1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a race van

Discussion in 'General' started by obcbr, Jul 30, 2018.

1. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I'm shopping around for an E150 style van. Can they effectively pull a 7x16 enclosed trailer? Or, would it be better to look for a larger van. Those get exponentially more expensive, and at that point I debate buying an RV.

Also, what should I look for as a problem in the various vans? My price range is about 6k.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Shouldn't be hard to find an old fleet E-250 or E-350 with the 5.4L. They're so much more common than the E-150 that sheer volume keeps the price down. I think I paid $3700 for mine in 2011 and it only had 69k on it.

obcbr likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

If you're planning on towing, look for a heavy duty van, not a 150.

My Chevy (which I happen to have for sale here on the BBS :D) is a one ton and that would tow your trailer no problem.
    You get a beefier chassis, larger brakes, stronger transmission etc.
    The transmission alone is worth it in my mind.

In my experience, the Chevy is a better van than the Ford. The Chevy drives like a big car where the Ford needs constant corrections to drive down the road.
    The dog house on a Ford is bigger than on the Chevy so you have less leg room.

YMMV

418 likes this.
  4. 418

418 Expert #59

I have a E150 conversion. It's a 4.6

I pull a 6X12 with AC unit on top. It does decent but I'd hate to pull anything bigger. I have btw and it was a joke.

The 5.4 in E250 is much better.

obcbr likes this.
  5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

For some reason, every time I follow a van that's dog tracking, it's a Ford....

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Or a half-melted taillight.

7. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

You don't like gear boxes that you need to whack left then right constantly to keep straight?

obcbr likes this.
  8. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Well-Known Member

Love the Chevy/GMC, bullet proof and much more comfortable/roomy driver accommodations than Ford. Had few of each and love this long wheel base Chevy Express.
    Since the wheel base itself is longer (versus the Ford longer body on same wheelbase) it tows much better and will handle more tongue weight do to less leverage on the rear axle.
    Don't mind the colour lol.. thumbnail_20171217_131949_resized.jpg

obcbr and 418 like this.
  9. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Stay away from the 5.4L I had it in a 2010 f150 limited motor let go at 90,000

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

???

There’s literally MILLIONS of those engines out there, many with well into six figure mileage. Outside of the well known issues with plugs, manifold studs, and coil packs, they’re pretty reliable.

SnacktimeKC and 418 like this.
  11. sowega

sowega #710

Around 2 years ago, I got my E-350 Superduty for $3500. Other than the 89 mph governor, it has been headache-free and perfect for hauling bikes and keeping my yeti of a GSD out of my car.

obcbr and 418 like this.
  12. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Known issues or not, doesn’t sound like my definition of reliable. I’ll stick with my Toyota.

JBowen33 likes this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah I'm sure no Toyota's ever blown up prematurely.

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Toyota Hi-Ace van isn't available in the US so the Chevy is the second best.
    Plus the Hi-Ace I had in Europe was all of 75 hp so not the fastest thing I've ever driven.
    They were pretty reliable except for the occasional cracked head.

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My personal preference is the GM over the Ford due to the wheelbase and 6.0 as mentioned above. But they both work fine at the end of the day. Just pick one that is decent enough shape. You can fix just about anything on a US made cargo van with duct tape and zip ties anyway.

obcbr likes this.
  16. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. CJ has a great van, but so far away. I'm in Memphis.

17. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Garrett, I'm selling my conversion van. Chevy . 98 model. Hightop. 5.7 liter.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

JD Beach has a Bad Ass one.... Chevy I think.....

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm not sure he does anymore. Seems like he did one of his videos not that long ago from a Sprinter.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. 418

418 Expert #59

Just as a heads up, not all Express Vans have the 6.0. I've actually seen 3500 with a 4.8. so make sure you know what you're buying.

ungwaha likes this.