1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was anyone else long on Bitcoin Cash before today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Nov 12, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

A 6 or 7 figure brokerage account with a household name company is one thing.

A couple-few hundred in completely made-up 1s and 0s on a website you never damn well heard of before last week is another thing entirely.

Like I said, thankfully JMBullion took bitcoin or I'd probably have written the whole thing off as a lesson in stoopid.

dtalbott likes this.
  2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

They (regulated, US based, large investors) have no information on me they couldn't find from about a dozen or more commercial databases. Name, address, DL number, height, weight, picture, motorcycle endorsement lol. Cracks me up people dont realize your false sense of privacy and data security is a farce.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  3. auminer

I am very well aware of the fact that my identity data is nowhere near as secure as I would prefer. That doesn't mean that I am going to put my SSN on a billboard and dare anyone to try to use it

4. rwdfun

rwdfun

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So how quickly after quantum computing becomes a thing will cryptocurrency go completely belly-up?

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

About 3 days after you take delivery of your personal flying car. That should cover about the time frame it will take quantum computing to hit your desktop.

rd49 and SethG like this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

kangasj, DucatiBomber and KrooklynSV like this.
  9. auminer

But is that smug feeling from actually having been proven right, or just from not yet having been proven wrong?

I once bought a stock that had just undergone a 10-1 reverse split and fallen from even that level... My smug partners said I was stoopid and refused to buy it for the hedge fund... but they missed out when said stock then proceeded to gain 3000% over the following three years.

Beware the smug.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A rebound is nothing to help all the people who sold at a huge loss after assuring that irrational rise. So I'm good.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You got any interest in a tulip farm in the Netherlands?

13. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

You bring up an excellent point about investment horizon. However, as Keynes once said (arguably one of his finer points), "In the long run we're all dead."

I doubt many of the average crypto traders are holding onto their positions for 3 years.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Mth$&^%Jling crypto I don't ever want to hear that word again

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

$700 billion in losses and falling.

This is brutal.

Also predictable.

Sweatypants and DucatiBomber like this.
  16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

One guy i know was very very very very deep into the mining of it.
    He's now converted that equipment and infrastructure into an exchange for 20+ different types of currency. Like ForEx, but with crypto.
    He's taking his 0.05% commission on each trade and no longer mining. He's going to be making money for a long time b/c everyone is hopeful that they have the "next" crypto currency and eventually need to convert it...

17. Kelly Rees

Kelly Rees Well-Known Member

I'm still up but I didnt buy bitcoin. I bought then sold LTC and then bought all in with XRP at 22 cents. Its dumped from around $3 at its high to .34 today. I bought and sold a few times on spikes. Am I worried? Nope. I didnt buy more than I could afford to throw away. Also if you look at the charts I bought on Dec 7 last year at .22, the massive gains started mid Dec and peaked early january. Same as the year before.

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

19. auminer

A quote often attributed (likely misattributed) to Keynes:

Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent.

418 likes this.
  20. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I don't see a problem in keeping some money in Bitcoin, the logic on which it is predicated as well as its use will never fail. There are people out there who want anonymity with all or some of their transactions and this can only increase. Just like businesses as well as consumers are spending much more nowadays on security and privacy (online) than they did 5 or 10 years ago. I would buy now.

It is a volatile asset and not for the feint of heart, but if you as an individual believe in its value and use then stand your ground during these tough times.