1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling a little homesick today

Discussion in 'General' started by David-imoddavid, Oct 26, 2018.

1. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

The Blue Angles are practicing for the air show tomorrow and Sunday at NAS Jax. Windows rattle from
    the sound of those jet engines. Reminds me of being near Langley in the 60's and 70's. Sonic booms there on occasion too. Damn I love jet noise!

That's all.

AMac and iomfan like this.
  2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Angles? :Poke:

I hope you are acutely aware that I am not being obtuse.

David-imoddavid, brex and Funkm05 like this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Those 90 Degree Blue Angles are awesome. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  4. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

same same

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My dads good friend flew an F100 Super Sabre for the Air Guard back in the 60's. I thought he was the coolest guy ever. I was geeking out on his jet to him and he says that he has duty the next weekend and to listen for him. Sure enough if he didn't sonic boom our area that weekend.

David-imoddavid likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I learned from my Mom in the months before she passed that we are related to Major General Jones E. Bolt, one of the originators of the Thunderbirds. I never met him, but I thought that was kinda cool family trivia.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was doing a little Sabre research and came across this awesome picture of 60's firepower...

[​IMG]

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I went to school near Langley. We were under one of the final approaches. It was a small private school with about 15% of the kids having military officer parents. Two of their fathers were F15 pilots. During sports practice we would wave frantically from the fields at the planes. When it was one of their fathers he would always waggle wings for us. His daughter also brought in pictures he would take of Bear bombers they would intercept. One was cool as hell with the tail gunner flashing the peace sign at him. He said that they would just make the turn around signal with their hands then the Bear pilots would signal OK and head back.

9. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I grew up in the middle of a cornfield about 40 miles west of Springfield Il. There was an air national guard base in Springfield that they would practice maneuvers right over the farm a couple of times a week. Sonic booms were the norm and just an unbelievable sight for a youngster. The topper to the whole thing was the kart shop we used to buy parts from in Springfield was right across the road from the base. When they took off and hit the afterburners was just plain awesome.
    Don't really have a bucket list but have always wondered how long I could go in one without passing out.

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

That F-104 is way too close to that Valkyrie

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Pffft, what could possibly happen?

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

:(

[​IMG]

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Rossi blue leg d-angle

[​IMG]

14. David-imoddavid

Ok - my bad. Now I feel homesick and dumb

15. David-imoddavid

There was a spot on Armstead Ave that was very close to the approach of a runway. Used to park on the side of the road and watch them land - and watch the strobe lights