1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Tech: speed test confusion

Discussion in 'General' started by duggram, Dec 6, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I searched on this and didn't see this question addressed. I'm in a new house with new provider, TDS. I paid for 100 mbps and it is a snappy service. But last night my SlingTV put up a dialog saying that I should check my internet connection due to excessive buffering. A good indication of slow internet access. This morning I searched on speed test and used the default test that came up on Google. My download speed was 13 mbps. Checked my speed on tests presented by a variety of providers, TDS, centrylink, etc. They all said ~100 mbps. Is there a good reason for this disparity? What is it I need to know to understand this situation?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There could be alot of things affecting it. First thing is there anything else on your network that could be consuming bandwidth? When you run one of those tests you should try to make sure that there's nothing else on the network that is consuming resources. Also you should try to be connected as close to the modem/router as possible. A hardwire to the router is going to be more consistent than just checking over your Wifi.

Beyond that some services slow down more during certain times of the day when/if your neighborhood internet usage spikes. Some providers will nail you with QOS throttling for various BS.

Wheel Bearing and cpekz like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

is it cable or fiber?

If it's cable then there's your issue.

4. duggram

It's fiber. I should have asked this before, but have you heard of 800 mbps service? Truth or Consequences is some kind of test site for TDS, so we get really good service. TDS is rumored to be bringing 800 to our little resort town.

5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I've seen customers on a 200 mbps service plan with 5-200 mbps being the acceptable range.
    If the op is on a fiber network bandwith shouldn't be an issue, most likely an equipment problem.
    The speed test websites suck, 15+ yrs in the industry and they never matched numbers I see on test equipment.

BigBird likes this.
  6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

We have a ton of customers on 1 gig service, fiber network only.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

hmmm....wifi or connected? wifi can not always carry fast speeds reliably. Also, ping/latency could be another concern.

I have Quantum Fios get close to it almost every time, on a wired computer.

37400187131_28b3092ed7_k.jpg

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Call your provider. They can test the true speed. Those java based speed test sites are not the best..

Lawn Dart likes this.
  9. duggram

Maybe I should look into wiring up my TV, except I use Roku. TV is an older Sony Bravia but it does have a lan connection. It's just me wanting the best TV over internet I can get.

BigBird likes this.
  10. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

make sure your modem and router are new enough to handle what you pay for as well.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Know that your provider can tell when you are doing a speed test or running Netflix traffic. They will handle the traffic differently. Your speed test can and will be fine because they will temporarily allocate you bandwidth to make the test look good. Stream some YouTube and Vimeo. If those work well then your provider is likely about to be caught throttling Netflix traffic.

BigBird likes this.
  12. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

My provider contract is for 2 mbps! I just ran a speed test and got 1.9. What’s my move...

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Upgrade?

14. duggram

Thanks for this reply. It speaks right at my paranoid thoughts. My fear is they would throttle SlingTV, but let other non-video downloads run wild. BTW YouTube runs good.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Ours will get slow between 8-10 pm sometimes, Youtube will usually be ok but trying to stream a movie off Amazon Prime sucks lately.

16. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

All you ballers getting 200+mbps, and here I am thinking it was nice to finally upgrade to 6mbps consistently.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Net Neutrality yo!

BigBird likes this.
  18. duggram

I called TDS support and the tech said she could check my modem to see if certain switches are set correctly. She told me that I certainly shouldn't be having buffering issues. Before moving into this house a couple of weeks ago I was using my Verizon wireless phone for my access, the RV park I was in didn't provide internet. I don't remember having any speed/access issues during the few months I had to use Verizon. I have until something like 12/18 to cancel my TDS subscription, which I wouldn't want to do but if I can't watch SlingTV or Prime without throttling issues it might be smart to cancel my two year internet/phone contract and go back to Verizon unlimited.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Only a politician or a corrupt lawyer working for them would believe or claim this isn't happening on a daily basis... :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

In addition to your ISP making the test look good, there's a bunch of other variables, including the other end of the test. Often, those speed tests will pick (or have you pick) a node/location "near" you. That test does not represent the same path/route that you might take to something like Sling or Netflix. So, the speed test really would need to cover the path you might take to their site, specifically, to represent an accurate test. And even then, once you're off your provider's network and onto AT&T/Level III/Verizon/Sprint/CenturyLink which is out of your control and your ISP's control. So many factors related to those speed tests that make them often questionable.

BigBird likes this.