1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 MotoGP Changes - Biggest change ONE Helmet standard

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 9, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

There will be one FIM Helmet standard for racing. Hopefully this makes it safer for all.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/...tent=MAL_GPCommission_en&utm_campaign=Traffic

"This means that there will now be a single, enhanced standard for helmets, replacing the various international standards used before (ECE, Snell and JIS)...The FIM Homologation Label will uniquely identify each helmet that access FIM Grand Prix competitions"

In addition
    • "Technical Director has been granted authority to download data directly from the ECU"
    • "teams are now restricted to only using the official unified CAN decoupler which may also not be modified or have additions" (No more potential trickery of the ECU/IMU)
    • misc

Phl218 likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gonna eliminate a few brands and cost the racers a lot of money.

How they gonna buy a ride in moto2 without Nolapionlite money?

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You don't think those companies will make one off helmets or just rebrand the other helmets as their own like they have in the past?

track wagon likes this.
  4. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

thats not how I read it. looks like a new standard certification to be met by the helmet manufacturers but not a standard helmet for the racers.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope. Won't work anymore, not with instagrams, all the websites with high res photos, BBSs and everything else. Can't go sticking a NAVA sticker on your Arai anymore.

I see it going more like F1 with the riders buying their lids from Arai, Bell and schuberth.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

It seems like they are uniting all the varying standards for safety and at the end make it safer for all.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

and probably lining their pockets with the sanctioning fees to get the certification.

JBraun, sheepofblue and G 97 like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well just be glad they did not standardize on a single size.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But not everyone can agree on what is safer. Snell, Dot, ECE 22.05, JIS. . . sounds like Snell but I haven't seen all the info.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Hmmmm FIM establishing safety ratings for helmets. Why limited it to helmets? I think this is more about the FIM increasing their influence on motorcycle related industries then anything related to safety.

Honestly, what outstanding issues are they actually solving with this new mandate. Where helmets unsafe in the past?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

the article speaks to checking helmets on grid or wherever, that they can easily identify if a helmet is acceptable or not for racing. And again, maybe the FIM standard will just be for FIM, and street helmets will/can still have those other standards alone.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh, I read the complete article. The inspection can be done pre race with the FIM doing the inspection then placing a small tech sticker on said helmet that they approve.
    I look at this as more of the FIM trying to spread their influence onto the motorcycle community. It certainly has zero impact on any level of safety. So, alll of the sudden the FIM knows more about helmet safety then the orgs and manufacturers who have been doing it for decades. There’s no upside to the FIM doing this unless it adds to their coffers either directly or indirectly.

JBraun and Gorilla George like this.
  13. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

certainly. and I suspect other motives associated with the love of money.

has there been any recent helmet controversies requiring adjudication?

cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah what he said. :D

15. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I, for one, would doubt that any racer with the skill required to participate in an FIM sanctioned event would be risking their safety with a K-Mart helmet. I just can't imagine anyone at that level - even backmarkers - trusting some off brand or cheapo lid. Even though the different standards test different things they all establish a very high tolerance for safety.

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

easy now.. the risk of getting blacklisted by the hive for stuff like that is rather large. lol

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

i don't doubt that they are mostly all safe, but remember some/most are paid to wear a helmet, so who's to say that a racer that needs money for racing doesn't take some sub brand's money.

18. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

This is probably out of ignorance.. but what helmets do GP riders wear that don't fit that already? I would assume most of them wear brain buckets worthy of saving their brain at break-neck speeds?

jbrussell188 likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

So what standard(s) is FIM going to implement or create. Then what test are they going to conduct to support their standards?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah