Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh yeah, love the mud, the muck and the messy races.

3. t500racer

I hate them, but for some reason I always seem to do well in them.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

So, little dude (he’s eight) finally said “hey, I want a bike!” The next day, he had an XR50 with training wheels. His mom didn’t have time to rescind her approval. :D

Other than being smooth on the throttle and looking where he wants to go, what should I be telling him to improve his riding? Or rather, what basic dirt techniques should I instill in him? Any books to read? What sayeth the dirty dirt bikers on the beeb’?

5. eggfooyoung

Can he ride a bicycle without training wheels? That's step one, and where I'd start. My 7 y/o just started without them on a bicycle. Working on the 5 y/o.

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

We have been having some luck with putting the bike in second gear and using the throttle limiting screw to set top speed. Less jumpy and smoother than first gear. I was helping a buddy last night work on his bike trailer and his just turned 4 year old came riding up, stopped, jumped off, and put the bike on the kickstand. I need to stop being a deadbeat and work with my kid a little more I guess.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Pull those training wheels and toss em in the trash. Kid will for sure fall down a few more times initially, but will pick it up quickly and won't need them. I've seen so many kids fight training wheels, they feel the physics of the bike below them, only to have it abruptly stop because they keep slamming the training wheel into the ground.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Agreed, ditch the traning wheels.
    Get him a impact rig if he doesn't have one, they adjust size so it'll fit for a long time. Mines had his since he was 4 and he's 6 now. We never did the training wheel thing, straight from the strider the to pw50.

9. Resident Plarp

Kiddo has plenty of speed on his strider and rides his pedal bike without wheels. I just wanted to get him familiar with the controls starting out.

Plenty of good gear is on the way, so, sorted on that aspect. My main concern is technique since I grew up on street bikes. Other than in slow, out fast - I really don’t know what to tell him in order to make him a safe rider on the dirt.

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

An XR50 isn't a race bike, so "in slow - out fast" isn't too much of an issue. Once he moves up to actual trail riding (not recommended on the XR), then you can start to work on technique. I think that right now, knowing that he's eight years old, it's understanding the controls and bike dynamics instead of actual fast riding techniques.

Trail techniques come into play when you move from the little wheel bikes into a 19" front/16" rear bike like an XR100 or TTR125.

11. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Anyone around philly PA who wants to ride? Looking for people to do some trail riding moto etc in the area.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Englishtown has weekly open practices. About an hour from ya.

JBowen33 likes this.
  13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Yeah I know. I usually end up going to NJ Field of dreams. Was more looking to get a group together to ride. I suck at motocross (still enjoy it tho) but would like to find people to hit up some trail riding. Not a fan of riding alone

14. eggfooyoung

Come to Ohio. We'll drag you through some trees.

Used2Bfast 2, renegade17 and JBowen33 like this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Come up to Wolverine in September where we promise not to drag your ass through the woods.

We’ll just leave you there.

:D :D :D

renegade17 likes this.
  16. Resident Plarp

8091F175-5419-45C2-ADF3-6FB474D4227F.jpeg In other news, it’s an ORV permit-free weekend in Michigan.

scottn, Wheel Bearing and renegade17 like this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

WTF ? :crackup:

18. Resident Plarp

The Sheriff’s department indicated that the vehicle would remain in place until today. So yeah, someone “done goofed.”

19. t500racer

You should be able to get over that fucker using the "double punch" technique...

XFBO likes this.
  20. Resident Plarp

I’d have ridden right up the hood on that thing ala trials style, if I had different tires on the bike, and were a real asshole.