1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP Changes - Biggest change ONE Helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As someone who has to accept what he feels are shit helmets because they supposedly meet one of the buhzillion standards I totally get why they're doing it. I'd bet they've seen shit helmets not working as well as good helmets and are tired of it. If I had that kind of pull I'd do it in a heartbeat.

2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

seems to me like they want to combine all the existing ones into one cert/seal with their name on it.

this way they can cash in on all the others work in the name of safety.

just a guess.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Believe it. Riders in our stuff run shit because they got it free, they then promote that shit to others. In GP's you have them getting free shit AND a bunch of cash to run shit helmets.

What I've always liked is those smart enough to ignore the offers and buy good helmets off the shelf.

turner38 and BigBird like this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It is in the article you read. :Poke:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys should work more corners or go out to more crash scenes. You don't do rules like that for money, you can make way more money in other places way easier.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Garth don't read everything, he ain't got time fo dat :D

G 97 likes this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

One of the most frustrating conversations I've had, was at one of my supermoto days trying to explain why this guy's helmet wasn't good enough, despite it passing other trackday rules and being a Snell helmet. And I was having to explain this to him AFTER he crashed at 20 mph wearing the same model helmet and got a bleed on his brain... It was an icon helmet btw..

8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

then again, I guess it could eliminate counterfeit certs since they want to number each helmet on their own.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

the mohawk probably affected the effectiveness of the helmet. At least they probably had a back protector for safety with no shirt on

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Not specifically. It mentions them conducting helmet test but doesn’t specifically state what the new requirement are. It doesn’t state what exactly the standards are other then they are making them more uniform etc.

11. noles19

I wish it had a mohawk, it may have helped it not crack like it did...

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Relatively to the international standards previously referred to, the FIM homologated helmets have undergone an enhanced and more complete evaluation of their performance; this includes an assessment of the protection against low, medium and high velocity linear impacts, oblique impacts and penetration.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

:eek:

noles19 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bite my tongue about helmets these days and there ain't much tongue left. It truly scares the hell out of me because people believe the certifications are everything and will run all sorts of crap. But if I dare to actually use personal experience I'm the bad guy for daring to dis their cheap or free helmet.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh I get that. I was starting post just this. The WERA racers would be better served if WERA were to implement something like this. I just don’t see a huge impact of this effecting Motogp.

Do you think that subpar helmets are a regular happening in MOTOGP. I would be hard pressed to believe that any rider at that level would knowingly or willingly put on a substandard helmet.

I think you hit the nail on the head. FIM has this pull so they are going to do it regardless.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Blah blah blah, low, medium and high speed direct deposit to the FIM bank account to use testing standard x, blah blah blah bling bling, everyone at the FIM gets a dune buggy!

The Great One likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think the riders at any level are willing to trust the people making the crap helmets. Just because they race MotoGP doesn't remotely make them any smarter than club racers. They're just better at riding fast.

rcarson15 and BigBird like this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

:D
    Hey now. I didn’t Broome Nothin. :D

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

dude's pull the brake of another racer during a race, sure they are stupid enough to, because money talks, and "it can't happen to me" are normal human responses

G 97 likes this.
  20. noles19

Exactly, I told him the day he crashed and his friend wearing the same helmet. Those aren't good helmets, don't bring them back here... And they showed up the next month with a new helmet but the same model. "Oh this is Snell 2015 like the rules said and oh I think his crash proves how good it is sinces he's okay now"
    I told them how I felt about it, and made plenty of suggestions on helmets that would give them a much better shot at not having that happen in my experience. And it fell on deaf ears.