1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 SV650 cutting out in high rpm?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trevor636, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

My 2001 SV650 is cutting out in high rpm around 9,500rpm. Bike is at my mechanics now and he has cleaned carbs and checked all the air passages and said its all clean in the fuel system now and he installed new plugs but although it made it run smoother in low and mid rpm it did not fix the cutting out issue in high rpm that i dropped the bike off for. Bike is all stock except for slip on muffler. Anyone had similar problems. At this point im thinking its electrical?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

petcock working?
    Anyway to run it on a dyno?

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Could be the regulator rectifier. You should change that out for a mosfet type, regardless. There a bunch of write ups on svrider.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Coil wire loose? Those spade connectors get loose/tired over the years. I had it happen to me at NOLA a couple years back. Intermittent lose of power to one cylinder. Scared the shit out of me mid race when bike fell flat on its face at full tilt.

Nice thing was they are somewhat "serviceable". I pulled the connector off and was able to pinch in back and regain a tight connection.

5. Dave675

It's not a bad idea to solder those connections.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

How old is the battery?

7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The foam on the underside of the tank is loose and covering the opening of the airbox at high RPM/WFO. Been there done that.

8. Wasn’t yours a piston trying to come out the top? :).

turner38 likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

On our SV the spark plug wire connection into the boot was causing this problem. Clipped the end of the wire, new plug, and all was well. I think I used the existing boot, didn't have a spare at the track.

MurfSVR likes this.
  10. turner38

That was a second Gen...

11. I still had to give you some sh$t regardless. You know I give you utmost credit for building the kid a proper piece of race kit.

12. turner38

I deserve some shit over it!!!
    It wasnt bad for our first guess, hopefully the next iteration will be a little better with the things we have learned. We will see at PIR.

13. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I had this happen on a 2nd gen and it ended up being a bad spark plug boot - it may be coming loose or failing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Not at all, id trust you to build a motor for me

15. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

Bike does have a new battery installed. I do have a spare parts sv to steal from i will swap the rectifier and check spark plug boots and see if that resolves it.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Check all of the electrical connections while you are under the tank. It doesn't sound like a reg/rec because if that failed, then you would be running a "total loss" system, and the battery would just go dead. If the bike can restart under its own power, it's likely not the reg/rec. I think that it's most likely a bad connection in the ignition stream or a fuel delivery issue.

Brad likes this.
  17. Dave675

They do not always fail like that. In fact, my first sv I ever bought had a bad r/r that would charge at idle and up to 5k or so and then quit. The bike would run fine until you started to get it up into the higher rpm range and then it would start to cut out. I'm not saying that it is OP's problem, but it is worth looking into and definitely worth changing out for a mosfet type.

18. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

We had this issue on both the 1st gens we raced, and I can't count how many other 1st gen racers I've helped with this. Something in that plug wire, where it goes into the boot, the metal core always frays out and starts to make bad contact. Snip 1/4" off and you're back in business.

Hordboy and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I've seen this happen a few times on my bikes....high rpm cutting out due to bad r/r.

20. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Always start at the front cylinder plug cap/wire connection. Have seen that a LOT.