1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I was thinking this would be good to post for ALL racers and not just first timers. And don’t flame me if I forgot something or have a grammar issue, I think I’m late for my tee time.

Getting tire service to every race org and race weekend isn’t easy. And when you add in track days it gets even more difficult. Your vendors are passionate motorcyclists that give up riding and family weekends to do what they love and that’s helping you. And if you think they’re driving S 65 AMGs and flying in first class from the meager profits they make then think again. If it was such a great business then I would’ve had a line 10 people deep trying to get a Pirelli territory, but that never happened. So, in the big picture with some instances of double race weekends nearby the service may not be perfect but generally a Pirelli canopy and sticky buns can be found at your race event. Track days of course are different as some have tire sponsors so there MAY or may not be a Pirelli vendor there.

· Finding your local vendor should be easy, you have a smart phone and you’re smart enough to use it right?
    · The busiest time for the tire truck is after the last practice and before the first race, so figure this out quick. Then drop your extra set of wheels at the tire truck around 9 or 10 and guess what you will MAKE yours and everyone’s race day less stressful.
    · Don’t’ have extra wheels? That’s a tough sell when your vendor sees you carrying 300 buck’s worth of race gas past his truck every weekend by the way.
    · Put your name on your wheels, and yeah using a sharpie is ok. On a busy day with 5 sets of R6 wheels in the rack you’ll know how to find yours.
    · Take your spacers, sprocket carrier, etc. out of the wheels and leave them at your pit. If you’re not sure about this ask.
    · Get metal valve stems or buy them from us, trust me you’ll like them better too!
    · We like clean wheels and so should you, just do it!
    · Put your wheels in the rack instead of on the ground, duh?
    · If your wheel always takes a lot of weight it means the wheel is wacky and it’s not the tire. And we see in most instances the weight USUALLY goes in about the same place.
    · We will move the tire on the wheel to use less weight but sometimes it doesn’t help much.
    · Using 1 or 3 ounces (4 squares is an ounce) is not a big deal. Remember that a race tire is NOT going to last 10 thousand miles so it’s no big deal if it takes 2 or 3 ounces to balance.
    · Pirelli balance dot(s) are red and they mark the light point and typically align with valve stem. To use the least amount of weight they may not align but don’t freak out because the wheel and tire ARE balanced.
    · Sometimes a tire and wheel will not need weight. It happens a lot so don’t freak out.
    · If you want your take offs write your name on them and take them away ASAP
    · Yes, we will mount brand X or Y for a fee, but our regular customers should be serviced first don’t you think?
    · And if you want us to mount brand X or Y you need to ask yourself why isn’t your brand serviced at this race event? And this happens across the US on a regular basis.
    · Please pay your bill before you leave, especially if you’re on brand X or Y. And yes, that 20 bucks for mounting you forgot to pay us makes a difference buying fuel to get home.
    · Dry tires out sell rains by 20 to 1 so if we have 150 tires on the truck you can bet about 20 or less will be rains.
    · Rain tires, we either have too many or not enough.
    · If brand X is out of rains then things get complicated quickly. So if you know that the truck only has 10 sets of rains and it’s sprinkling then step up and get a set.
    · And most importantly when it starts sprinkling/raining you don’t want your main competition buying the last set because he’s willing to pull the trigger before you do?
    · We bring the most popular and best compounds to each track we’re going to. If you’re new to this track maybe call or text to make sure we have you covered.
    · No, we can’t exchange your 6-year-old discontinued Superbike Pro for a current SC1
    · We will exchange a current SC1 for a current SC0 if we have enough stock
    · Some sizes or compounds might not be big sellers in our area so call ahead until I know your buying habits. Basically, nobody races on a 180/55-17 so don’t freak out when we don’t have them. But we will have tons of 180/60s.
    · Diablo Wets (the intermediate tire) is a very special use product so don’t be shocked if we don’t have them. They work perfect when the track is damp and it’s NOT raining and the track is not drying. So, when does that happen?
    · Each weekend take good notes of your bike to accurately track your racing progression. You’re learn when to rebuild the motor, suspension, brakes, or replace common things like brake fluid and chains. Counting heat cycles and tire mileage will help you learn when the tires start to drop off, and when to replace them.
    · Know and check your suspension settings, pressures, gauge, and warmers often. Everyone has heard about the idiots messing with bikes late at night, right? So, check your settings/data often and then come to us with tire questions. And we always find 98% of the time it’s NOT a tire issue.
    · Tire pressures should come from us at the track as we know what works best for the current conditions. Jimmy X on the BBS should not your reference person.
    · And remember your times will drop by 2 seconds per lap if you get us the wheels first thing in the morning we promise:D

