1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Dubai, looking for some pointers

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Oct 21, 2018.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Have some business meetings there mid-January, company is handling everything else once I'm there so just trying to figure out travel logistics....couple of points to consider

-Will be flying from either EWR or JFK, haven't figured out yet.
    -My airline of choice is United (and their partners) and as such that's my mileage program.
    -United only has connecting flights from either EWR or JFK
    -The only airline that flies direct to DXB from these 2 area airports is Emirates. They use the 777-300ER from Newark and the A380 from JFK
    -I've never flown the A380 before and there's a small part of me that kind of wants to experience the big dog just once (unless its a rotten experience in economy and I'm better off not bothering.
    - I fly a decent amount but almost entirely domestic, the longest flight I've ever done was years ago from NY to Moscow which I think was about 8 hours.

Not sure if its actually better to stick with United and split the trip up into 2 legs so I'm not stuck in a seat for 12+ hours (plus get the usable miles), or fly direct on an Emirates which I probably won't fly on again for a long time and have useless miles, and I'm guessing the novelty of being on an A380 might wear off in as many hours crammed into economy?

Thoughts from those with experience?

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Fly Emirates, hands down in my experience. Their economy is like everyone else’s premium plus. We did the JFK-DBX last year on the A380 and it was superb. Emirates has some of the best service and accommodations around I think.

If you want to visit the Berj Khalif building, you need a reservation to go up it. Go visit the Mall and do some watch shopping..... lol

3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

At least in january it'll just be "hot", instead of "fuck my face off hot" or "this place shouldn't exist hot" or "my dick just melted off hot."

Enjoy :D

Lawn Dart likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

If you have to use the restroom in the Dubai airport, just remember that they do have “western style” toilets especially after consuming your two meals on the Emirates flight.
    So if you see a hole in the floor, continue until you encounter a “throne”.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  5. Better to fly direct on Emirates than UA through FRA. FRA-DXB is the smelliest flight on the planet.

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was looking more likely at the SwissAir connection through Zurich.

7. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

When you land in DXB, stock up on liquor and beer at duty free before you leave the airport, unless your company can get you into the cool clubs with alcohol.

8. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

The Emirates business class lounge in Dubai is an incredible oasis of luxury and tranquility after a long day of travel. Except during Ramadan, when there's no alcohol. Flying Emirates internationally in any travel class is a revelation after USA-based airlines.

9. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Emirates is the best hands down. You can possible get upgraded to business class for a fraction of the cost if you go up to the gate agent and ask if there is room. I got a seat from JFK to Dubai for 999.00. That same seat is $10k. Reservations is a must in Dubai. Check out breakfast at the Palace downtown. Go to the Burj Arab for lunch, which requires you dress up and have a reservations.

10. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Don’t go. :)

Only semi-joking...I spent 2 days there and that was enough for me and I love traveling. That area of the world didn’t do it for me though. Too many abrasive people and nothing worth seeing/doing besides the Burj and seeing a lot of people with too much money on their hands.

dieterly, Lawn Dart and G2G like this.
  12. gpstar748

Any Western hotel has bars/clubs that anyone can get into with alcohol.

zrx12man likes this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've heard about that lounge :)

Interesting, I'll look into that if I go that route. I drooled when I saw the videos of their "apartments" or whatever they were called upstairs on the A380, with the shower and private bedroom and shit....actually I think those might be the Etihad ones?

Thanks Rob!

Its not a personal site-seeing trip, as I mentioned, its a business trip and most everything is already being arranged; meetings, meals, extracurriculars etc. Pretty much just trying to figure out the best way to get there and back.

14. gpstar748

Fly United and get the miles. Flying sucks unless you're in first class no matter what. Emirates economy is definitely better than United but if you always fly United elsewhere then definitely do that IMO.

I fly United everywhere in the world that I can because it pays off in miles and upgrades for me.

15. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I've travelled to Dubai and Qatar quite a bit in the last 5 years. Don't be too freaked out by the alcohol thing, just to a little research before you go on do's and dont's and just generally behave respectfully and you'll be fine. Stumbling out of a hotel bar onto the street at 2am shitfaced and trying to start a fight might be fine in New Orleans, but it will land you in deep shit there. Also be aware of when Ramadan is, they take it very seriously there.
    Oh, and drinking is SUPER expensive there, like pretty much everything else. You might want to read up carefully before trying to bring duty-free alcohol into the country as well.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

lol

...don't worry, I plan on doing zero drinking at all whilst I'm there, so this is not a concern.

FYI, Ramadan won't be in mid-January until 2029 ;)

zrx12man likes this.
  17. Fly Emerates, I’m diamond with Delta so I like my miles but if I’m in the UK or EU and need to get to Japan I’ll fly Emerates. Their business class is awesome, I’ve flown once in the upper of a 380, it ruins you for every flight you take after that.

Phl218 and zrx12man like this.
  18. Dude Emirates is awesome. Ive spent countless hours on those bigass A380's, and Emirates is top notch.

The wife and I like the Business Class on the A380 because you can get middle seats that are right beside each other, it is almost like laying in the bed together.

I love Dubai, that's where I like to go car shopping because all of the dealerships are in a row, they are all inside so it isn't hot, the salesmen don't bother you, and all the cars are unlocked. You can just walk in, go upstairs, and sit in any Porsche or BMW or Jaguar you want and play with it without anyone saying a word to you.

joec likes this.
  19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Thanks for all the input. I think I've settled on the A380 flight out of JFK for when I go. A handful of my co-workers will likely jump on the same flight. I noticed that you can transfer AMEX rewards points (which I have a decent surplus of) 1 to 1 to Emirates mileage rewards, so I might do that and see if I can jump upstairs to business class if its not too crazy for the upgrade once I'm booked.

BigBird likes this.
  20. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood