1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on getting a title years after original purchase

Discussion in 'General' started by slowohioboy344, Aug 9, 2018.

1. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

So I purchased a new bike from an out of state dealer for track only duty. Originally had planned to get the title earlier but didn't really "Need" it for anything and have no desire to put it on the street.

Now it has been a few years and there is a possibility that work may create a situation where I need to sell the bike. While I could sell it with the Certificate of Origin only, it would probably be better to just get it taken care of. Don't want anything tax related coming back to me down the road if anyone tried to title it.

Anyone done this before and what issues may be ahead when I do this? The bike is not going to the street, and due to that I am not certain it would pass their inspection if required...… Have no desire to re-install stock parts and lights to get that done. The bike would only be bought by a racer or track day rider anyhow.

Thanks for any info

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

You can certainly sell it either way, I think you'll find more value out of selling it with a real title, but that also costs money. You're the only person who can technically ever title the bike though if the Certificate of Origin is signed over to you already and you're not a dealer...unless someone finds a loophole in their state's laws, uses white-out, etc. But to title it, you'll most likely have to pay sales tax on the purchase. Been through this before, ended up being cheaper to buy a frame off ebay with a good title than it was to try and track down the original Cert of Origin owner, pay sales tax, etc.

3. slowohioboy344

Yeah, I'm good with the sales tax thing. It is something I should have done when I got it.

Anything else that they may make me do? IF the tax is all then I have no concerns.

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Hey, I just bought this and they gave me this CoO. I would like to apply for a title.
    Pay tax on purchase price
    Pay tax on title fees, etc.
    Walk away happy, but a bit poorer.

5. slowohioboy344

Thanks for the information!

Just had me worried cause of the out of state purchase I guess

6. Depending on the state you live in, you may need to sign an affidavit stating that during the time the bike was without title, it was never ridden on streets.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

AFAIK this is 100% correct for Ohio (you'll be paying the tax rate for your county). I can't imagine why you'd want to pay that much tax just to resell a bike that'll not be going back to street. A bill of sale and the MSO should be sufficient... a few bucks to get the BOS notarized would be icing on the cake.

8. slowohioboy344

Only reason is cause I still have all of the stock parts...… SO while I cant imagine anyone putting git on the street, someone down the road could. If they did that MCO has my name all over it. Having never had a bike without a title in hand, just don't want to have a surprise later on. And the price of the bike will reflect some of that additional cost, since there are several sold without the title. (At least that is my thought....). Hell this bike is built better than when I was actually racing.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean the tax he should have legally paid when he bought the bike no matter what it's intended use?

TurboBlew and I'm with Stupid like this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that one :rolleyes:

Dumb to even debate the whole thing, but I've got some time to kill....

Why should Ohio get the tax dollars instead of the state where the bike was purchased? Is it because the money will supposedly be used to maintain the roads it will be used on? The roads that this track bike never touches?

Why would/should anyone go out of their way to make sure the state has more money to piss away? Ohio decided the mechanism to collect tax is via the title agency.

Do you go ahead and mail in the amount you would pay for a ticket every time you find yourself a few mph over the limit and no cops were around to collect it? same/same

Silly debate, so I won't go on

11. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, he lives in Ohio and per the laws they should get tax income on the vehicle.

Avoiding taxes isn't remotely the same as not paying a ticket you didn't get. This thread alone proves it. He didn't get a title and now wants one - you want a title to be able to sell a vehicle then you pay the taxes.

As for where the tax money is spent - what does that have to do with anything? You want a title to keep your vehicle legal - then pay the cost.

It is a silly debate. Avoiding taxes is stupid as hell and illegal.

13. If you don’t like the rules, work to change them.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Georgia is simple - I pulled the Buell from the road years ago and don't have to pay for tags or the like and have it insured through our inland marine policy - but I did pay my tax and do have a title.

15. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

You can't just add to the sale price for something you didn't take care of in the first place that cost you extra money. That's like having to pay for repairs to get a car/bike fixed before selling it and adding the repair costs to the sale price. Not cool.

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Still have it? If so, and you plan to sell it, someone will pay back taxes on it. Part of the tag fee is property tax on the vehicle. You just won't have to pay each year's tag fee.

If purchased under the current system (where you may not have paid any property tax), there will be a huge chunk to pay when you go to sell it.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well since you bought the bike new and never titled... there wont ever be a suprise.

Putting race bikes back on the street? Theres not enough clapped out used bikes that have never been race prepped?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did you move out? They nuked the ad valorem years ago.

19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

No they didn't. It was restructured to favor the sale of new cars, versus used.

When you go to sell it, you may experience an unpleasant surprise.

20. slowohioboy344

None of this was to start any debate..... I didn’t know the rules and wanted to see if anyone here did.

And a titled bike has a higher resale than an untitled one....... why would you not sell your titled bike for more than your untitled one. There is no evil deed here, just obvious that a bike with a title sells for more than one without.