1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IndyCar

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think IndyCar needs it's own thread.
    They announced the 2019 schedule today, looks awesome. Laguna Seca and COTA is on the list!

SmokeSignalRT and 03RumbleBee like this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If the MotoGP boys thought Cota was bumpy before, wait til they see what the Indy cars do to that track surface :crackup:

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No worse than what the F1 cars do to it

noles19 likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hella Wreck in Portland this weekend....

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Or world endurance

6. fastedyamaha

Dixon is the luckiest em effer ever...totally blind in that wreck and somehow he manages to make it out completely unscathed!

7. fastedyamaha

Yes but it’s the total accumulation of laps, and now they’ve added another race weekend to tear things up!

rcarson15 likes this.
  8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

They are going to run a different track config than F1 at COTA from what I heard this morning. I am sure they don't want to have an apples to apples comparison on lap times. I think the one other time they were at the same track in the same season was in Canada.

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

His driving style and approach to championships is so unremarkable yet here he is with 4 championships in an almost 20 year CART/Indy career. He has converted me as a fan over the years as I became aware of just how amazing of a driver he is.

Razr likes this.
  10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ the way I read it was that it may be a new configuration that is not currently part of the course setup - adding a different cut off or similar.

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

IndyCar has had the best on track product of any 4 wheel series for almost 5 years now. They have sorted out the push to pass in a way that encourages racing (passing and defending) and they have a field full of potential winners any given weekend. I haven't been to a race in a few years now, but they have also had the best pit pass for the money too.

12. rwdfun

rwdfun

I think the only way to run a different layout would be to cut the lap in half. Isn't that the only alternate layout COTA has?

Also, for these big FIA tracks it seems like there is a fairly easy solution to having cars tear the track up. They need to start designing them so the hard braking zone are on the alternate layout from bikes. If the hard braking and acceleration in and out of corners causes the problem they can extend some of those corners for the cars. F1 has it's best passing from straights into slow corners and I think MotoGP loves the long sweepers (except Ducati). Additional benefit is for safety. MotoGP likes more runoff so use some of that for the F1 layout. I only slept at a Holiday Inn last night but seems like designing a track to avoid the bump issues isn't that difficult. The overall layout I'll leave to Tilke but I'm not sure he's the golden child he once was in that dept.

13. Robby Card

Robby Card Well-Known Member

Totally agree, far more entertaining than F1 these days.

14. fastedyamaha

Anyone hear what kind of lap times Alonso ran yesterday at Barber during his test? Pretty cool that he wants to leave F1 and come run IndyCar full time. It will be interesting to see how he does in a full season.

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

16. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I have a feeling he will have as big of an impact and be a contender like Mansell was. He will adapt quickly and be a contender in probably most every config with the exception of short travel ovals, but he will have that down too after a few of those races. Seeing his smile sitting in the car is something you havent seen from him in a while. Well, since the 24 Hours and last years Indy 500.

Razr likes this.
  17. fastedyamaha

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I believe that is because they said no reporters etc were allowed at this test. Sounds like they were keeping it all on the down low.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There's a new track inside IMS, a quarter mile dirt oval. They built it in the third turn infield. It's for a tribute to Brian Clauson, killed last year. USAC Midgets were there last night and tonight. It's called the BC39.

backcountryme likes this.
  20. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

I was at the Sonoma test today. Between tests and garage passes at races, it's amazing the access you get to drivers and crews in IndyCar.

Razr likes this.