1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale’s now available in the USA

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by gpstar748, Sep 1, 2018.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I am still heavily considering the options. I do like the Ohvale, just have to move some #'s around and see what I can do. I'd still keep the Grom for me to chase them around in.

The Ohvale is a purpose built bike vs. the Honda which is built for grocery getting - Us idiot racers just had to convert them..lol

Trust me I do get the value of the bike and no offense intended.

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

No offense taken whatsoever man! I love talking about these things because I truly do believe they’re the best thing to happen for our sport in a long time.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yea, in the same boat. Got a 7yr old racing with OMRL right now doing ok for his first year, and already talking about a bigger bike. I will keep him on the 50 for another year at least and have been looking at what the next step will be. What are parts like for these, like a new set of forks if they get bent and even swing arm.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yea, Please don't take this as we are beating you down just cause of price. Just general conversation about the Ohvale. It would be great to have a legit bike for kids to have for years and get a lot of seat time on as they grow. I just didn't expect the price of a used street bike at 7 yrs old..:crackup:

5. gpstar748

Renzo Ferreira crashed his Ohvale in a 4th gear kink at our test at NJMP kart track a few weeks ago...it slid, flipped, slid, flipped 3 times and was nearly 4 feet in the air at one point.

It just had some minor road rash on the top of the tank and tail section and bent the right side clip on. We replaced the clip on and good to go!

Mathew Scholtz saw the whole thing happen when he stopped by to check them out and was impressed at how well it crashed, we all were to be honest as the crash was bad enough that we figured it was gonna be totaled.

Parts are very inexpensive. I like to say it’s like buying into a platform. The initial cost is on the high side but then cheap.

The chassis for the 110 and 160 is actually the same so you could buy a 110 first and then swap up to a bigger engine when your kid is ready. A new 160 engine from the factory is around $700.

sbk1198, TurboBlew and assjuice cyrus like this.
  6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

We have a lot of CRF150R's in Denver. Which compares more to that, the 160 or 190? Also, are both motors Japanese made?

2016 CRF150R Big Wheel 23.5 HP @ 12,500 RPM 10.40 TQ @ 11,000 RPM 187 lbs .126

7. gpstar748

The 190 puts out around 24hp and weighs about 150 pounds wet.

These are all air cooled engines as well as opposed to the liquid cooled 150R.

The 190 has a Daytona motor from Japan. All other models have a Zongshen motor from China.

TurboBlew and tecknojoe like this.
  8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

At the rear wheel?

9. gpstar748

Haven't dyno'd one yet to be sure so I can't accurately provide that information. I'll see if we can't get one on a dyno sometime soon and find out.

triplestrong likes this.
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to see the results. It's been quite awhile since I've played in the pit bike scene, when I left the 190 Animas were a solid 17 to 18hp rear wheel motor. 24hp would be a HUGE improvement. The only motors I saw hitting those numbers were 220cc + grenades that usually only lasted for the one dyno pull.

11. Ethan Wakefield

Ethan Wakefield Active Member

I went kart track with my crf150r this Sunday and met 3 guys with brand new Ohavle 190s. They were awesome! My 150r is pretty new to me and the gearing was just a guess. I top out about 1/4 to 1/3 down the straight. That being said the 190s could pull me in and pass me on the straight, they are fast. One of them had an AIM Solo and aid they were getting up to around 60 mph.
    The 150 seemed faster/more stable in the turns and accelerating out of them better. I really liked the Ohavle's and it was these guys first time out, but they were really struggling with them. I'm thinking some rear set adjustment and they will find them more comfortable.

I'd definitely prefer my setup 150r for now. I hope they catch on an possibly do a model with 12" wheels.

12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ what were they riding before?

13. Ethan Wakefield

Ethan Wakefield Active Member

Not sure, this was the first time I had met them. One guy mentioned he was much more comfortable (ergonomically) on the 65 he had been riding. So I'm guessing a KX65 or something

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

With the HP numbers being claimed for those bikes, 60mph is not impressive, gear for 85 and you should still be taching out. :D

15. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

I have a Kayo and a KX65 set up for road racing. The Kayo is much more fun in the corners and I love how it’s similar to my big bike so the training translates well so the lack of power doesn’t bother me. But with that being said I’m only 5’9” and in great shape and the damn Kayo gives me dead legs the following day and makes my back sore. That’s why I have to split time with the kx65 lol. I would drop the money on an ohvale in a heartbeat but it’s just too damn small. It’s a shame because they are sweet.

16. gpstar748

How tall are you? Have you ridden the Ohvale yet? We’ve had people ride them all day that are over 6’ and loved it

Marcos415 likes this.
  17. gpstar748

Josh Herrin had our 190 up to 70mph with stock gearing at NJMP kart track.

We’re selling the crap out of them considering we’ve only been doing it for 3 months now. We’re also doing a lot to grow the sport of “mini-racing” in the USA which in turn we hope helps the sport as a whole.

Those guys all just got theirs so still getting used to them.

Unfortunately a 12” bike isn’t in the works but little birdies have rumored a possibly 17” Moto3 inspired bike in the future...

18. Marcos415

I have not ridden an Ohvale. I'm 5'9" and have a kayo that I absolutely love so no doubt in my mind I would like the Ohvale. But like I said it's too cramped and my legs and back ache the next day. The kx65 I can ride all day but I do prefer kayo.

19. Marcos415

An Ohvale that's bigger than a kayo would be ideal, not smaller.

Attached Files:

20. gpstar748

Honestly, before you discount it and say it’ll be too cramped you should ride one.

I’m 5’11” and have no problems on them.