1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 fork fitment

Discussion in 'Tech' started by lilmatt, Jul 24, 2018.

1. lilmatt

lilmatt Member

I’m sure this has been talked about before, but all my searches didn’t turn up what I was looking for. I’m more than happy to re read old material if someone can point me in the right direction.

I came into some new to me 2012 R6 forks. Ohlins 25mm, with caps and all. I want to put them on my 06-07 R6. I know they’ll fit, but I’m also aware of the differences in length, so my question is when I put the 2012 forks on, where should the new forks line up at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

put them flush with the triples for now.
    Once you figure out what tires you want to run and basic sag... @RMracing posted some baseline suspension measurements a few years ago to work from.

lilmatt likes this.
  3. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

10mm up in the trees as far as I know.

lilmatt likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

"it depends" ...

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

For basic setup, not factoring in stroke and sag, put your bike on a tree lift stand and measure from the top of the triple (or other fixed point) to the center line of the axle. Write down this number.

Install the new forks. Measure from the top of the triple (or previous reference point), and adjust height until axle center line is at the number you wrote down earlier.

Now measure and adjust sag, ride, and get it to a tuner for maximum performance.

lilmatt likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if you are racing... flush. start there, adjust as necessary.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    lilmatt likes this.
  7. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

that short? :D

9. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

That does seem short, but I suppose every track requires a different setup.

I'm running 538mm

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought the starting point was 535?

I imagine you can get them cheap, the 08+ lower triples bite 10mm higher, so that might be a cheap helpful fix, then you can also cut out the crossbrace below the airbox and that is supposed to help.

lilmatt likes this.
  11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry, I meant ~535. Phone fingered that...

12. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

Just curious, with that cut is it basically a 08+ frame or are there other differences?

13. MELK-MAN

yes, cut that brace, and that makes an 06-07 frame feel like the 08-16. more flex. same with as stated by Rob, putting the 08-16 lower triple clamp on (grabs forks higher) , more flex. more feel than the rigid 06-07 bike.

Boman Forklift and lilmatt like this.
  14. lilmatt

lilmatt Member

So aside from figuring out my fork situation (I’ll be putting them on tomorrow), those are a couple things I can do to make the bike feel better as well? Just clarifying.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

yep.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. lilmatt

lilmatt Member

Thanks for all the replies and help. Started the day running my forks flush on top during Friday practice. Ran them flush and also tried running them about 8mm inside the triples (per advice of a couple different suspension guys). Race day put them back flush because it felt better. Turns out once I picked up the pace for race pace Sunday I was bottoming out, so I put them back inside the triples. Ended up setting a pb my last race of the day. I’ll keep messing with it to try and find what feels best.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

bottoming is more a function of oil level, (less air gap, harder to bottom). Get your geometry to the point it turns good for you, but if it's bottoming, add oil (and could partially be low spring rate, but without enough oil, you can still bottom heavy springs)
    There is no reason at all, you can't run those forks with 5 or even 10mm of tube ABOVE the clamp.. it depends on what you are looking for, the track, the tire sizes, etc.

lilmatt likes this.
  18. lilmatt

lilmatt Member

Is this the brace y’all are talking about?

IMG_0686.jpg

19. MELK-MAN

yea, removal of it makes it an 08-16 frame, lil more flex..
    won't fix your bottoming problem ;)

20. lilmatt

lilmatt Member

What you use to cut it out? Cutting wheel I’m guessing? I think the bottoming out issue stemmed from coming off a wheelie on acceleration straight into braking... that’s my best guess. I’m going to try and get out this weekend, I’ve lowered my forks into my triples and I’m going to try and see how the bike feels.