1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moab Info

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jul 13, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We're doin SLC to Idaho and then down to Moab for 3-4 days 2nd week of August. We'll probably be camping but I'm also on the lookout for VRBO and Airbnb. Any tips to think about? My son is doing the Whole Enchilada but we'll be hiking. As a note, we aren't rookies at this.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

August in Moab? That's going to be tons of fun.

I've never done a VRBO or AirBNB down there, although I have looked at a couple houses down there to use for that very purpose. But yeah, August? Is your son doing the full TWE loop, or just doing the shuttle ride and the downhill? Even the shuttle ride is a long ride, quite technical in spots, but a really neat trail. And very crowded these days. Well, maybe not in August though.

Not rookies, but what kind of tips are you looking for?

3. rd400racer

Mainly decent campgrounds. Hey, we did the Badlands in July and Death Valley in August, so we're obviously not right in the head:D Funny thing is, I find 110 out west to be lovely compared to 95 in the Ohio Valley.

We've just had a little bad luck when it comes to finding the perfect camp area. They look great in their pictures and then suck in real life.

Oh, and he's just doing the shuttle down, which I think he said is 5-6 hours.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Area BFE park is a popular OHV driving and camping spot, but can be a bit more on the party side of things. Have to bring in your own water, and they are pit toilets. There are nice spots along the river on Kane Creek, but same thing as far as toilets and no water. They are really close to town but nice and quiet along the CO river.
    To be honest, I don't know that there are any campgrounds that have water, plumbed bathrooms, etc. Maybe some of the privately owned campgrounds/RV parks.
    Last few years our weekend trips down there have been hotels. Nicer to wake up from a bed to go ride the trails. Place is getting so crowded though, and if you plan on hitting up Arches make sure to go get in line WAY early and ahead of the tour buses full of Asians.
    Not being political, but the NP system has totally ruined Arches and Zion.

The humidity out that way is certainly uncomfortable, but 110 in the desert sun in the SW is like a blast furnace and dehydrates you very quickly. So be sure to bring lots of water/gatorade/whatever anywhere you go. It's nice out of the sun though, after the sun sets and it is still 90+ I dig it.

Drive over to the Poison Spider trailhead and "hike" up to the petroglyph panels, check out the dinosaur tracks rock. It's a really short walk, but it is pretty cool stuff. Negro Bill canyon hike is pretty neat too. Not really difficult, walking along a creek most of the time so you can keep cool.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I stayed in a kamping kabin at the KOA for a week there 12 years ago. It was nice.

6. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

We stayed at this B&B 1 night about 3 years ago and it was fantastic. Little cabin type and the food and innkeeper family was great. Met some cool folks too, we hit the trails really early but if I had to do it again, I would want to stay there longer. http://castlevalleyinn.com/ It's probably not what you are looking for, but was a nice 'bonus' for us on our vacation between Canyonlands, Moab and Arches.

7. rd400racer

Looked into those but we have 7 people and it's booked. They're also real proud of those cabins...I can rent a house for less. I do like KOA's though.

And your place looks great black knight, but once again, 7 people screws it up.

8. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I've stayed at the Lazy Lizzard, self described as a hostel. It was cheap with clean rooms and a common washroom. It was last year and I think I paid $35/night which is cheap when you consider hotel rooms can get as high as $400/night during prime time. And it seemed to be a magnet for 20 something ladies in Yoga wear.

The RMAR has used Pack Creek RV park for holding their Moab events. I've made a few. There are grassy camping spots next to the creek there and the washroom was good. It's a bit back off the highway but easy to get to and to downtown and Slickrock.

I've stayed in the Potash Road camping spots next to the Colorado and they are cheap but go fast on a Friday. They're cheap with no water but such a geologically amazing place. Don't hit the rock wall climbers on the way in as they don't seem to care about vehicle traffic. This is also a good place to stay for the White Rim. Bring your own firewood.

When all else is full you can always take off into the desert for open camping. There's a road that takes off to the east after the last Chevron station and RV park at the intersection of 191 and 313. I was in a group a couple of years ago when that was our only camping option. Not many rules and there were quite a few campers there. Lots of dry camping RV's too. I'd do this again if I had to. It's so freaking pleasant in the middle of the night away from the town's lights.

BTW shouldn't you ask about accommodations on ADVRider? For sure you could get some suggestions there in the Rockies forum.

9. rd400racer

Thank you so much. That's exactly the advice I was looking for. Some great options and I saw a couple of those places when I was searching earlier but you never know if they're showing the one good site. We had that happen in Oregon last summer.

I'd ask on ADV if I was biking in, but I've seen that a lot of you all mention Moab trips so I knew I'd get some good tips.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6123483,-109.6656148,456m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

This is my favorite campsite. It's in a canyon just west of town. There are a few campsites in this canyon but I've never seen it crowded. Do you have a good 4x4? I ask because you need it to get to this spot but it's so worth it. It's a bit of an adventure to get to it and you get to do some high altitude trails on the way. It will probably take you an hour from town to get to this canyon because of the trails you have to take.

Go west on 191 a few miles to Gemini Bridges Road, that is the trail that gets you there. Cruise around the map and you'll see. Oh, these are backcountry style campsites so no plumbing or anything.

From your post I think you are hiking and mtn biking? There are so many awesome places to go there. As mentioned, if you go into Arches or Canyonlands, go early morning because the tourists are thick. If you end up going to Catacomb Rock, be careful because a mountain lion lives in there and last time I was there (June '17) she had cubs. So if you go explore the caves, don't go too far in.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  11. rd400racer

I'll check into this. Sounds like a pretty damn cool place. Since there's 7 of us plus gear, we're planning on renting a large SUV and a small one...I'm guessing a typical SUV should make it here OK?

One other thing...do you feel safe leaving your camp setup for 3 days and heading out for the day in that location?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I normally do that very thing. We make that our base camp for a week and 4wheel the area. So far no issues. There are a lot of places out there to camp on trails, that's just my favorite. You can just hit the trails until you find a cool spot. On the SUV, yes. I would just get one with 4wd, good clearance, and it will make it. The trail is easy, but will be a little scary at the high altitude parts. Get this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X

When you go to that link, look at the pictures and they actually show the page for Gemini Bridges which is that trail. There's a very cool bridge, (arch) on that trail that you can walk or mtn bike over. That book is awesome, I have the 3rd edition and it has some good updates in it. It will give you coordinates and distances for all the trails with excellent trail descriptions and landmarks. Basically you can do any of the trails in that book marked easy in a 4wd SUV or truck with decent ground clearance. On that same trail we are talking about, I've seen Subaru Outbacks and crossovers. But don't take a rental SUV on medium or above trails. Some mediums are ok but it's a risk.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Hot as fuck in August, drink plenty of water. Moab brewery a must stop at least every night.

I love moab especially at night with those strong blowimg hot winds downtown. Cool place!

duggram likes this.