold on Berik... but no way to find them in North America :(

Best one I've had was a Berik Moto GP in Kagaroo... Best suit ever had !
    Have a cow Berik now and looking for a new model for 2019.

12. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Not for sure the model? They are from 2010? Or around but I spent more to get the Japan grade leather . Soft like kangaroo but thicker and last longer from my own experience.

13. John Branch

John Branch 90125

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

And I do not store my kids leathers or my current being used leathers anywhere but inside my house! Old unused is in shop / garage the bikes like to see there old buddies.:crackup:

16. bikerlifemate

bikerlifemate Active Member

I love my Spidi gear. I've had multiple 90mph+ crashes in my same suit and its held up perfectly fine and I was uninjured as well.

vizsladog likes this.
  17. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

IMHO the RS Taichi suits made of Japanese leather seem to hold up the best, while their lower-level stuff seems on par with most other brands.

18. socal

socal Well-Known Member

RS Taichi- Fantastic quality and Moto Liberty gives great guidance with fit.
    Kushitani- Beautiful garment but good luck finding them
    Dainese- A beast to break-in but eventually best fit for off the rack
    Vanson- Last forever but off the rack fit is terrible (I have the scars to prove it- sleeve turned) Also weigh a ton!

Best bang for the buck is to buy a used suit is the WERA Board.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Spidi and Spyke have both been good for me, I've had a couple suits from both companies. Usually bought as closeouts from Ebay UK. They have far more suits listed than in the US.

bikerlifemate likes this.
  20. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Adding your height and weight information to your post would help narrow down your choices, some suits just aren't made for "American sized" riders.

Are you looking for a suit to wear 15-20 times a year for the next decade, or a suit to wear 1-2 times a year until you switch to a new one in 3 years?