1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Utah Peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Nov 1, 2018.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Hey Utah residents, how do cops and the highway patrol treat motorcyclists there in your experience? Here is why I ask. My dad has been considering moving to the St George area(Hurricane, Washington). He was up in the area last week staying in his motorhome to check out some houses and scout some possible riding areas. He was out for a ride on his R1, wearing leathers like he usually does. While stopped to get gas, 2 highway patrolman and a local cop who were there come over and tell him, "we don't like your kind around here." He asked why. They made it clear they don't like guys on sportbikes and insinuated that wearing leathers must mean he is reckless. He told them wearing leathers doesn't mean he is reckless, it means he wants protection if something bad happens. He put on his helmet, went back to his motorhome, loaded up and left Utah he was so pissed. It seems crazy that in today's day and age, cops would actually say this. I think cops everywhere have a bias against guys on sportbikes, but to actually say that to a guy just putting gas in his bike seems ridiculous to me. I can't blame him for saying "Eff Utah, why would I spend my money there". I will mention, my dad is 68. Not exactly a hooligan.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I don't live there, but been there many times on a bike. Hardly ever saw a LEO, but all cases were positive. Weird.

3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

He should have said .... F@ck you Mormons.. I don't like people with made up religions :D

4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I will bet that no one on here live near St. G. I'm sure Cortez can give you an idea about SLC LE.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I jokingly told him maybe they meant non mormons. He said, " No, they made it clear guys on sportbikes."

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The older ones in leathers are the ones you really need to keep an eye on. :D

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

No, they clearly knew just by looking at him he wasn't LDS and therefore wanted to murder him on the spot. They had probably just finished their rounds of the hotels, taking all the coffee makers and busting heads of anyone that looked like they might possibly drink it.
    Tell him he will be treated that way daily, motorcycle or not, and that he should look at moving to california. Utah is a horrible place, and St. George is an ugly desolate hellhole.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

He could've simplified, and just said I hate everyone.

9. sdg

sdg *

cops here are DICKS. F@CK this state.

10. ton

ton Arf!

funny. the retired cops i know that moved to St. George went there partially to be able to ride bikes. in SLC, i've never had so much as an interaction with them.

but yeah, what Brex said. this place sucks. ugly, full of weirdos, hate outsiders.

11. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Welcome to America. Now if he was driving a corvette decked out like a "pace car" with a 5-point harness they would have pulled him over to tell him how cool his car is and show off their Dale Earnhardt Lives tatoo.

wsmc42 likes this.
  12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Went to WSBK at MMSP back in the day.
    The governors office had to get involved to stop the Utah Highway Patrol from running several “Motorcycle only” check points on the roads into the track.
    It was a public relations nightmare for all concerned.
    Inbreeding ...

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I remember that. The guys at RRW publicized it extensively.

15. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Probably locked up at the moment.

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There was a member here who lived in Springdale or nearby. He used to run STT Midwest, and then retired and moved there.
    I can't remember his name, but wife's name is Bonnie.

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Monte.
    He does mt. bike guide trips now around Moab.

19. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

And he OWNED STT. Not just ran a division. Orange cone loving Elf kinda guy too.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

And with the Orange Cones, comes his name - Monte.

I just knew him as the guy who ran the Gingerman days, usually worked registration with Bonnie.

Haven't seen him post in quite a while.