1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2019 Provisional Schedule

Discussion in 'General' started by Yama-saurus, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

i know in 2005 it was all Batey and Jensen.. both running 58’s... I dont remember a 57 but I do know Jensen broke the track record on that R1...

2. blake holt

blake holt Well-Known Member

I wish Jensen would write a book or something about that bounty hunting period. It was long before my time but I have heard tons of stories and am sure there is plenty of real drama, content behind all those records, the traveling to the tracks and the off season negotiations with sponsors that would make an incredible read. I know I’d pay to see it. The way the guys i have talked to make that era sound is awesome. One of the few times in my life I’m jealous of “old timers”.

3. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

t11ravis and TLR67 like this.
  4. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Awesome news!

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The bounty period started way before the Jensen and Deming days. In the middle 80s there was the Seca 2, 500 Interceptor, and of course the 3 Suzuki classes. And those guys included the Texas Tornado, Polen, Harth, and Kurt Hall just 2 name a few.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Brain fart the Seca 2 crash-fest was in the 90s

7. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

COTA will be SBK only. I wonder if stock 1000 can run up into the class?

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Is there going to be concrete dust and crap all over the track at COTA and everyone is going to complain again?

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If they qualify for and purchase a Superbike license I would think they would be able to go out there and get their asses kicked. That is assuming they make the 107% qualifying time. Note: this is not a slight against the SSTK 1000 riders more of a note how good the factory Superbike teams and riders are. Anyone that qualifies for an MA race could kick my old slow track day riding ass.

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I tend to remember Bobby Fong kicking ass there on his SSTK1000 Kawasaki a few years back. I don't know how much the rules have changed since then though.

11. 2blueYam

Different deal now. They are not on track at the same time and only run 1 race at most tracks. Most of the teams and riders are no longer of that caliber, at least they were not last year. The fastest Stock 1000 rider would have typically qualified around 15th out of 18. Wyman ran a few times and would be capable as might a few others, so I will stand partially corrected for the top 3 or 4 stock 1000 riders. The rest would battle with the SBK “wildcards” at the back of the field or miss the cutoff. That is a lot of time and money to finish 15th in a one off when they could use the money for more practice time, people time or parts.

12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Superstock1000 was allowed aftermarket triple clamps & shock linkage, a custom fuel tank, and potentially a slightly more advanced ECU. everything else is mostly the same for Stock1000. im sure all that is worth some time. I have no idea how much.

Andrew, Travis, and Chad would prob be so focused on the STK1000 championship that they wouldn't even consider racing in SBK for 1 round. im not sure if anyone else is fast enough to qualify.

13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Isn't there some rule that you can't race the lower classes (like STK1000) if you held a superbike licence? Maybe that's just for the little bike classes?

DucatiBomber likes this.
  14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

No you are correct. Applies to STK1000 and The little bike class which is even more restrictive .

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

It's difficult to compare the capability of the top Stock 1000 riders to SBK. They get far less track time and when they are on track the conditions generally aren't the best (early morning or late afternoon sessions). The bike specs are much different as well. Stock 1000 is about as stock as you can go racing on. At a more technical track, like Sonoma, my rider would have probably been able to break the top 10 in SBK on his Stock 1000 bike. Most of the time our race pace was about 3 seconds/ lap off SBK podium pace. With more track time and the ability to do more with the chassis I'm sure Andrew could do very well in SBK.

MA will let Stock 1000 riders wildcard in SBK. We looked at doing Laguna this season since Stock 1000 wasn't racing there. We couldn't justify the cost to build a somewhat competitive bike for just one round. We also didn't want to be limited by running the Stock 1000 bike and not give Andrew a package that allowed him to show his real potential. Instead of doing a SBK wild card we put those funds towards the Suzuka 8 hour and that ended up being the turning point of the season. He was a different rider once we got back from Japan, so I'd say it was definitely the better investment.

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

We were very thankful for it!

17. 2blueYam

Yes, I was speaking of running on their Stock 1000 bikes, so yeah, that is part of it. On a decent Superbike build, I am sure they would be closer in times. Best of luck to any teams and riders that make a go of it!