1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me. Early to Mid 2000's Mercedes S55's

Discussion in 'General' started by zertrider, Dec 4, 2018.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So for the last year I have been watching Cadillac CTS-V's, with the intention of buying one around the 2010 and newer model year. But about 2 months ago I had a customer come in to the dealership to buy a used RV and he wanted to trade in a 2003 Merc S55 with low miles. Looked at it and though it was pretty sweet. We told him no at that time because we just don't take cars too often. But that thing has kept creeping back into my mind. And they are available stupid cheap for something that lays down 500hp and rides a family of 4 damn comfortably.

Am I nuts for even pondering these things. $10,000 CND buys one with good service records, and 140,000miles

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

That year with that many miles around here is only worth around 6K. Mercedes are expensive to maintain, and are not particularly reliable.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Also if it has the air ride suspension, they're a fortune to repair and go out often.

Get a Lexus LS430...you won't regret it.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was going to say this. The air ride stuff seems to be a huge pain in the ass on high mileage cars.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Run, run fast and far. The 2002-2003 models without the supercharger are a little more friendly towards an enthusiast that doesn't mind working on his piece of shit every weekend if you must have one. At least the engine and transmission is bulletproof on those.

7. zertrider

But, 500hp!!! LS430 is like 300-350. And power everything, including rear reclining seats. And found even more for like $5000 canadian. That less than $3900USD.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Take a minute and ponder why that might be. :)

MGM, gixxerboy55, NemesisR6 and 2 others like this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I take it back. Please buy this and do a blog on this site with Metalhead as the co-author.

sharkattack, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  10. zertrider

More of a "Roadkill" scene running through my head.:beer:

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup.

My Dad pondered for a moment about getting an older W221 s-class until he talked to a mechanic that he trusted, who told him to run.

They are great cars when they work, but if something breaks you're going to be in a world of hurt that may far exceed your initial investment.

12. NemesisR6

That being said, one day I do aspire to own a really well-kept W126 560SEL..........maintenance be damned.

L8RSK8R and Phl218 like this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Dang and after that well thought out response above, willing to fall onto your own sword. :D

NemesisR6 likes this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Did you end up getting that one?

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the LS is not brutally fast, but it's got plenty of go for me. The '07+ 460L has the rear reclining seats (heated/cooled, massage)

16. NemesisR6

My dad had a minty black 560SEL back when I was in college. Few cars are as pleasurable to cruise in.

I borrowed it a few times when he needed my pickup truck, and I swear the trim that would want to get chauffeured around in that car.....almost too easy.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

NO NO NO
    And NO means NO. That generation S55 with ABC suspension is beyond garbage. Drivetrain is fine, but that suspension! So many headaches.....

18. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have one of those I'd sell, 2008 Lexus 460L. What a GREAT car, still looks great and is extraordinarily comfortable, plenty of power, back seat areas is awesome with a fridge, seat heating/cooliong, electric window shades, it is like a limo. Why would we sell it? Because LA traffic, and it doesn't have the stop-and-go adaptive cruise control. Now that I have that on my new car, I can't go back to not having it anymore. The 460L has adaptive cruise, but only down to 25 mph, fine for highway use in flowing traffic but won't handle stop and go.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

The MDX has it, and it makes me get motion sickness. Hate that thing with a passion

20. zertrider

Guess I will just keep watching for a CTS-V then. Be awesome to find a wagon with the 6spd manual. But I have no plans to spend $50g's on one.