1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon is getting scary

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I already got everything I ordered on Cyber Monday. It depends on whether the stuff you ordered is carried in the fulfillment centers or has to be sent by third party sellers.

Exactly, when they open a fulfillment center they end up providing 4000 jobs......so whatever they ask the government for, it will always be granted.

A lot of people don't know this, but Amazon also provides medicine and medical equipment to a ton of hospitals as well. So there goes the pharma/medical sector into their pockets.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm waiting a nice set of Edifier self-amplified speakers for my office...

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I got a delivery today at about 3:00. Rural delivery on a Sunday. She said they don't even have room to store packages anymore, it's just chaos. 7 days a week until they clear the backlog.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Here in Orlando I can get stuff same day usually 2 or 3 hours

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Just curious, for the Amazon lovers here, how much are you willing to pay for their service before you say FUA?

They already hit my threshold, so I dropped Prime. I still order from them IF the prices are good and if it offers free shipping. ..... I still get them quicker than it states when ordered so I'm happy. It's not 2 days but that's ok.

We have TWO huge fulfillment centers in my area. Can't imagine how much bigger they can get.

6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

That right there is where you are mistaken, they are getting bigger and are still growing at an alarming rate.

They opened two fulfillment centres in Ontario in the space of one year despite running 4 centers already in the province. Even the centres themselves are expanding their won capacity every year.
    Not to mention expansions around the globe and they also run 45% of internet's traffic.

7. I’m currently browsing in wall speakers for my breakfast area in my new (to me) house. It’s all wired and they have some Polk Atriums but they need to be flush in the wall. When they remodeled the kitchen 2 years ago to the tune of $87k they wired everything in the walls but didn’t put flush mount speakers. Wtf. There is plenty of room for them as well.

8. I got in on Amazon stock mid way. All I can say is I hope they get bigger, even with the profit I have netted so far (and reinvested to more stable stuff) they’ve taken over 2 years off my “need” to work age, 9 more years to go until I’m 52 and can retire.

9. Going to the store must suck :)

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What constitutes a super fancy life jacket?

11. :stupid:

Aside from groceries and motorcycle stuff, I get damn near everything from Amazon. I rarely ever have to go to the mall. Clothes, workout supplements, shoes, electronics, presents, everything.

12. How much is Prime? Mine is setup on autopay and I haven't paid any attention.

Regardless of how much it is, I am sure I still come out ahead because of the free shipping. You can download your purchase history (but I wouldn't advise it), and I believe my personal record for a single year is around $35k. So I am sure the Prime membership has paid for itself.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

prime was raised from 99 to 119 a year. $10 a month easily pays for so called free shipping...what you are actually paying is $10 a month for ALL Amazon shipping.....unless you also use all the other prime stuff (I don't). I do comparison shop and figure in shipping costs...I still find others to be usually cheaper. It's my small part to try and keep them "honest". Also, I don't like the way they bully their suppliers the same way WalMart did (does?)....Hate that too! Let's face it, it's Monday and I hate everything. :mad:

Steeltoe, cha0s#242 and motoracer1100 like this.
  14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

But when $30k is a single 100” tv ... :Poke:

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

or akin to a mix of Ready Player One/Wall-E world, We finish destroying the Earth, no need to go anywhere, everything is delivered, and we live in a VR world.

zrx12man likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

And in terms of pricing, Amazon used to be a leader, now they just mostly follow other stores sales and hope you choose them instead of the other store because of convenience. I have prime, but try to use other vendors, because if they others go out of business, we are in trouble. And btw, Amazon does make most of it's profits from AWS and not selling physical items.

418 and cha0s#242 like this.
  17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I only meant in my region.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Often their prices suck. I certainly enjoy e-shopping around. Not checking other sites is the epitomy of laziness. Come on fatso, just a few more clicks !

418, YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Here in Canada, free shipping is unheard from. Hell it costs me $17 to ship a small package 4 hours away by Canada Post.

I live in the country and prime saves me $$.

In US with lots of stores offering free shipping, it’s a bit different.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I find it hilarious people are so freaked by Amazon essentially being right now what Sears was in the early 20th century :D

backcountryme likes this.