1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me. Early to Mid 2000's Mercedes S55's

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I been lucky with 3 I had, two sl500 and cls63. Only issue I had was gauge light burning on cls which required new gauges. It was signal to sell it :)

Phl218 likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You might be better off finding a high mile one and add the T56 yourself...lol.
    I wanted a manual wagon... just not spending the loot they want on it when I can get a Vette for 1/2 the price of the same vintage. Rarity be damned!

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Yep saw one last year for $35000 Canadian and should have jumped on it. Now the lowest priced one I have seen is $55+. Dammit.

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

a friend in Las Vegas picked one up when he retired from law enforcement. 6MT. Thing looks pretty cool. I'm a wagon guy so my dream ride is an E63 wagon. I'd have to figure out how to put back in the third row reverse seats for the kid, but other than that I think it would be fun. Got the wife an E550 convertible last year, found a good deal on one in Houston and drove it back to Atl. Fun car to drive the twin turbo v8 makes nice noises, and has torque for miles. And basically unlimited mileage warranty thru 2022. :)

In spite of warnings online, I bought a 2006 Touareg TDI a month or two ago from a friend (original owner, all maintenance history and lots of TLC). 5 liter twin turbo V10, basically an R50. fun off the lights with 560lb/ft @2k rpm, at the wheels (all 4). :) air ride suspension on 20" wheels, 275/40 front and 315/35 rears, locking diffs, etc. Tows the bikes pretty easily. :D About the same price that I was looking at used Golf Sportwagen TDI's.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Worse than my Land Rover?

bored&stroked likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

for $3900... if it lasts 2 years without anything really breaking, its a wash and you got your money's worth. i just picked up a 3 year old GLA45. i know its a tad more maintenance than usual, but its also very similar to my 240SX engine layout wise and easy to work out if i felt so inclined. i'll probably just pay the shop once a year to do the scheduled stuff cause its once a year and i don't have to crawl under it in the parking lot and stink like diff fluid. its fun to have a fun car again, been almost a decade.

also though, the LS430 model before it went to the 460 is a bulletproof awesome car. so there IS that...

the CTS-V is a plastic-ey pile of shit with a fast motor that looks neat so its tempting, worst option of anything listed in this thread (besides the Range Rover, that's gotta be the absolute worst).

i would get a Benz or a BMW any day of the week before i bought a used Audi. take from that what you will. i'd buy an Audi before i bought a Cadillac. i'd buy a Lexus before any of them, and i was about to pull the trigger on a 2 year old IS300 AWD F-sport before this GLA popped up at a dealer where i had the hook up.

7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Thanks but it nickeled and dimed me to death. Only in Mercedes-speak a nickel = $500 and a dime =$1000. Sold it to a local used car lot, lost about $4K on the deal. Good riddance. Will never, EVER buy a Benz again. Their reliability is amazingly awful. I bought a 2018 Corvette Grand Sport convertible. At least it has a 36/36,000 warranty. I'll buy the extended warranty prior to the end of the factory warranty.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

What year was cls?
    Looks like corvette has shorter warranty than benz

9. Sweatypants

Yea did you have a chrysler one? Or a newer one?

10. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I had a hankering for a for a 650i GrandCoupe a while back. Still do really. 100K $ stickers cars that are 4 yrs old for 29K with decent miles. I started researching on the bimmer forums. Someone posted a thread in the 650 section and asked "who has over 30K miles and what issues have you had?"
    Good God man! Some people had their ride in 9-10 times with under 40K miles. All kinds of crazy issues, but gosh are they sexy. Especially the black ones with white leather.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Any German car out of warranty is a no-go for me.
    Unless we go back to when they were better built and easier to work on - like W124, W201 Benz or E28, E30 or E34 BMW

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the 460's? The wife and I are both eyeing one for our next car.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I wasn't really looking at 460's when I bought my 430, but I do recall reading some items about the 460 that make it just a hair less dependable than the 430 (which is considered one of the most dependable automobiles ever made). Do some research first.

Sweatypants likes this.
  14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Suspension and brake issues that weren't addressed until the 2010 model year I believe. Memory is a bit hazy on it at the moment.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Exactly my thoughts. Why shell out ridiculous amounts of money on a performance car when they will never come close to the feelings you get on a motorcycle ?

The GLA 45 is awesome, but you just know it's going to grenade the instant it goes out of warranty. I'd still love to beat the shit out of one someday and if I ever see an occasion to pickup someone's lease for a year or two, I'd pull the trigger for sure.

Sweatypants likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

gt#179 likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

love those wagons, but beige interior :Puke:

i wouldn't take a free car with a beige interior (unless my only other option was a bus pass, then yeah I'll drive it, but not super happily :) )

18. Sweatypants

nothing that i can tell. they're super nice inside, i just know for a fact that last model LS430 was one of the most bulletproof cars ever created and all the mechanics loved them when i worked at Lexus.

19. Sweatypants

its my girl's favorite car out right now, and i also had that temptation when i was looking, but yea... german cars and too many gizmos still makes me weary. a dude in my old condo building had a black M one. BMW always likes to stuff a TON of shit in a tight space when they do turbo cars with a million sensors on them. i wish you could get a 6 series 4-door with the old run of the mill straight 6 motor in it still. that thing, while not that impressive or fast at all, was drop dead reliable. for just a daily comfy cruiser, that woulda been the best for me. i had to say no. also considered a Guilia AWD... they look rad as shit but i have no idea on reliability. people seem to like them.

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Mmmmm no.
    Both have bad suspensions. Rovers are just bags and compressor though. The S55 has hydro's like a low rider. We had one that went threw 4 ABC pumps, from the dealer, within 50miles of each other. MB sent techs from corperate. They never found an answer. We bought the car back from customer and sent it to auction. But the rest of the S55 is pretty solid. Rovers are bad everywhere. Glovebox won't open? That's a $1000 control module for just the glove box.

Sweatypants likes this.