1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk mini-coopers

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Fun to drive, absolute hoot to drive in traffic, we had two but I sold my 2013S as we needed something that would seat 5 and I have minimal space at home for daily drivers. I’d be wary of a car in the 4K price point unless you could easily go the route of Robbby when the need arises.

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Looked at a bunch, did the research then bought a Jetta.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

had one was an ok car .
    struts, high pressure pump ,turbo, yes they use oil,driver door latch.
    parts are still pretty $$$
    Fun as hell to drive

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Get a honda

BrianC636 likes this.
  5. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I'd be terrified of those at this point with the age and mileage on them. I'm sure they are an absolute hoot, but have you considered looking at similar other options of that vintage? My daily commuter actually falls right in that category and I consider it fun. 2003 Focus ZX5 hatchback. Paid $3k for it with 118k. At 130k now. Put a CAI on it, swapped on the SVT suspension kit for $350 which lowered it a half inch, and boom, great little car. There are other options that may not be QUITE as fun, but surely a hell of a lot easier to maintain and cheaper to fix.

Similar vintage Focus SVT hatchback? Or regular ZX5/ZX3 with a couple mods?
    2002-2004 Civic SI? These only came in 2 door hatches in the vintage, but 160hp and 2700 pounds
    Mazda 3 sedan or hatch from that vintage?

6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Hmmm...I did not think of that. I'll look at those. My current commuter is a Focus and I hate it so I can't do another one of those.

Tiller15 likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My cousin had a supercharged S model. