1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Got out Sat am for a bit, but almost no bite. Got a pike and a small smallmouth, but that was it. Looking to go out on Green Bay this coming weekend and see if we can get on some big smallies.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    assjuice cyrus likes this.
  2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

It’s been decent.

The bite will pick up as the water temp drops. It won’t be long and it won’t matter what you throw. They’ll be chasing bait fish trying to fatten up for the winter. Get yourself a Zara Spook and a jerk bait like a Rapala X-Rap. In a few weeks just have those on deck ready to throw.

Funkm05 likes this.
  3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Pretty sure that was my issue on Sat. They’re in transition. Water temp was 66-67. Not quite cold enough for feedbag time yet (62 is that sweet spot here), but not warm enough to have a holding pattern.

4. BHP41

It’s was 83 water temp the other day but they are starting to move. I just hit road beds but still deep. I’m throwing deep cranks like 6XD and 10XD and bouncing them up humps and ledges. I got a few on lipless cranks that I was burning. Swimbaits are working too but they’re all small on the ones I’m throwing.

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Been out on Michigan trolling for Salmon since 0500. Not a goddamn bite. Shits getting irritating.

6. Scotty87

Just realized I never updated. We ended up getting one small one, but the Salmon bite is definitely heating up around here. Gonna try and get out again his weekend. My buddy saw 5 fish caught in 45 minutes from the beach this morning.

I’m not interested in downriggers and planer boards and all that shit, but I did order a couple rod holders for trolling today. Figured I could target some pike and walleye on inland lakes. Bass fishing is still my favorite but it will be fun to switch it up.

Lure advice I have been getting is Little Cleo’s, flicker shads, J13 Rapalas. Anything else? Find the depths they’re at and target that? .8-2.5mph?

7. I haven’t been fishing in a week, last time I went fishing was best fishing since the crazy spawn season we had. I think I may need to sneak out tonight. I can tell how stress takes over my body when I don’t go fishing. Sounds silly but it’s my decompression time.

BHP41 and Phl218 like this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound silly at all. That why I bought the bigger boat so soon, was I found my self really able to relax on the water. So even if my boy gets board and doesn't go anymore I can still go out and use to un wind

9. I’m actually going to head out in about an hour. Leaving for UK Monday and busy busy weekend.

10. Killed it last night.

11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

These Peacock bass are a blast to catch in South Florida, a 4lb peacock will fight harder than a 10lb largemouth bass. This is a 7lber

Attached Files:

12. assjuice cyrus

FINALLY, I am going out with some one in the moring that knows what the hell there doing. He was out today and caught a 5 lb large mouth. Does well in local tournaments,and over all says he can help me. I'm so excited I dont know if I'll sleep tonight. Fingers crossed.

BHP41 likes this.
  13. Scotty87

Damn dude. Quality fish.

R1M370 likes this.
  14. BHP41

Yo @Canadian Bacon , school me on the HDS LIVE. Have you used one yet?

15. Haven’t used it but know one person it that says it’s quick and allows you to focus on one screen. He has 4 total but I could see it being a money saver if you just had 2 units on the boat or even one and an iPad for the other screen (that’s what I’d be doing from a cost standpoint as I have a couple I don’t use).

16. More I look at this the more it makes sense. You can get a lowarnce 7 with total scan transducer for about 550 in their ckoseoit section. Find another used on. Buy a used or cheap iPad or two and you can a boat outfitted nicely for under about $1200. That’s not bad at all. I’m a Lowrance Guy but been using and switching to Garmin because I get 40 + % off and my buddy is sponsored by then so replacwment and add on bits are “cheap” ie free. If I was in the market I’d do what I mentioned above. And if you have the money the trolling motor control via phone / iPad is really nice.

17. BHP41

Looks like the LiveView transducer won’t be available until next year but that’s okay.

I’m a few months away from ordering a new boat for next year. Leaning toward a Phoenix 21 or a 521L Ranger. I need to talk to a Lowrance rep and find out about the 3D module. Ideally I want to put a 16 at the console and two 12’s up front.

The iPad thing I like. The two issues I see with it are , 1) The screen sucks in the sunlight 2) being out in the direct sun while running heavy processing loads will cause the iPad to overheat.

I really liked the FishReveal update, I run it on a 80/20 with the map most of the time on the front. Trying to find out more about Active Imagining.

I’m excited though. I really like my Carbons and this seem to be a very nice upgrade without having to learn a whole new system.

18. Never thought about the heat thing but i also fish at night 80% of the time. Anti glare screens work good actually.

19. BHP41

How did it go?

Funkm05 likes this.
  20. assjuice cyrus

Very informative. Lots of little details I didn't know or wasn't doing. Equipment not set up correctly to increase my odds. I didn't get any on the boat. But that was to my own rookie mistakes. Excited,to make some changes and head back out.

BHP41 likes this.