1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in Michigan

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Sep 26, 2018.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My comment about it being flat referred to the southern 2/3 of lower Michigan. The upper 1/3 of the lower peninsula and the entire Upper Peninsula are not flat at all.The OP was discussing living near the Ohio border.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, the part the OP is looking at is definitely flat.

3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

And it snowed in TC yesterday...
    All is right in the world.

4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

So says the guy in Florida who doesn't have to cringe watching it ... big flakes mixed with PopCorn snow .. 14 days left up here till Sunshine State for me :D

t11ravis likes this.
  5. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Highly accurate.

Riders Discount likes this.
  6. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Well I accepted the offer this week, so the family and I are Michigan bound. We still have to sell our house in NJ, so we probably won’t be living out there until February or March. Next question, how is the real estate market? Any indication of a downward or upward trend? We will be out there for 4 or 5 years, so we are trying to decide if we are going to rent or buy. We’ve narrowed it down to the suburban Detroit area (Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Bloomfield etc.), though the Ann Arbor area isn’t completely off the list yet.

BigBird and t11ravis like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Congrats.....if the housing market keeps going the way it has, even owning a home for 4-5 years is still a good option. You can make some money when you sell it.

BigBird likes this.
  8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

It's been red hot with low inventory and increasing rates.. people are snapping things up. Although winter has slowed it a bit.

Anything can happen if 5 years though could double your money or lose half of it. Higher prices areas such as Bloomfield are a bit more insulated from market swings.

Big T likes this.
  9. rowe748

Thanks. Tough to predict the future, but inventory definitely seems low out there. How are the Grosse Pointe’s?

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yacht club, mansion, mansion, mansion, convenience store, mansion, mansion, convenience store, Eastland Mall, Detroit ghetto.

ineedanap and ChemGuy like this.
  11. peakpowersports

Some people love them. The shine has worn off a lot in recent years and borders the hood. And by that I mean one side of the road is a beautiful house, other side a burned out one. Lots of wealth has left in recent years and freed up homes and pricing for some lower class to move in. Unless your balling and on the lake (multi million dollar homes) then it's not for me. Plus taxes are pretty damn high. As a whole they are safe and loaded with old boujue white folk

12. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

can live anywhere and you are going to live in the south, just about everything sucks down there if you ask me. I would not live anywhere south of Midland personally.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Out of those northville first followed by Plymouth then Bloomfield then canton!

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow, has Bloomfield gone downhill or something? That's all I remember our down state family/friends talking about when I was a kid.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Looking at he map on page 1. I applied for a job in The West Bank. Good, bad? I own a truck and would like to keep from getting it stolen.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Northville has a great downtown small feel to it. Bloomfield is too big 2 many 4 lane roads and 2 many peeps.

Lived in Plymouth 4 15 years, northville for 10 and worked in Bloomfield hills for 6.

17. rowe748

I'd like to keep it semi-rural, so northville seems pretty good. I'm hoping to get out there this month for a visit.

I can live anywhere, but I have to cover Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cleveland and Cincinnati. I'll be visiting the Detroit and Cleveland area most frequently hence staying semi near Detroit. If I never had to leave Michigan then I'd be on the west side for sure. Where we live in NJ is pretty rural and that's what I prefer.

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

West of northville is very nice then there's South Lyon a millennials favorite. My kids live in Milford and I really like their downtown

19. peakpowersports

Want a bit rural then get over to Washington Tkwnship, Bruce Towship, Oakland Township. All are close to expressway, good shops, good restaurants and still not far from the city. Best of all worlds IMO. Some beautiful big dollar homes out there. Its where people are heading die to overcrowding amd declining demographics elsewhere

20. rowe748

Milford is one that keeps popping up and seems to fit the bill. I'll check out those counties as well. How are the more southern areas, like Milan and Tecumseh. Prices seem cheap as you approach Lansing, but most things I read say stay away.