1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howza 'bout a 2019 WSBK Silly Season Thread...

Discussion in 'General' started by Steady T, Jul 17, 2018.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive never thought about that. im not sure I can. what u find entertaining is not necessarily what I find entertaining. maybe for the sake of this convo, anything that causes a fan to watch races, visit tracks, buy merchandise, post on forums, watch YT vids (etc) and/or want to do those things is 'entertainment'. but thats so broad that it might not be helpful.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Is Scott Redding entertaining?

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

To people who like watching grown men act like 12 yr olds on social media? Sure. :D

4. stangmx13

yes. his shit-show brings something to GP and is likely causing more ppl to watch, tune-in, or follow along.

I can probably relate this idea of "entertaining" to what I think causes ppl to listen to BrotoGP. our numbers are better anytime someone does something crazy, anytime there is some drama. the Fenati incident more than doubled our previous maximum for downloads and views. it was unexpected, new, and shocking so ppl tuned-in. other more "vanilla" weekends where some racing happened get lower numbers. I bet the Moto2 feed for that race saw a similar spike in viewership.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know what, yeah. He's like Dumb and Dumber. No matter how "smart" you think you are you can't help but laugh when they're eating the pepper or when Harry poops.

Now Herrin, he's high brow. He's Chow popping out of the trunk of the Mercedes naked, hitting everyone with the tire iron and saying "you going to f@ck on me?"

6. metricdevilmoto

Well, the entertaining guy is getting busted down to the minors and boring ol Pedrosa is retiring a millionaire after 12 years on a factory Honda ride.

And I understand that people love a shit show, I'm just not sure why. It's why the thread about the GNF on this forum has a fraction of the posts as the thread about a bike sale gone bad or a thread about a track day meltdown on social media.

I'm not surprised people were drawn in by the Fenati incident. It's really unfortunate that something like that, which is the worst case scenario of motorcycle racing and the racing community, is what it takes to draw in the same people who made a Roseanne reboot show possible and have 10 million people tune in.

I don't find Redding entertaining. I find Johnny Rea entertaining, but he just races a motorcycle very well and exhibits adult like behavior in regards to interviews and social media.

HPPT, Gorilla George and Steeltoe like this.
  7. metricdevilmoto

I think Redding is an adult baby and I'm not interested in his bullshit. If he was proper fast, maybe. But from where I sit, if he spent as much time training or preparing or being a professional motorcycle racer as he did fucking off on social media, his bullshit might get more tolerable.

Fat chicks have to be nice, remember?

8. metricdevilmoto

Oh, and boring Johnny Rea will retire a millionaire from a factory squad as well with more than a few world championships.

Redding will end up punching an Uber driver and then @stangmx13 can double his downloads again and we can have an 1800 page thread about it.

I understand why it happens, but I wish it didn't.

9. stangmx13

if motorcycle racing was in the position of ball sports where fans seemed to be endless and there was shit tons of $$ in the teams and organizations, then maybe id be more picky about what and how racing stays exciting. until then, no press is bad press.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mike, I'm much bigger of a fan (late to the party though) of Rea than the gooners and I'd like to think I'm smarter than dick and fart jokes but . . . harry on the toilet! Dude!

I seriously get what you are saying and I'm with ya'.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

You're a bit off the mark. In regards to what the racing paddock will sustain, anyways. The nuts don't run the nut house.

We, and the people writing the checks for what's left of the proper paid rides (domestic and abroad) can agree to disagree.

Anthony Gobert was entertaining.

So was Colin Edwards.

One of them retired from roadracing as a millionaire and the other one is Anthony Gobert.

RRP and Gorilla George like this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, Ant-ney "retired" with a nice amount of cash and his manager . . . well, I don't feel like getting sued so I don't know what happened with his money.

13. metricdevilmoto

I'm far from being above the dick and fart joke crowd, man. Not even close.

Domestically speaking, I think Mladin was a good balance. (Coincidentally, also retired a millionaire.) Spies had slightly less entertainment value, but he was a PR dream.

And I loved watching Danny Eslick ride from back in the Grant Matsushima days. He was entertaining. With his bike control, I thought he'd be next. We know how that went.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Steeltoe and Gorilla George like this.
  14. metricdevilmoto

Keep slowing down to look at the fender bender on the side of the road and everyone else will be forced to....

RRP likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mike, I'm a huge Mladin fan and his way of doing things (and thinking).
    I'd argue, on the right day, he was the best pure superbike rider. period.

Catch me on the right day and maybe Bayliss might take his spot. Now, Rea might be knocking on the door. :) Those three are IT.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

How close are the bikes in bsb to WSBK? Does bsb and WSBK run at the same tracks on the same tires?
    I always thought Redding was fast, and hopefully he runs competitive times compared to WSBK next year.

17. metricdevilmoto

Couldn't agree more with that assessment.

Especially with the Bayliss win in GP at Valencia in 06. It was like Spies winning in 09 in WSBK. It proved you had to be that good.

18. metricdevilmoto

I never said he wasn't fast and I think Redding will destroy BSB next season. But he's a dickhead. If the team takes his cell phone away and there's enough room in the contract for him to hire a handler, it might get better for him. But the road from GP to BSB and back is a tough one.

19. stangmx13

and yet u are still talking about Gobert, so he def contributed something to the sport. I didnt say that all press has the SAME value, just that it all has SOME value.

I don't think that a rider's salary is a good indicator of their contribution to the sport, nor their entertainment value. obviously skill and results play a large part in their salary which may or may not have anything to do w/ how entertaining they are.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gobert could have been bigger than Jesus, the Beatles and Marquez. He wasted his talents being a fool.

metricdevilmoto and SirCrashAlot like this.