1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail braking

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ZimZam, Aug 2, 2018.

1. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

What is it, and how is it performed in relation to racing? Arigato.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This one is much more a tech type thing so I'll move it in there.

Short answer is braking - albeit lighter than your initial grab - all the way to the apex of the corner.

3. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

slowing down slowly to go faster

ZimZam and Knotcher like this.
  4. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

I'll remember that in the future. Thanks.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No worries at all - it's just one of those subjects that benefits all riders not just new ones.

zrx12man and ZimZam like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

in racing? Very aggressive and skillfully! :D

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Phl218, beac83, ZimZam and 2 others like this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

u could write a short book on trail braking and the how and why of it. a more specific question would be better for an Internet forum.

if I had to type something as short as possible...
    - trail braking is braking while turning. the word "trail" comes from the idea that one might want to trail off the brakes (reduce braking force) while adding lean angle.
    - why? racers do this because its faster. it can help the moto turn a tighter radius. it can increase front tire grip. it scrubs off speed and can allow u to brake later. all of those lead to lower lap times.
    - how? thats too much for 2 sentences. reducing brake pressure inversely proportional to added lean angle is a good start.

track wagon, Schwiz, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  9. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

*all the way to the slowest point of the corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blueYam, ZimZam, khill and 1 other person like this.
  10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Trail braking happens right before you crash. :)

418, jp129 and TLR67 like this.
  11. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I really like understanding the science and math stuff behind things so maybe you do too.

I guess the what it is is easy. Just breaking all the way to the apex (or about) while reducing pressure as you go.

Ok so for the fun stuff. While the forks are compressed you get a much steeper angle on the steering which will make the bike far easy to turn. Secondly grip levels increase with more weight or forces being applied to the tires. Force = Mass x Acceleration but in this case I guess it's deacceleration. As you breaking your pushing that front tire into the ground which increases traction. If and when you start to practice trail braking DO NOT just let off them mid corner. I think most people learn trail braking though wreckless riding in a way. I know for myself I just entered corners way to fast and was like well ummmm here we go and then didn't crash. Some corners lend themselves to this a lot while others don't at all.

ZimZam likes this.
  12. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

*or past the apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You trail brake in your car in every corner. Think about how you brake till you achieve the speed and direction you are happy with, then slowly applying less and less brake until you are back on the gas. That’s trail braking.

ZimZam likes this.
  14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Nailed it!

15. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member