1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Share with the group, asshole. :D

I'm a newbie too, need all the help I can get.

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Just little things like, he never stopped moving when we got to a little cove trolling motor went in and we coverd that body of water with out stopping. Pointed out things at our lake that the bass like. Isolated pads and logs. What to look for on the water with what the wind is doing and how the fish move depending on the time wind and bait fish are doing. A lot of me was not letting the fish take the bait, and he likes to use braid when top water fishing to minimize stretch when setting the hook.. It was just a nice 5 hr session of non stop information, I really hope I get to do it again before the season is over.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Got out this am for a few hours. GREAT morning on the water, and the smallies had their fall feed bags on. This thing was just a solid football. Only 19”, but a solid 5 pounds. 40DA1184-2F91-4AA4-9DC4-6410C6755BD2.jpeg

4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Braided line is where its at for the maximum hookset and winching ability. If the water is really clear a 18" +/- piece of fluorocarbon for a liter works great with braid too.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  5. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Since this seems to be the catchall fishing thread, I'm looking for a new spinning rod. The Ugly Stik Elite I bought in the spring isn't really satisfying me for performance, and the coating on the guides is wearing off (not using braid, just 4 and 6 lb mono). I'd like something that's light power, fast action, 6.5' long, and two piece construction. I'd like to max out at $100, but might be talked into a bit more if there's a big jump in performance.

On a different topic, some of the ultralight guys like using braids and various super lines in say 8, 10 lb test, and if needed tying on a fluoro leader. I've resisted and stuck with good old Trilene XL, but super lines have a lot of qualities that make me wanna give it a go. Suggestions?

6. assjuice cyrus

BAMMM!!!

Finally a REAL fish. Close to 3.5lbs or maybe a tad over. But man it was a nice fish. Now i NEED MORE!!!!:crackup:

Attached Files:

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Bout time, rook!! Nice fish.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

Man your telling me.. But gotta earn my stripes I guess.

9. Scotty87

I know it's not much, but killed the gills and crappies today. Was cold as shit, but limited out (25) in a few hours. Filleted them up and gonna have a little halftime fish fry during MNF.

Funk - what bibs are those? Do you like them? I'm thinking I'm gonna keep fishing until there's ice so I'll need some gear.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Cabela’s Guidewear rain bibs. LOVE that suit. Best $600 I’ve ever spent on fishing gear.

11. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Ordered a St Croix Premier PS66LF2. 6'6", light power, fast action, two piece, USA made. Blew my budget by almost $40. Can't wait to fish with it.
    Lost a couple of nice smallies last time I went out. Both threw the hook on jumps. Both bit ned rigs on back to back casts. Both went crazy when they were hooked, especially the second one. It was hard to get a hit from a smallmouth because the damn redeyes were attacking on almost every cast.

12. assjuice cyrus

Yea, I need to start looking at some cold weather gear. What do I need to pay attention to? Im not going to be ice fishing, but its going to be 30's and 40's when I go in the mornings and should probley look at some decent gear.

13. Scotty87

That was my deal today. 38 degrees and 20 mph winds when we launched. I had on jeans, a hoody and a flannel. Not smart. Pretty rough for the first couple hours.

I’m not looking to ice fish either, just need good 3 season bibs and jacket. 6 Hundy is a little out of my budget. Anyone know anything about Blackfish brand stuff? Pretty reasonably priced.

14. A map, as in move :). I’m in shorts and a t shirt right now and about to meet up with a buddy on his 2011 Bullet with a 250 (well that’s what he tells everybody) merc xs our back. It’s a damn missle. I’ve been catching huge crappie like it’s going out of style. Catching only big ones because they are biting on bass stuff. Been using a drop shot with a ned rig -ish (my own hook that I bent to my liking, senko and other plastics I modified here and there for a bit More movement and back to back it actually works). Last week all in the same area within an hour (middle of the night) I caught a large mouth, spot, hybrid and a striper. Never had that before. For some reason they are biting on quiet stuff, leaving anything with a rattle alone. At least the water has cooled down a bit so they are a bit more active. I’ve had no time to go during the day, even gave up a co angler spot over the weekend in an flw tournament. All this work and family stuff really puts a damper on my fishing.

15. Scotty87

Pretty sure we missed a few nice crappies today because of the smaller hooked gill presentations. But we did land a couple.

Nice thing about today was we literally threw one fish back that wasn’t a keeper. One. And we limited out.

16. I have braid on every rod I own, some just have longer flouro leaders attachted or none at all for pitching, etc. I run 30 on most and 10 on light stuff with nothing less than 6 flouro (and that’s only on one drop shot rod that’s a ducket with a Shimano reel.
    Recently switched almost all my go to rods to ducket moicro guides and ardent reels (that I modified - ceramic bearings, shimmed perfectly, all polished and micro finished gear, etc). Not overly impressed with the reels but they are good, just not great. They are great for med stuff but anything light or heavy they don’t cast as well as some of my others on the same rod. Got them for free so can’t complain. Well not free but I did a favor for a guy who’s sponsored by them and I wouldn’t take any $ for it so he left 6 brand new ones at my door step. I’m really impressed with the ducket rods. Think they are only about 170 retail. The micro guide is great for top water and plastics as o never realized how much additional slack guides make.

17. I never catch my limit, ever, I throw them all back (eventually in the case of a tournament).

18. Scotty87

I throw everything back I’m not going to eat. Never kept a bass or a pike. I don’t trophy fish. Not that I’m near good enough to do that anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

I don’t stockpile either. We ate the fish I caught today, for dinner tonight.

19. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

One my old man caught last weekend. He’s big into striper fishing. Has a place at Smith mountain lake in Virginia. This was on a trip with his buddies to someplace in Tennessee.

He’s really addicted but doesn’t fish in summer. Basically only live baitfishes at this point.

Attached Files:

20. Nothing wrong with that, I just don’t eat fish :). Fish every spare chance I get but don’t eat fish- sums up my life right there. I fished from 12:15 to 530am. Lost about 1:15 due to a couple quick conf calls. 8 crappie (4 were very large), 4 large mouth (nothing over 2, ie nothing worth weighing) 6 hybrids, all a tad bigger than the large but they fight pretty good. Not a bad night on the water. Started with a drop shot them changed as I was catching too many crappie. Caught a couple on a fluke, 1/8pz center weighed, 4 on a spookjr with custom black electrical tape :) then Carolina with big ole monster and black 2 blue chstterbait with black / blue rage tail. I ended up trying a ducket med fast 6 6 rod with 5:1 baitcater for drop shots? I think I’m going to use that all the tine. None of my drop shot fish cane on the vertical drop last night so moved Weigjy down to about 18” and just hopped the weight along the bottom.