1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$1,000,000,000,000

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Credit hold works even with 1000 lb gorillas. :D

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I never said Jobs was an idiot. I was just pointing out that Apple isn’t innovative. They are followers in the tech industry. There products are usually a generation behind on the technical side. They use or buy others ideas, and then try to sue their competitors out of business. But they sure package it all up in a nice shiny box.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But their shit works. Others can innovate and deal with the bugs, I'll take a finished product.

Spooner likes this.
  4. backcountryme

It never ceases to amaze me how Apple fanboys will defend the company with such fervor. Is it because 5hey want to justify paying so much for inferior tech? I get that the Apple ecosystem is easy to use, and is stripped down enough to make it run on low power hardware. But you can do the same thing with a copy of Ubuntu and save money. I just don’t get the fanboy mentality.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not mindlessly defending them and not a fanboy. Also not a hater. And never gotten inferior tech from them.

I don't want to program my own phone or play around with buggy apps. I want to fire it up and have it work. Apple does that and does it well.

SGVRider and backcountryme like this.
  6. backcountryme

And I am the guy that likes to build my own computers. I built my desktop, a rack mounted NAS, and a rack mounted video game server. I get that you just want to use your computer. That’s cool. And Apples hardware is fine. I really just can’t stand their business practices. When you go on their site to spec a computer and you decide you want 16gb of ram so you choose that on the drop down and see that it will cost you an additional $200. That is on top of the price you were already going to pay for 8gb. So they are charging you $200 for 1 8gb stick of ram. On Newegg that same single stick is about $85. You want a 512gb ssd upgrade? That will cost you $300 additional. A gigabyte 512 ssd on new egg is $98. They are going to charge you over 3 times the retail value of a standard drive for the upgrade. And remember, they don’t subtract the cost of the part you are upgrading. So in reality the ssd upgrade cost you more because you are paying for the original drive, plus the inflated cost of the upgrade.

7. backcountryme

Then, if you want to upgrade later with something you lose the warranty because you have to open the computer to do it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Blah blah blah blah - don't buy their stuff... No reason to be upset about it :crackup:

I have yet to see 512gb SSD's for 100 on new egg that will work. Which is why I have a 500gb external SSD....

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never had one I needed to upgrade within the warranty period. And yes I have had a tone of windows laptops. I spend as much on them as I do Apple when comparing them over 3-5 years.

I've been doing this a long time and have run the numbers, Apple makes good stuff for a good price no matter how much you want to hate on them and how much you're willing to waste your own time building and programming. I've done it, I don't want to do it anymore, it's worth the money to pay someone else to do the work.

joec likes this.
  10. packfan

packfan El Presidente

Even more so when you talk about getting an iPhone. There is not a sole that could convince me that NOT putting an MicroSD card slot iPhone (I honestly don't know if the new ones have one or not but previously they did not) was not a intentional decision to force tech challenged to upgrade phones to have more f'ing pictures (or so they thought/think).

I also don't need anyone "approving" all the software I want to load on my devices. Just because USER's are idiots and most need their hand held does not mean it is bad tech (ie Windows and android).

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This is always fun.

What do you want on a phone you can't get through the Apple peeps?

What do you need more storage on a phone for? Mine isn't even 1/4 full with at least 1500 pictures.

I'm just not seeing what there is to bitch about... Yeah if you want to mod your shit then buy something else. But getting upset over Apple being mean and not letting you do things is silly.

SGVRider likes this.
  12. backcountryme

I listen to a lot of audio books that I stream off my phone (iphone from work) and I have to delete books quite often. If I had an sd card I could have as many as I want on it. And yes, I am one of those weird guys who will listen to the same book multiple times.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, so as much as you love playing with tech you don't want to move things from the phone to a computer and back :crackup:

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm bummed that my 6 has slow down to the point of ridiculous. But you know what, I'm going to get an 8.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Weren't they supposed to stop doing that?

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

They tell you they did, but the performance tells the truth. And it's been crashing.

Or maybe we're just spoiled with the speeds today.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think that is a lot of it older phones aren't as slow as the seem to be compared to new.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Did you get a new battery for it when they were doing the swaps for $30? I did and it made a huge difference.

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I've worked for a couple of Fortune 100 companies. Neither of them pay on time.

The first was so chintzy that they wouldn't consider paying a small vendor until the bill was 180 days old. Then they'd start processing the bill, so that it typically took 270+ days to get a check from them.

The second typically will pay in 45-90 days for Net 30 terms, but you can speed up payment by taking a 10-30% discount.

Evil.

20. backcountryme

Hard to do that when I am in Toronto and my desktop is in Calgary.