1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Harley Davidson thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

India?

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

So HD is finally realizing that they can't get away with selling the same old crap, year after year. Good to see them stretching out a bit. Hope it works out for them. The street fighter looks cool. That ADV bike probably weighs double my KLR650. Blech.

ChuckS likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I agree. The street fighter looks cool as fack. The adv bike though, I have to wonder if it's a joke or not. That thing is ridiculous. Whoever's bright idea it was at Harley to think they could make inroads into the ADV market with that thing should be fired.

cav115 likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have a friend that does adventure touring (all the way to places like Prudhoe Bay and Tuktoyaktuk Canada). He loves his Harley and rides it most of the time, but rides his BMW for the adventure stuff. He would probably be the perfect market for a Harley adventure touring bike. That is assuming it is as reliable as his boxer (doubtful). They might still have time to fix the looks, as per the video it isn't due out until 2020.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

So the "E" in the fxe stands for enduro now?

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Realistically trying to get a customer to purchase any of those bikes will be an uphill battle. OG Harley guys will pass, ADV riders will go to proven bikes, Street Fighter bikes are somewhat dead (about 5 years too late).

But good on them for trying to get our of their own way. I hope they succeed... but doubtful.

7. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Nobody is buying thier overpriced pos anymore. The used market is flooded, and the resale is nill. Used too, you could get msrp back when you traded one in. The days of fucking over the dealers is gone.

In 2003, if you sold a fat boy at msrp you made 3500.00.

418 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Someone is still buying them, “H-D market share for big bikes in the States is at 48.4 percent which is down just 0.1 percent compared to Q2 2017. Harley-Davidson market share is up 0.9 percent to a total of 10.4 percent in Europe.”

I’m curious, how was the motor company “fucking over” the dealers?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm seeing a lot of old school choppers around LA these days. Uber cool! I dig em.... Easy Rider is making a comeback. I'd rock one just for giggles.

10. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

That HD ADV is no uglier than any of the other dirt elephants out there. For the past year I have been looking at some of the big ADV bikes, Africa Twin (500lbs), Tenare (584lbs), BMW (538lbs), etc... they all weigh around 600 pounds without luggage.

If the Harley is close to that weight, I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable option.

By the way, those engines are not 45 degree twins. they are 65 degree.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

except it will be down on power and up on price compared to those 3. I dont particularly "like" any of them to motivate me to buy one... spent some time riding all 3 though.

12. intrcptrrdr

Certainly agree about the price. Though those three all range about $15k.

Have you seen any numbers for the new H-D engine; I haven't, but that doesn't mean anything more than I haven't searched yet.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Up on price over a kitted out GS? :eek:

14. intrcptrrdr

15. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on that. Harley knows what kind of power they need to make in order to be competitive. I am very positive that the HP on this bike is right up there.

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

More vtwins and now electric. Harley still does not exist to me.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Congrats Harley you invented a buell welcome to 2003

turbulence, 5axis and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!"

For unknown reason, that first ugly thing reminded me of Robot.

(I know, I'm old)

[​IMG]

...the handling must be similar.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you priced the big ADV bikes?

20. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

They’ll be sued over the ADV bikes name.....Pan America. Ugh, Porsche with the Panamera.....