1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey is going out for football again.

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

That's so great! Best of luck for the season!

dtalbott likes this.
  2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'd email the coach and ask him if anyone records the games and puts them up on youtube for private viewing. I record every one of my daughter's softball and baseball games and put it up for my dad to watch. At a football game there HAS to be at least one parent out there recording it all, if not someone doing it for the school.

dtalbott likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

:beer:

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Fuck that.

We need joey cell number
    Mothers cell
    Coaches cell and email
    A.d cell and email and
    List of local news station in his area we will handle the rest,we will get some damn info.:crackup:

scottn and dtalbott like this.
  5. dtalbott

From the head coach:

"He is doing well and learning as he goes. He is also working to get into better playing shape and conditioning. I really like him as he is a fine young man and very polite. I want him to stick it out and progress."

And he will let me know if anyone is recording the games.

6. assjuice cyrus

Bam!

Joey is da MAN.

We will need some video of Joey plays. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  7. dtalbott

This is all I can get out of him tonight, after the first game:

"It was good and we won."

Like pulling teeth....

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Maybe he's just being circumspect.

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If no one is recording them, the new gopro setups aren't that expensive. Teach your wife how to start the recording and just let it go. One 64g card should cover a good 5 hours.

10. dtalbott

Was told someone is recording them. Waiting for access.

11. dtalbott

Had a good talk with Joey today, and it's time to temper expectations a bit.

Joey has what can't be taught (size), but he's never played organized tackle football before. Almost all of the other kids have been playing for years.

The coaches are working with him to get him up to speed, improve his strength, and improve his fitness, all great things that he needs.

For now Joey is mostly playing special teams. Hopefully that will change as he improves.

I'm proud of him for sticking with this.

BigBird, Razr, vfrket and 7 others like this.
  12. dtalbott

Time for an update.

His playing is dependent on how the team is playing. When they have a big lead, he plays more.

Anyway, they were winning big at the last game, and put Joey in on defense. He was involved in a play that nobody really saw until they watched the game film the next day.

Here's what I was told.

QB gets the snap, ready to pitch to the halfback, and the ball is fumbled. Nobody was sure what caused the fumble.

Game film review shows Joey's blocker apparently not moving fast enough, so Joey pretty much picked up the blocker and tossed him into the QB, causing the fumble.

Not sure what you call that technique, but the coaches were happy with it.

Hopefully he gets more playing time as the season rolls on.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Awesome, it sounds like he's a strong boy, and with his size is a great combo. Keep it up Joey!

dtalbott likes this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That’s called “Hulk smash”. It’s hard to teach. :D

badmoon692008 and dtalbott like this.
  15. assjuice cyrus

Proud of you Joey, Keep it up. The practice's are hard and tough but the reward in life will be worth it. Good job man.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

I played baseball all the way into college. I went out for the football team in junior high school. I went to one practice and said screw this shit. They break bones and shit in football. Too rough for my skinny ass back then. It made my vagina hurt.

17. dtalbott

Season finished last night, and Joey started at nosetackle.

Played three series, recorded three tackles. Apparently the other team tried to run up the middle.

On to varsity next school year.

Jed, ChuckS, Boman Forklift and 2 others like this.
  18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Tell him to get with his coaches about a off season program to improve and look into football camp

5axis and dtalbott like this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There has to be a speed, conditioning and injury prevention program or place down that way for him to work out at. Tons of them up here and my kid will be doing one once things slow down.

If he could drop a good chunk of weight, build his endurance and his speed, with his size, UFA! :up:

dtalbott likes this.
  20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

For those of use that didn't follow what happened last year was there an issue that kept him from playing? My son's on the bigger side and had foot issues for years. Now he gets bored in gym class and asks to go to the weight room. Benching 200 as a freshman.