1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Fine by me. I'm an analog kinda guy anyway. If I want pixels in my vision, I'll drop a good dose of acid. :eek: :D

2. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’m with ya haha!!!

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I'm not convinced that is a very good design, maybe for hunting...maybe.

I am very interested in the new HUD display scopes where your ballistics are entered and you can stay on target, eye in scope, and dial your solution in watching the yardage change with each click on the HUD. I was waiting for Revic to come out with a mil reticle but it looks like the mil they are going to go with sucks. It has a Horus style but they included MOA and it looks like a clusterfuck, such a shame. The Steiner IFS looks titties but is not in the US yet. I think that is going to be the one to get.
    In my opinion, both of these are better than the Sig, just a simple HUD on top with your ballistics downloaded in the scope.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/16/steiner-m7xi-ifs-4-28x56/

http://www.revicoptics.com/product/pmr-smart-scope-rifle/

4. fastfreddie

5K Euros?
    <ahem>

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

LOL, no I would not pay that much. I think the bigger picture is that these will be the future and prices will come down. Can't wait to see what others makers do in the coming years.

6. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Nightforce will have a better solution here soon. Much cheaper as well.

Look for it at SHOT.

blkduc likes this.
  7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Looking at MP-5 clones.
    Probably go "pistol" route first while waiting for Form1 SBRness.

Who's out there?
    I know of PTR, Zenith, MKE, Omega, Bretheren, Dakota Tactical, POF (pakistani ordinance firearm)
    Palmetto was advertising one at SHOT last year, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Any opinions, thoughts or experience with these companies would be helpful. The model(s) I'm looking at fall into the $1,700 - $22oo price range, depending on manufacturer. Anyone got a hookup?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    SpeedyE likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

I hear Sig's MPX gives the MP-5 a run for its money.

9. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

The Sig is actually semi-heavy and gassy when suppressed not to mention expensive for no reason...because Sig.

If anyone is into IWB concealed carry options, I just received my Quiet Violent Over (QVO) tactical more discreet holster for my 19. Quality is awesome and the comfort and retention are nice for apendix carry. Also got a Vedder IWB with wing for my 365, awesome as well.

10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

1- Real HK94 carbine or HK SP89, or the new hk-sp89.
    2-MKE (zenith), built on real HK tooling in Turkey. Good gun.
    3-PTR (I didnt know they made an MP5......there 91's were top-notch)
    I dont like the Paki POF ones as much as the MKE ones. Sloppier attention to details.
    I think omega is owned by Todd Bailey.....red flag.
    Dakota Tactical supposed to be good, as is the DJ Getz guns.
    I think the best handbuilt ones are from some guy who goes by the moniker of Parabellum on HKPro. His stuff imho, is as good as German HK. Very pricey though.

If you are going to sbr it, I would watch the atlantic firearm site and wait for an MKE "Reverse Stretch" pistol to pop up for sale. Front-end is short/K-type. Rear is same length as std MP5 and allows all the good/collapsible stocks.

I used to convert beat-up HK94's carbines, into remarked/rebuilt MP5 'sear-host' SBR's.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    gt#179 and Jedb like this.
  11. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked slightly odd guns and don’t care to own a lot but after owning a few that had way more FTFs I’m thinking about a Glock and be done with it.

Guy has a Gen5 17 supposedly new and wants $525. Doesn’t seem like a smoking deal but I also can’t find anywhere online or any records of them ever really selling cheap. I’m a frugal man and incase I end up selling it for whatever reason I want to be able recoupe as much as possible obviously. So try the new used route or pony up the $550 I’m seeing plus tax for one from a store?

12. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

Look into signing up for the 2 year gssf membership. It includes membership for shooting gssf, a small glock bag and a gssf discount cert for glock. You have to do the two year, otherwise you have to wait a year and sign up an additional year membership to get the discount.

With the discount, the gen 5 17 should be $425 so add in the $60 membership fee, you end up getting a brand new for $485.

You can go to glock website to see what dealers in your area participate in the blue label discount (gssf discount card).

Just a thought! The discount is for all glock models if you change your mind. Just Google gssf pricing and you can download the price list!

mike-guy likes this.
  13. stymie12000

Since this is the handgun thread, I'll put this here.

I've been working as a gunsmith for the past year or so. Specializing in custom 1911/2011 stuff. Also do other things.

Here is one of my 2011 10mm with in house machined stainless compensator.

This gun is awsome especially once you really spice up the load (1300fps 180gr). Shoots super flat for follow up shots.

Anyway here is a couple of pics. I will also upload some other builds. Once in a while!

[​IMG]20171124_111110 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20171124_115423 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180113_162111 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180113_162127 by matt, on Flickr

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

@mike-guy , definitely listen to stymie. The GSSF program is pretty awesome. There are a ton more fringe benefits like GSSF matches where they give away prize guns like candy, and the fact they have armorers on site to fix/diagnose any issues you may be having. I've seen people take 10 year old guns with who knows how many thousands of rounds through them and end up with new barrels etc at no charge at that table.

mike-guy likes this.
  15. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Wow that really is an amazing program they have. The dealer locator doesn't want to work for me but my big local score I called and they said they aren't and the closest they know of is 2.5 hours away. Kind of a blower but who knows, I appreciate the heads up for sure.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Great work! That is really nice looking.

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I really like the S&W-1006 and the S&W-1066 that I have, but have not entered into the 1911 10mm market. To be honest, I'm not a 1911 fan by any stretch of the imagination. That pistol, however, given the attention to detail, that it's a 10mm, and that it's a double stack has my attention, and would possibly have my money.

Can you post up more information about the build? Very very nice work.

18. stymie12000

CK Arms 2011 frame
    Caspian bare stainless slide
    Infinity (SVI) barrel cut down & threaded
    CK Arms stainless grip
    STI tactical magwell
    EGW slide stop and small parts
    EGW ignition kit
    LPA rear adjustable sight
    STI recoil master

Slide and frame is gunsmith fit to .001 tolerance. Then barrel is gunsmith fit to insure best possible lockup. Then I cut down slide. Off the top of my head I cut it down .750" but need to double check my notes. Cut the barrel to proper length, then thread and crown 11 degrees. The compensator is just over an inch. So overall length is about half an inch longer than government length. Cut custom serrations, ball cuts, flat top slide, and dovetail for sights. Fit grip, trigger, ignition kit, safety, etc. Cerakote and polish slide and grip, also blend compensator to slide.

It is a very cool gun and awsome to shoot.
    The double stack changes the grip profile. I prefer the double stack grip feel better than single stack. And it's hard to argue the extra rounds that the mag can hold. With this build you can get 2011 40/10mm 170mm mag with base pads. This will give you 26 rounds of 10mm. If you can afford to shoot that much 10mm....

Here's a few more pics of this build!

[​IMG]20180109_144930 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180109_145432 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180127_144503 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20171223_095926 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20171223_110621 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180316_140635 by matt, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180316_140640 by matt, on Flickr

SpeedyE, blkduc, Yzasserina and 3 others like this.
  19. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Optics Planet has some pretty good deals happening. Get an extra 11% off with code BFCYBER at check out. Ordered a few Glock sights for a Thanksgiving gift to myself.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you hate America!

SpeedyE and scottn like this.