1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Racer Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wheelz96, Jul 18, 2018.

1. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Hello all. I understand the questions of how to start racing have been beat in the head to death but I still have some of my own. I currently am riding an 18' ZX10R and I have done some trackdays and I ride often on the twisties but it's getting old. I love my bike but I don't want to risk binning a brand new bike on track. I'm looking for a track/race bike in the $4000 range. My question is if I were to pick up an older 600 for the $3500 range would it still be competitive racing? I understand talent plays a big factor but assuming I'm at a level to be competitive will an older bike have a chance? Are bikes from the mid 2000s era still competitive? What is the timeline for any vintage classes? Are the newer bikes with all the electronics transforming the field of novice racers? I feel very comfortable on my 1000 but don't think I could afford the tires let alone laying it down.

Quick background. I have raced my entire life starting from 14 years old racing MX, then flat track, and then after some broken bones dad said no more of this and then I started racing dirt cars eventually getting into sprint cars which I raced for about 8 years. Racing is in my blood and can't wait to join the motorcycle family of racing! I'm 32 years old and I'm just looking to have some fun next season, learn as much as possible, and see how it goes. Thanks in advance all.

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Yes. 06-07 600 will be competitive

wheelz96 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Starting out it's rider not bike so yes, an older bike can absolutely be competitive.

wheelz96 likes this.
  4. wheelz96

Good to hear! I know with dirt cars depending on the size of the track the fastest guys weren't always the best drivers but always had stacker trailers, haulers, newest and greatest.. you see what I'm saying. Just want to go out there and be competitive even if that means having a battle in the middle or back of the field for starters. I'll be at Lil Tally next weekend with STT and I see they have a racer school. Will that be accepted by WERA?

Thanks again all!

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes it will....

wheelz96 likes this.
  6. wheelz96

Now if I decide to take the racer school this year does that mean I need to get my license within a year of attending race school? I'm not racing this year but will start next year and don't want to waste the money if it expires.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're good up to a year. After that it varies.

8. wheelz96

Ok thanks. Do people rent out race bikes? If so any idea what something like that would cost? I can't think of a better way to get my feet wet without breaking the bank to get started.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't know of anyone currently renting racebikes.

10. wheelz96

Fair enough thought id ask. We used rent out dirt cars for the weekend and would be booked out most of the season as well as get people hooked after their first hit!

I live in the Augusta, GA area and would love to come to a race and spectate with my wife. Where is the next race locally?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Closest to Augusta is probably Road Atlanta September 8-9.

12. wheelz96

Great see you there! Thanks for the help and who knows I may have a bike by then and enter! Appreciate all the quick responses all!

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I think Seth Starnes and German Vacca rent bikes but they are both in Fkorida

14. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

I think @Russell Masecar rents out his SVs - albeit it isnt a 600, but maybe something to consider.

15. wheelz96

That would be fine with me. I have certainly been considering an SV to get started. Any idea how I can get in contact with him and do you know if he runs any of the southeast tracks?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

He does run the SE tracks...he will be at VIR first weekend of AUG for the endurance round. SV is a great teaching tool for anyone at any level. If you can ride an SV fast...you can ride. Nothing more fun than riding a slow bike fast. :D

Get you a nice SV with some spares and come on out. We'd love to have more SV's on the LWT grids. Come on by my pit at Rd ATL for a chat. Try to help any way I can. I'm the yellow SV #462

wheelz96 likes this.
  17. wheelz96

Thanks for the reply man. I would agree that riding a slow bike fast definitely says something about yourself as a rider! I have been browsing the web for a race ready SV as I know it will help make me a better rider. Learning momentum is betWhater than just powering out of a corner hiding mistakes. I will definitely stop by at RA and bug ya with some questions haha.

What would you say is a fair price for let's say a 2nd gen SV race ready with spares?

18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Come on by!

$3000-$4000 depending on amount of spares and condition/set up of bike Minimum of spare set of wheels, and suspension already set up. Plan on getting the suspension serviced and set up for you unless you happen to be same size of seller and it has been serviced very recently (verify). There is one on this forum in classified section right now.

wheelz96 and rcarson15 like this.