1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS Lap Timers

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’m ready to ditch my old beacon-based lap timer that doesn’t reliably work and get a gps-based unit. I don’t need telemetry or splits or anything fancy. I just want to pick the track and go. Any recommendations on something good that’s as basic as possible?

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

AIM Solo. Rock solid and no external antenna to break. They have been replaced with the Solo 2 which is a bit fancier with splits etc.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  3. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I have several AIM products, including the Solo2. Their USA customer support (tech and warranty) is exceptional. The Solo is dirt simple, but also a powerful logger.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5. MotoGP69

I see a pattern here. Thanks guys. :beer:

6. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

I got an AIM Solo 2 for Christmas last year and used it all season. I like it. I'm also interested if anybody with these devices would like to share/exchange lap data. I would find it educational to see which corners other people do faster on the tracks I go to, so I know where to work on improving my laps.

7. MotoGP69

So how do you power the $399 version? It says it comes with a/c and cigarette plugs, but nothing for bikes.

8. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Internal battery lasts for an hour or so, wire in an accessory outlet to use car adapter, or buy separate wiring kit. Or, hack and splice the car adapter to bike battery.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

My AIM Solo can make it thru a 4 hour endurance on a full charge. I would think a solo 2 would be the same unless they made a change.

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I will be listing my GPX Pro 4 for sale tomorrow or the next day, with the break out box as well. And will definitely be cheaper than a new AIM lap timer.

11. :stupid:

I like AIM because of the bigass numbers, and they are easy to use.

Sonofabitch. I just realized my AIM lap timer was still mounted on the R6. :mad: I guess dude got a free lap timer.

12. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

Really? My 2 is only good for about an hour of use. I reached out to AIM and they said that’s about normal.

I’m plannin on hacking up the cigarette adapter Into the wiring harness.

That said it’s much easier to use than my Starlane Athon was and I like it

13. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Ours makes it about 3:45 mins, like clockwork, haha.

14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I really like my speedangle. It may be more than your looking for but the battery last for a few track day weekends. It last so long I’m surprised when it needs a charge. The info downloaded into your computer is really informative. If I feel I’m off in a corner I can see where I’m fucking up.

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Good reason to buy the AIM DL so you can get the badass datalogging capability

Unless you already had the DL...which in case I rubbed salt in the wound. My bad :eek:

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Just plug it in for a few minutes at each pit stop.... we'll wait for you

I plan on getting a Solo2, just wish there was something in between the $60 Ebay POS and the $400 Solo. I just want lap times, don't care to study a bunch of data afterwards.

busa99 likes this.
  17. I really cant remember to be honest. I didn't pay attention when I got it.

I will need to see if I got the one off the Panigale before I sell it. I had separate ones for each bike (even Grim :D) because I didn't want to mess with moving them around. I just totally forgot about the one on the R6.

18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

:crackup: Good thought! We'll try that at Barber!

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mentioned several times but I've been using a Starlane Stealth GPX-3x (there's newer models of it since) for about 6 years now an I'm quite pleased. Its a fairly compact unit so it doesn't clutter up the dash area too much. Has all the splits and data logging and telemetry (with an expansion pack) if you so desire down the road, or not. Has a finish line detection setting where you enable it and it will learn where the finish line is on a new track if its somewhere you haven't been to or pre-loaded the track info into it ahead of time.

[​IMG]

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

AIM and done. Easiest, best features and most reliable.