1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017/2018 hunting thread

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Nov 12, 2017.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

You know someone is a real dove hunter when they know the bucket/hose/feathers trick.

socalrider likes this.
  2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

ive got the bottom of the bucket drilled with about (15) 3/8" holes so the water drains out leaving the feathers :D its definitely the way to go.

tdelegram and SteveThompson like this.
  3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Classy :bow:

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I decided that this year, I'm going to try chasing Ditch Chickens instead of ducks. At least if I get skunked, I didn't have to get up at 4am.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Bow hunters

I’m looking into maybe getting back into bow hunting a little bit this year and actually sold my PSE on the board.

I don’t really follow bow technology but had a bow tech patriot (single cam I think) which I loved, then had a PSE double cam’d Bow which was fast but seemed less forgiving.

Probably looking at sticking with PSE,Matthews, bowtech but is there anything to stay away from? Seems like there are so many choices now, i want a quality bow but don’t think in need to spend 1k anymore on a set up especially if I buy used.

Shots for 30 yards and in, white tails/hogs

Budget 500 or so plus a whisker biscuit and new string

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Let me know if you want to buy it back. I’m going to hunt it this season but I may be switching to a left-handed bow after that. I had a pretty bad facial injury in June and lost a lot of vision in my right eye. I was already left eye dominant so it’s an issue.

Im ok to about 25 meters, but don’t feel comfortable outside of that because I can’t “aim small”.

8. Steak Travis

Yeah let me know when you are done with this season. I’m not in a huge rush but my brother and I have been talking and he’s a bow hunter and has a place in Texas. I won’t get out there this year but will at some point.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I get to test a lot of bows every year. For your budget, look at the new PSE Drive 3B.

Newsshooter likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Any thoughts on the Matthew z3? Reminds me of the bowtech

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I'm not a fan of one cam bows. The nock travel is not good. One cam bows were popular when string materials were sub par and stretched. One cam bows weren't as sensitive to string stretch as two cams since the cams couldn't get out of sync. But things have changed...no reason to shoot a one cam any longer IMO. This goes for the last 6-7 years or so.

Steak Travis likes this.
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Interesting. I shot single cam back in the mid 90's(Jennings Uniforce) and loved it. Picked up a Liberty a handful of years ago and could never get it to shoot how I liked.

Kris87 likes this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curious, is a .223/.556 round commonly used to take down deer? Yes, an AR would be the platform. I’ve read that it’s common in Texas. I also understand that a 60 grain bullet would be necessary.

What’s your experience?

14. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

KNow quite a few people who have taken a deer with a .223. I use 62gn hollow point ones when I use one of my .223 ar's. Rarely take them out anymore since I have a .300blk and a .450bm ar's also. The .450 was built specifically for deer hunting.

I always get a kick out of people who say a .223 wont drop a deer. Yet I've seen people hit a deer with a .30-06 and the deer keeps on going. Seen a .223 drop a deer right in its tracks.

15. speedluvn

I’ve been reading that the bullet should at least be a 60 grain bullet.

Thanks for the confirmation.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Is this an AR you already have, or are building? If you are building it, you could buy a faster twist barrel and shoot a 77gr or larger bullet and have a gun that would be much better for deer hunting.

17. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I just built a 300 blackout to use for deer in short range scenarios where I'm under 150 yards or so. Nice small package and I can switch it to 5.56/.223 with just a barrel change.

18. speedluvn

Already built, used and proficient with the AR

19. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, but as far as I've heard the deer down in Texas are scrawny compared to up here. I built a 6.5 grendel AR partially because I thought the .223 was too small and partially because I thought it was cool to run a wildcat round since I roll my own... Now it's the hipster round and here I am saying I used it before it was cool :crackup:

Stumpy likes this.
  20. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I want to build one of those next.

badmoon692008 likes this.