1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a scope. School me.

Discussion in 'General' started by _indy, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

Look at the vortex strike eagle, I have it on my AR & love it. It’s a 1x8, it’s good for close quarters or out to 400yds

Attached Files:

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I like that scope for the multi-purpose use you gain from it. I’m definitely considering the Strike Eagle

jeremy dunn likes this.
  3. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

It even has an illuminated reticle which I thought was a pretty cool feature.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I see Vortex just released a new Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 ffp with the same ebr-2c reticle as my Viper Gen 2. Might be a nice, slight upgrade from my Athlon Ares on my competition 22.

5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

im also looking for a scope in the 1x8 power but would love a ffp or i would have snagged one of the vortex.

6. speedluvn

Ffp?

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

First focal plane.

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  8. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

First focal plane. The retical follows the magnification.

speedluvn likes this.
  9. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

First Focal Plane, so the reticle size appears to change with magnification for accurate ranging. It didn't actually change size you are just magnifieing it with the target.

speedluvn likes this.
  10. speedluvn

Thanks!

11. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

FFP looks interesting.
    Just didn't want pay as much for the scope as the gun. BUT if it works.
    Will need to check one out.

The wide diversity of information on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
    KEEP IT UP. Thanks.

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Killed a couple pigs this week with My night force shv 3-10x42 w/ plex reticle on the 6.8. Nothin fancy scopewise but just wanted a tough scope that can take getting tossed around while riding in the truck or on the Polaris at 45 mph in the woods

Before I interrupted their dinner
    [​IMG]

13. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Don't get hung up on first focal and second focal plane and have that be your only deciding factor. If your hunting or target shooting at long unknown distances then first is what you want so you don't have to go back and forth through mag range to EST distance. If your hunting on your land you can scout out and know point to point distances you can dial elevation or just hold over accordingly. There is price differences out there for first and second plane scopes and you might not want to pay more. Buy quality and durability no matter the mag range or focal plane and if you only plan on shooting on a piece of land that is 400 yards you don't need $2500 and 30x to do it. All manufacturers have something to accomodate and will have quality ..optics in a 10x or less scope.

14. speedluvn

Does anyone have any experience with the Zerobravo Rapid Engagement offset sights?

Seeking additional input besides buyers guide reviews.

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I didn't know Scope still a distributed mouthwash.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Seekins and no scope height isn't a preference.

17. speedluvn

Noted!
    Ever heard of or have experience with them?

18. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

My gut reaction: Go with the mid-priced scope of your choice. All of them will be very serviceable. The lowest priced options will at best be hit or miss, pun intended. Upper range scopes will be far more worthy than your rifle. I'm not all that familiar with the AR platform, but what MOA can be expected from your rifle?

19. speedluvn

I got a Vortex Strike Eagle. My learning curve will be steep. I have no expectations as of yet. Im considering 3 gun and looking for a back up sight. I liked that I don't have to flip sights with ZeroBravo but being in other hobbies I understand that you have a lot of gimmick accessories that can be garbage. I wanna spend my money wisely.

_indy likes this.