1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Dubai, looking for some pointers

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 21, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

If I was going, definitely be in my list to check the car dealers. I've heard it's next level.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Be careful if you’re bringing pills or prescriptions on your flight and into the country. Google it.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I know....I don't take any prescription meds and I'm leaving all my supplements at home. Maybe just bring a handful of single serving protein powder sample packets in my checked bag (I know they don't like any kind of "powders" in your carry-on) for after the gym.

Might actually be a good opportunity to give my body a nice reset from all the supplements I take on a daily basis anyway.

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

^

We're gonna read about you....

Steeltoe and Phl218 like this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

bigdeal.jpg

6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

It wouldn't hurt to take a Ripsaw out for a ride in the desert:

[​IMG]

If they're all booked, you'll have to settle for this:

[​IMG]

Enjoy the trip.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. zrx12man likes this.
  8. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I'd imagine that's probably because you're a seasoned traveler and don't act like an ass in other countries. I always wonder what the complete story is behind some of these supposedly draconian busts, "4 years in a foreign jail because of some Ibuprofen" and such. I've traveled with people who were such incredibly rude, obnoxious drunken jagoffs that I can imagine the local LE looking for an excuse like poppy seeds to put them away for a while. "Here's a phone, dipshit. I suggest you call your embassy."
    I've never had an issue in a foreign country either, in 25 years of international travel.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. I agree completely. I can't see them making a huge deal out of something just randomly, out of the blue. A more likely scenario is the people acted like dipshits, or were being drunk and stupid, and basically acting like assholes which gave the authorities reason to look for anything and everything.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

11. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

"Bibi was asking me why we were in a police car and I had no answer,” she told The Sun. “My daughter is a happy, smiley girl, but now she was terrified.” "

It's cuz your mother is an idiot who let her passport expire honey, that's why.

0.04 blood alcohol level from one glass of wine who knows how many hours ago? Sure....

TLR67 likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

13. It is. Because it is hot as balls, all the cars are inside. There is a long service road with all the dealerships side by side. Chevy, Ford, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Ferrari, Land Rover, BMW, so on and so forth.

You walk in the door and the receptionist lady will just say "welcome to Porsche", that is it. You are free to walk around and do what you want. All the cars are sitting there unlocked, and in many cases with the keys in them. You can sit in everything and play with the seats, check the ergos, lift the hood and/or trunk, whatever you want to do.

It isnt like the US where they are all over you like a swarm of bees as soon as you enter the lot. That is why i HATE car shopping in the US. They wont just leave you the fuck alone. Even if you say "i am just looking around to waste time", they will be like "I can give you a good deal on this one, let me get the keys..." and they just keep on you. In Dubai, nobody will come up to you or even try to speak to you unless you go to the counter and ask for help. They let you roam around and do what you want.

When I was trying to decide between various Crossovers from Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes, we specifically went to Dubai to shop so I could bounce between the dealerships playing with them, without someone sweating my nuts.

joec likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That article is also dated 2008. I'm curious if their travel restrictions have lax'd a bit in the past decade as travel and tourism to Dubai has taken off?

15. Its possible.

I know there are usually miles between regulations and reality.

In the "real world", they are looking for weapons and things of that nature, or they are looking for people trying to enter the country illegally. If you look at any of those cases mentioned (in damn near every instance of someone getting in trouble with Customs), youll see they were originally detained because of trying to enter illegally, or because they were drunk and being disorderly, so on and so forth.

Ive been traveling all over the world forever, in more countries than I can count, including very strict places like Dubai, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, etc. Not once have I ever had someone actually open up my bag and look in my travel kit or any shit like that, and ive traveled with all kinds of medicines/supplements over the years.

In other words, don't be a jackass and you'll be fine.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh yeah?

Generally whenever I travel I take one of these in my checked bag and its loaded up with all sorts of pills and capsules (various supplements, vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc)

[​IMG]

Obviously nothing that is prescription, but nothing in its original packaging either. When I went to Colombia they didn't care, but I was assuming Dubai might be a different story.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because he's been lucky doesn't mean you will be too. I'd at least have the prescription stuff in proper bottles with the proper name on them. Supplements and crap like that you can live without or buy locally.

zrx12man likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So how have YOU managed?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't do security checks online. He's good to go in person.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This is the guy that bought 97 cases of water we're talking about. :D

Gorilla George likes this.