1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danny Walker is 100000% correct

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No. Doesn't matter how wonderful oem electronics are made out to be by magazines and marketing ads. That's the first thing every serious team dumps. Overhyped and overdone.

2. That’s what I was wondering.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Where were all of you when Suzuki was fkn with "Engine Management" in AMA SStk1000...?? Logical Progression...we are now here....

lonewrench, G 97, freeohio and 2 others like this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Lol. Hmmm, is there a rule against electronic warfare on the bikes? Jammers, EMF/EMV emitters. It would be like the old video game Spy Hunter.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is all Ammar's fault.

5axis, VFR#52 and ChemGuy like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Actually blame Schockley and team for inventing transistors. We could all be using vacuum tubes and analog shit and not have to worry about electronics.

7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Unless they can't because it's against the rules. Run OEM only. The teams will quickly figure out "the" bike/electronics package to run and therefore that manufacturer will win races and, in theory, sell more bikes. It will then be on the other manufacturers to close the technology gap on the leading manufacturer in order to be competitive. As a byproduct, the consumer benefits via the bike he can buy actually having the improved electonics on it.
    Win. Win. And the underfunded team isn't shouldering the costs. In addition, teams may be able to get some funded testing and manufacturer involvement in the process of developing said electronics.

pkaustin likes this.
  8. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

The way I read it Honda did do that. It just sucked and almost killed riders.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

So one team owner complains about the struggles they had with a outside vendor and immediately the Superbike rules suck and Motoamerica sucks.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Jesus.

Also pretty sure BSB electronics are not provided for free. How do you think a low budget privateer will feel about having to pay for electronic package that didn't want or need.

lonewrench, YoshiHNS and stk0308 like this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And while bitching about the expensive electronics the ogling and fawning over the next wizz bang 200+ HP monster goes on without any thought of most needing those expensive electronics just to keep the thing under them.....

Of course the same group laments the build it cheap as shit approach to anything under 60hp....

11. Hoffman900

I was told by a top Superbike team that at a track like NJMP, they are 100% power maybe 5% of the lap. Some tracks they never get there.

Been around racing my whole life. Every time they change the rules to increase parity, the same drivers / teams win. They could be racing pit bikes and I guarantee you the order would still be pretty much the same.

BigBird likes this.
  12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

comparing the Honda to the Westby bike is apples to oranges. the stock ECUs are different. the kit ECUs are different. the SBK reference hardware is the same for Honda and Yamaha, but I think its likely the software is different. each championship following WSBK regs allows each manufacturer to have different hardware and different software. Ape and BMW are the only ones left not using the MM MLE hardware, but the reference team can write their own software and must distribute it to privateer teams.

same goes with comparing RRF to BSB Hondas as they use a spec ECU with spec software. at least those other bikes are still on the grid.

placing blame isnt important. I rly don't care who's at fault. whats more important is the consequences and who's going to fix it. the consequences of this perfect storm of stuff going badly for RRF are being felt by MA and only MA. they lost a semi-truck from the paddock when there arent that many to lose. I cant imagine that Honda or MM care one bit about RRF pulling out from MA. itd be nice of any of the 4 parties could have prevented this. but its too late for that and MA is left to deal.

as for who's going to fix this, id guess the problem is just going to go away. without RRF or someone attempting to race a CBR, theres no reason for MA to invest effort into this. with Honda providing support to a new team in WSBK, the Superbike Kit will probably change in some way. maybe they or MM will improve the software or Honda will decide to use a different hardware. of course, that didnt help RRF stay on the grid for 2019 and wouldn't help anyone else trying to race CBRs right away.

and thats another consequence that MA really doesnt need right now. the series needs to be in a position that allows every big dealer in the country with a racing fanatic owner to easily field a SBK team. unfortunately, all those Honda dealers may read this and know that they are even more disadvantaged by the regs. every little bit of negative-reinforcement hurts participation until we are left wondering if there will even be a dozen SBKs on the grid.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

May be why the most innovative new race bikes are mid and small displacement like the Paton, Norton, KTM...

14. This thread reminds me of Harwell's great spec class idea that he would bring up whenever we had the voltmeter out chasing some data problem, or a wheel speed sensor had us sitting in the pits, or I flashed us into oblivion.

Pinewood derby class. You open the box up and it has a set of carburetors, points, and 6 feet of wire. (May have left a couple parts out).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    badmoon692008, TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

You and the online dirt track faithful have wildly different ideas about what a "full field" is. They lament the days when 60-80 riders showed up to run heats to qualify for a 28 rider final. And sometimes your heat wasn't fast enough to get in. Perspective is an interesting thing. More nostalgia in their case, but, there you go.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Question for Broome:
    On the exact same spec bike, do you feel wyman could win a few races?

Because I truly feel if the playing field was leveled, we would see
    Wyman
    Fong
    Scholtz
    Eslick
    Just to name a few able to take a few wins....

drop, VFR#52, 5axis and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hoffman900

Scholtz was in contention for a few wins, not save for some bad luck. Also the tire really threw everyone for a loop. I'm looking forward to seeing them have a full season without that fiasco again. IMO it hurt Westby and Yosh the most.

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

All I got from this is the new CBR is making 220+HP in race mode. Finally.

418 likes this.
  19. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Without good electronics to use it...

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

No one is saying MA sucks. But to pretend as if there is an overwhelming amount of teams and bikes taking to the grid and that the series is in a long term healthy state isn’t exactly accurate either. The series needs more teams to remain viable.

No one is forcing anyone to buy electronics. That’s the point. Most teams can’t afford to keep pace. Teams are finding it difficult from a resource and budgeting point to keep up with the top tier teams. So just better for MA to simplify things and go to a spec or more basic cost effective electronic package using an EMPro/Kit ECU or the like for all teams.

VFR#52 likes this.