1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High speed braking

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Aug 29, 2018.

?

Braking from high speed

1. Get in place early

2. Stay in the middle of the seat

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

OK, the man says, when braking from high speed, stay in the middle of the seat and pinch the gas tank with your knees, THEN slide into position for the upcoming corner while trail braking.
    Thoughts?

Auto-generated English subs. You'll laugh but still get the point.

2. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Dunno about the rest of y'all, I get into position and squeeze from there at an angle kinda

beac83, drop and 5axis like this.
  3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

come on,come on guys!
    Salvadori's reasoning is that the high speed braking loads will tire your hands fairly quickly,so you need to support your weight with your knees on these braking zones. How do you do it?
    In most cases,if I feel my hands tired and in need of extra support while braking,I can put my inside knee against the gas tank (pad covered area) while being in place (half-ish ass out,outside thigh against the gas tank)

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I get in place before braking.

Newsshooter likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I didn't get the english subtitles but, yeah, squeeze the tank, support yourself with your core - the handlebars are not for doing push-ups. You don't have to be sitting on the centerline to get the squeeze.
    I get my body positioned before any braking/downshifting. All that's left is to throw the bike into the turn. Floppin' around on the bike while braking, downshifting and setting my body position is asking for instability right before I'll want it most. I'd rather approach the turn-in transition from a point of stability.

6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I don't see them pinching....

[​IMG]

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In place well before the turn.... Only 2 tracks I am ever in the Middle of the seat at are at Road Atlanta and Road America...

8. fastfreddie

Don't see them sitting on the centerline, either.

tecknojoe likes this.
  9. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Subtitles aren't very helpful.
    sinister marbles.jpg

Chris, MachineR1 and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

...it depends...

tophyr likes this.
  11. rwdfun

rwdfun

Nope not squeezing with their knees but, look closer. Those guys have such big balls they squeeze with those.

tecknojoe likes this.
  12. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Funny, he doesn't look Jewish

MachineR1 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

@rcarson15 @fastfreddie have a point. Some motogp riders put their inside knee against the tank while in place for Cornering in some cases. As @MELK-MAN said, it depends.
    The thing is, these riders are as fit as it gets so they can get away with not "pinching" (or even putting their inside knee against ) the tank throughout the race, at some tracks.
    But never have I seen anyone sitting in the middle of the seat while braking and getting in place while Trai braking, until now.

14. fastfreddie

StompGrip or whatever other grippy tank pad you may have can allow for a great amount of grip with just one knee. Normally, it's only applied to the knee pocket on tanks but I've seen it wrapped around the rear of the tank, too. Either way, it's a great way to reduce the physical exertion required to lock yourself in place.

5axis and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Exactly. It helps with the outside thigh against the tank.

yamaha-M1-Final-14.jpg

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

same here

one pro rider doing something "out of the box" isnt new and its not a good reason for us to change our styles either.

17. Ra.Ge. Raptor

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Love that view with a static swingarm and bouncing chassis.

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Hi five Jesus first, then brake

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

It's Luca, again.
    In the middle of the corner, percentage of his weight supported:
    • 70% on his outside knee/thigh against the tank!
    • 30% on his inside arm!!!

Not so sure you're being very helpful Luca...