2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is meant to spark any sort of conversation, but there's something I've always wondered about that you mentioned here. The red dot that marks the light point on the tire...how do they measure/figure that out? Do they have some sort of balance machine that can check the balance of just the tire without a wheel so they know where to put the dot? It'd be interesting to see how that's all done. I've been through one of the Michelin tire plants but it was a pretty quick tour and only saw parts of the process. Not to mention it was for car tires only.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

At the factory in Germany the tire comes out of the vulcanizing oven and then EVERY tire is hand inspected, the flash is trimmed off, then it's put on a run out and balance machine and checked, then the tire gets the red dot(s). And then it's put in the shipping rack.

R/T Performance and sbk1198 like this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sure no problem but it was always funny to see guys put their tires on the ground NEXT to the rack race after race after race.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'll never understand how people who trust a machine to bring them to triple-digit speeds amidst dozens of other people doing the same don't take the time to clean their equipment. I've seen guys take a set of wheels off and their hands look like they just did a transmission swap on a fleet Peterbilt.

We're not talking about daily tear-downs and individual part cleaning like they do in MotoGP, but basic maintenance should include keeping your ride clean. It's a LOT easier to identify/notice something that is out of the ordinary (leaks, marks, fluid seepage, etc.) when you are starting with a clean slate than if your bike looks like it just finished the Dakar.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only one time did I refuse to change a tire for a guy... His silver rear rim was honestly all black from Shitty Chain Lube and used rubber ect... I didn't think it was ever wiped down... He cleaned it half ass and I just went a head and started..... Only to have a Handfull of those BS Dyna beads to fall out all over the Jaws of my machine... I was beyond pissed there and put his shit to the side for about 30 Min....

No Brakes, TurboBlew, Newyork and 5 others like this.
  7. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

I really like this post. It's important for all us racers to practice this level of etiquette with our tire vendors.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Thank you and it's something I can do NOW that I retired. And I'm guessing 70% of the track day guys have not interacted with a race tire vendor.

9. John Branch

John Branch 90125

You where by far my favorite tire guy! And I’m not being biased!:timeforabeer:

10. John Branch

John Branch 90125

For us privateers building a relationship with your tire guy can be your most useful tools in your race program ! Jeff treated me the same even before I came from the dark side! What a time 1996 Daytona bike toberfeast :flag:

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Hey John Branch we could blow up the BBS with some stories eh? Rob is doing good too! THX for the shout out!!

John Branch likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I just wear gloves when I work on my bike ;)

I do clean it every now and then, but wheels get dirty so quick, it's pretty much impossible to keep them clean at all times. Every time I have to swap wheels at the track, first thing I do is put gloves on.

13. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Check your bearings and don’t over lube chain. Wheels don’t get that dirty? FYI you keep it clean stays cleaner. You let get dirty and dirt attracts dirt quicker from what I have seen.

14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

You take your bike clean to get worked on you will have a better relationship with your mechanic. You take your wheels clean to your tire guys you will have a better relationship. Clean equipment last longer and you can inspect on a regular basis easier. It’s you and your fellow competitors obligation for safety! All it takes is ONE ACCIDENT and things are forever changed!

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Bringing dirty equipment to your service guy is disrespectful.

TLR67 and John Branch like this.
  16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Brilliant post RTG. Belongs in General and Tech as well.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And I forgot this: Writing which compound and or Slicks, Rain, DOTs you want next to your last name on these take offs will speed up things. And you won't have to yell over the other guys we are currently talking to. :rolleyes:

TLR67 likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nice tip.
    I'll be writing "Sykes/Qualifying". :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Bump. For the love of God, bump.

gt#179, JBowen33, Floof and 2 others like this.