1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Grabber Tires - Yeah or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Dec 3, 2018.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’m looking at a set of General Grabber HTS 60 tires ($640/out the door) for my wife’s Honda Pilot. They seem to get pretty good reviews on TireRack. I’ve never owned a set of General tires, so I’m a little unsure about making the purchase. Any of you guys have good or bad experiences with General tires? The other tires that I’m looking at are the Cooper Discoverer SRX ($742) and the Pirelli All Season Verde Plus ($705).

Thoughts and suggestions, all knowing beeb?

Thanks!

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've had all three on various vehicles. The Coopers lasted the longest, the Pirelli's the shortest...

sharkattack likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I put Dunlops on my wife's Pilot. I'm of the opinion that a tire is a tire unless you're splurging for Michelins. Pep Boys has about 6 different types of tires for under $400 for the set. That's what she's getting next.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Used their Altimax Arctic before, thought they were comparable to the Blizzak's and cheaper. Can't speak to the Grabber specifically but I think they make a decent tire.

5. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’ve been running the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus on my Sequoia. They wear great and stay pretty quiet throughout their useful life. I’m currently on my second set.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Do you guys get a lot of snow in your area ?

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a Honda Pilot...as long as they are round and black and get the job done I'm not certain the brand matters. Better to be certain the tire is designed to function under the driving conditions the wife will face than the brand on the sidewall.

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I had the Reds on one of my Jeeps. Nice and quiet for an AT tire.

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. My wife will make sure to run over every nail, screw, bottle, scrap metal etc so the length of time I'm supposed to get out of a tire doesn't mean squat to me. Only thing that matters is how much.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

TireRack does a fairly good job of rating tires in various categories of performance. I always prioritize the inclement weather ratings, regardless of the tire/vehicle type, when shopping.
    Who cares if it can hold 1g in a turn on a hot summer day or claw its way through 3' of mud, screwdrivers, whathaveyou if you can't stay on the road when there's the slightest amount of moisture?

11. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Used em. Good tire. Last long time.

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Thanks for the thorough review, Captain Verbose. :crackup:

sharkattack and rd400racer like this.
  13. sharkattack

Usually we get a couple decent snowfalls of around 6” or so. But they do a decent job of clearing streets fairly quickly.

14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Picked up a set of Sumitomo Encounter HT for my wife's 2010 Pilot last year. Wasn't sure about the brand name, but did some googling and was happy with the result. The reviews on Tire Rack were fantastic at the time. Looking now, they're listed as "best seller's" and went up $20/tire in a year and a half. $123 now. Very happy with the durability and performance so far.

15. sharkattack

Thx guys. @rd400racer brought up a good point about getting the miles out of the tires. The Coopers have a 75,000 mile warranty, while the Generals have a 60,000 mile warranty, and a set of 4 is only about $100 less.

I’ve got Coopers on my manly CRV, and really like them. Im leaning towards getting them since I want to keep the Pilot for several more years. It’s got 160,000 on it now, and I’m very particular about vehicle maintenance.

I think I’ve talked myself into popping the extra $100 for the Coopers.

Sound good?

rd400racer likes this.
  16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I had two sets of General Grabber AT 2 ‘s on my last truck . Loved them , Great tire . That’s what’s going on the new truck as soon as I burn up the stock Goodyear wranglers

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Michelin or go home. If you went home, the Pirelli's

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Michelin is an over priced tire...IMHO. All tires are gonna suck in their last 25% of life. I try to make that last bit happen in the summer so I can put new tires on for the winter...only partially successful at that. My plow truck is a '95 Chevy with 180k and I only put about 3000 miles a year on it anymore...wouldn't you know that the rears have just hit that magic tread depth where they are starting to suck in the snow but still look sorta OK. Hate getting rid of them now but I know I'm going to get half way done with a plow job and get stuck. :mad:

19. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Put a set of Goodyear Wranglers on my truck. Didn’t get home from having them mounted before I knew I’d made big mistake. Good news was that didn’t last for shit, so I didn’t have to deal with them for too long:)

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

sounds like snow tires are needed for ummmm... snow #justsayin :Poke: