1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is a Winning Machine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Lowest common denominator and standardized testing are nonsense to me. I'd be very agreeable to the Dept of Education focusing on absolutely nothing but STEM curriculum and leave anything else up to the state, county, parents or whoever.

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

yes, please do

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Whore.

4. In Your Corner

As opposed to "Susie sat in the boy's restroom wondering what gender she would be next week"?

Oh look, modern public school!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    kangasj likes this.
  5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Geez O Pete! You quite obviously think our economy is a zero sum game. Why can't ALL working Americans see improvement? Do you think Trump is doing what he is doing for personal or family financial gain? If so I pity your narrow pesimistic views....

K51000 likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

New GOP ad.

K51000 and blkduc like this.
  7. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

That's really the key, if America is broken up into smaller regions. Many of our primary and secondary school systems have overall performance metrics that rival the top systems in the world. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, much of our school system is left to local and state control with drastically varying levels of quality.

Might depend on how you look at it. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, there's a lot of room for improvement, but we still have one of the best overall higher education systems in the world and it's accessible by almost everyone.

8. In Your Corner

If they are so wonderful, why does everyone who can afford to send their kids to private school do so?
    And after decades of central control by experts, and an obscene rise in the cost of educating a student, why is there so much room for improvement?

cav115 and sheepofblue like this.
  9. Montoya

I'd really disagree with the notion of useless degrees, however I fully agree that we have staggering amounts of student debt that are an economic time bomb for our society. Do you really think the current proposals by the administration are a solution for this though?

10. Chino52405

This isn't the case everywhere because there are some absolutely amazing public schools where the money congregates. But by and large, we value our children and many have the ability to spend money to buy them the best product. That may include all sorts of extra carriculars and not just school. Sometimes it's about supporting the local parish or religious school and community, that was the case for me as a kid. Regardless, we need the baseline as a society whether it's as ineffecient as every other govt agency or not.

Montoya likes this.
  11. Montoya

That's a false statement, not everyone who can afford to does so. Some of us consider the school districts one of the principal factors of deciding where to live. I'm not sure what you're referencing about decades of control by experts, most schools are still primarily controlled by local school boards and state regulators. Department of Education policies do come into play, but are not the principal control factors. If we're still speaking of primary and secondary schools, not all districts have had obscene rises in the cost of educating students. As for why there is so much room for improvement, as mentioned earlier, we have a very diverse set of performance levels and many districts could learn from the top quartile schools. Additionally, even for the top performers, just like any continuous improvement consultant would state, there's always room for improvement and we cannot rest on the laurels of yesterdays performance numbers.

K51000 and Chino52405 like this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No degree is completely worthless, but many are not worth what they cost, if there is any expectation of a return on investment. If your career objective is to become a highly educated barista, go for it. Many would be better served economically foregoing the 4 year degree and going for community college or votech. There is no shortage of -ology majors. There is a severe shortage of technical and trade trained people. YMMV.

cav115 likes this.
  13. Chino52405

Would be interesting to start trade schooling earlier again and branch out the definition of trades. Some kids could become competent programmers out of high school if put on a trade type track. They wouldn't be software engineers, but a carpenter isn't an architect either.

14. Montoya

I'd agree, with the caveat that this is primarily a problem of people limiting their field of work to their specific degree. Completely agree that more people would be better served at a community college tech program or in a formal apprenticeship trade program.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

This. Must. Happen.

16. In Your Corner

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

But some carpenters know more about building than some Architects.

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:. Winning! I'm getting tired of all this winning!:D

K51000 likes this.
  19. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Moral victory? That’s a new one. I like how people say the media is not biased when dems lose they still win with a moral victory if republicans loss then it would be the country rebukes trump these guys are asshats.

K51000, blkduc, XFBO and 1 other person like this.
  20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Moral Victory!
    RESIST!
    My TDS is flarin' up!

I want to know when WERA is going to start giving out Moral Victory trophies for races.

:crackup:

gixxerreese and cav115 like this.