1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon is getting scary

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's the speed it happens at, the sheer wealth of selection, and the convenience that's amazing. I can get on my phone while waiting for the coffee to brew, order an item, and it'll be waiting on my porch the next afternoon (if not sooner). While I may have waited for it longer than if I'd driven to the store and bought it, I've used up considerably less of my own time to acquire the product. Had I driven into town, parked, gone into the store, waited in line, paid, then gone home, I'd have at least an hour in it. With Amazon I have less than a minute invested.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The amount of "things" one can accomplish while only moving their thumbs a couple inches is mind blowing.
    Buy daily necessities of life and have them delivered to your door
    Buy christmas presents
    Book tickets for a movie, dinner, plane
    Get into a heated political argument on the internet with a complete stranger

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Depends on how far you chase the rabbit trail. I run to a store, I’m out drive time, shopping time, etc etc. I shop on amazon, then since I’m already online, I’ll hop over to the beeb ... BAM ... I’ve invested 10 years and countless once-functioning and useful brain cells I’ll never get back. :D

scottn likes this.
  4. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Anyone ever had the shipping service play games with your prime shipment?

I recently had USPS mark a shipment "hold at request of recipient". Of course I didn't do that. Then later in the day it changed to "delivered", but didn't actually get delivered until a day later.

I have a friend who works at UPS in the data analytics on the Amazon team. He said they have to send weekly reports to Amazon on the percentage of on time packages, and some routes have consistent anomalies.

Interestingly there doesn't seem to be much automation of data between Amazon and the carriers. He said he actually gets .csv files from them by email and has to manually generate reports!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

When Sears was in its heyday, it was the same concept. They had wide variety, it was in stock and you could get by driving to the store. The had ample employees so there was really no waiting. Same thing, just different now you do it sitting on your ass instead of going to the store.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Mongo said "early 20th century" so he was referring to the old mail order catalogs.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I doubt any young kid is pounding one out to the bra section of Amazon.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was referring to both but mainly the omnipresence Sears had had at the time with regard to shopping. You could even buy an entire house from them.

10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You clearly haven’t been to Amazon Bras :D

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Just a heads up...you can actually find pictures of nude women on the internet and you don't have to rely on the bra section of Amazon praying that the dark thing in the middle of the bra cup is actually a miniscule portion of a nipple and not an ink blotch that came from photoprocessing.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But, if you're one of the unfortunate bastards who's parents have some sort of block on the wifi or you're on some other secure network, it'll do in a pinch.

worthless likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You're not wrong. I know a guy who worked in a Sears distribution center in the 70s, 80s. They even had the robots hauling things around the building like Amazon.

14. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

What now?

Sears had robots in the 70s moving stuff around? Proof?

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Jeezus I miss those days.

17. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I suppose I'm the odd man out here. I hardly use Amazon for much of anything, and when I do, it seems everything comes from different sources, and arrives at different times. I don't really like the web-site that much...

I suppose my wife uses it a bit though, not that much though.

BigBird likes this.
  18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I love Amazon mostly because my Best Western hotel points can be converted to Amazon credit. So far I have gotten a new video card for my computer, a 3d printer, a sound bar for my tv, and lots of little things. I haven’t spent much actual cash there in quite a while.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They've got their tentacles around everything. My wife found a pile of change in a closet this weekend. She was taking it to the Coinstar at Kroger. I informed her that she'd take about an 18% hit with their fees but she said nope, if you convert the money to an Amazon gift car you get all your money back.

jrsamples likes this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Until Amazon sells house kits, they're no Sears!