1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So when does a trackday org really become a race org??

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jul 20, 2018.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know nothing about it, but they had "$800 in cash prizes to the top finishers in classes"......that is more like racing than most the racing we have in the United States. Hopefully it was safe too, since you mentioned corner workers.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Now that I think about it, just about every trackday org I've participated with has had some form of mock or otherwise actual "racing" series with cash/award payouts.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of trackdays groups and riders trying to live in a grey area, that I don't think really exists once there's an incident.
    I know I've heard guys say, oh I won't race Ccs or wera, because my health insurance won't cover it if I crash, but tpm is a "trackday" that just happens to race so the insurance won't know the difference...
    Same thing with bike insurance, they won't race, but will do a track day with a mock race since they can lie to the insurance company and say it was just a track day, or they think they can...

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what I don't get is when a track day org uses transponders???

also the whole insurance thing is moot unless you carry specific coverage.

6. noles19

Health or bike?
    Because there are people that file claims after crashing at trackdays, and it goes through.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I know Fastrak uses them at fontana and they actually police the times and bump people up and down.

The bands are still quite wide but for the major outliers it works quite well.

track wagon and Boman Forklift like this.
  8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Of the orgs I ran with back in the day, I'm pretty sure TPM was the only one who did the occasional quasi mock race at lunchtime....I don't recall if there were prizes but they did keep/have a point system. Maybe at the end of the season point leaders would get a prize or free trackday.....don't remember.

9. noles19

Hell tpm, pays back on some of the races, And has for years.

Ducti89 likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

Health. Some policies could consider track days "extreme" or "adrenaline" sports.

11. In on the first page motherfuckers.

track wagon likes this.
  12. TurboBlew

do they have less control riders or corner workers?

13. Boman Forklift

I actually like that fast track uses transponders. Amazing how people still lie about laptimes and forget fastback has them all listed.

Plus as noted by Jason, it helps them police things and run a very professional operation.

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i think it would be kinda neat to have some kind of time trial fun payout thing, track day or otherwise. like... hot laps and fastest single lap in each group wins a prize at the end of the day? like a GP qualifying session? and you get your 3 or 4 sessions in a day to try and snatch it? so you're not necessarily racing the people, but racing the clock and yourself, and still trying to push yourself for fast laps... which would seem to be the basis for going to a trackday anyways right? to practice and get faster and get track time? i guess that could get a little hairy if you're getting real aggressive and maybe others are not so in your group, but i dunno. sounds like it could be fun.

15. Boman Forklift

No, just very professionally run. Plenty of control riders and corner workers. I personally don't love the track, but it is the closest one in Los Angeles.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Ducati Omaha/Trackaddix does races after their trackdays and uses transponders. I didn't participate in either, but it was interesting to see everyone's times posted on the monitors they used.

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

TPM is still doing races at many of their track days. As a track day rider that is not interested in going racing, I don’t like it because it takes away from my track time, so I run with other orgs instead.

I also don’t bother with collision insurance on my track bike. As a 2003 R1, pretty much any claim I make will total it. They wouldn’t even know how expensive most of the stuff is to replace with all the aftermarket stuff I have on it.

If I took my street bike out to a track day and crashed, I would probably file a claim. It is training, not racing. Riders racing at track days and crashing during the race and then putting in a claim are committing insurance fraud. That raises the rates for everyone.

18. Boman Forklift

Until I helped out, worked some track days, I never even thought about people doing that.

We always ran uninsured racebikes, but I could see a person bringing their prized bike out and throwing it down the track, then wanting to file a claim.

19. I personally love that idea.

I know the age-old argument of "there is more to being in Advanced than lap times". For the most part, that is true. But someone riding in a group while being 15 seconds off pace can be dangerous. That is why I also feel that 250's should not be allowed in Advanced. It doesn't matter if it is a WERA Expert 250cc multi-National Champion, that doesn't change the fact that he is riding a bike that can create as much as an 80+mph speed differential. For splitting people up into groups, IMO there is no better metric for doing so than average lap times.

Taking Barber for example, IMO a good group split would be something like this...
    <1:40 = Advanced
    1:40-1:50 = Intermediate
    >1:50 = Novice

If someone is "on the bubble", that is when they can be surveyed by a Coach to help determine group placement.

20. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

This topic was discussed on another forum and the consensus is that this would lead to people pushing further past their limits and probably causing more harm than good. It would also take away from riding time for those people who do not want to participate in the time trial. Trackdays should be for practice, learning and becoming a safer rider. Racing should be for racing and the two should be kept separate IMHO.