1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handshift Shootout

Discussion in 'General' started by AJ, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Two 2-lap heats? Will they last that long?

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

145FECA2-A6CF-4DA7-8DB9-B4CFAEBA80C3.jpeg Pretty stoked! I got a call to ride one!

It’s in dirt track trim so we are converting it.

These things are pretty much priceless!

aaronson, AJ, Steeltoe and 8 others like this.
  4. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Adding brakes I hope?

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Having to drift to slow down might explain only two laps.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Of course. Hence “converting it from dirt track trim”

Steeltoe and neckbrace like this.
  7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Is that an air filter above and to the left of the number plate?

TSWebster likes this.
  8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Crankcase breather, I'll bet.

600 dbl are and Chris like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doc Batsleers will.

One of the coolest things ever was him in the rain at Mid-O on one of his hand shifts :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Ask @Venom51 , I'm mechanically stupid. I thought crank cases were cooled by earl? Do cranks normally need a breather tube?

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well if Dirt Diggler is racing I'm all for it!

12. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Having chased these guys around the track for several years, I can tell you they're nuts.

They don't back the rear in; they bounce it in. Turn, rear tire bounces up, lands at a new angle, gas, bounce, gas.

Fun to watch.

AJ likes this.
  13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Not so much for cooling, but for air displacement. When the pistons go up and down they change the volume of air within the crankcases. In that air is oil vapor from lubricating the rod and crank. It needs to go somewhere. Old school just dumped it out a short tube on the cases, and it dribbled wherever it pleased. In today's world they need to control it. When it's run in a long tube like that, it's an attempt to capture back some of that oil vapor, and drain it back to the crank case. The little K&N style filter is usually to first, filter the air being sucked back into the cases, and as a final trap for oil vapor.

Or, that's what I think. Robby Bobby can correct me :)

600 dbl are likes this.
  14. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Ever wondered why when you change the oil it just comes out of the drain plug without having to open anything else like you do when draining coolant?

Crankcase breather!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. I listened to 80 year old Al Knapp scold his practice group in a riders meeting at Grattan one year for not "holding their line". He raced a handshifter. His Red Wing soles were worn at a 45 from dragging them in the corners. #earlydangle #blueflag

stk0308 likes this.
  16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Cylinder blowby. Gas escapes between the ring gap and if you have no way to get rid of the pressure build up, will pressurize the crankcase till a seal let's go. Normally the breather is vented back into the intake. But since oil vapor lowers octane race cars and bikes just vent it to atmosphere. Really crazy guys looking for last hp will actually pull vacuum via a pump as it promotes better cylinder speeds.

600 dbl are and stk0308 like this.
  17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

That's not superstock legal :p

18. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

I didn't even think about the rain, that is nuts!

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

We've been running a tankshift race for years during Loudon Bike Week. Doc Batsleer with his wife and daughter used to all ride. Ralph Wessel used to come up from Florida, too.
    Doc usually brings a few extra bikes to loan to others.

[​IMG]

AJ, stk0308 and Steeltoe like this.
  20. joec

joec brace yourself

there were 5 or 6 at the Jersey ahrma round. Been on the track and doing practice with these guys and man is it fun to be out there with them. There are a bunch of guys who race rudges from Maryland. I have only seen them at mosport.

And yes, they stay together just fine!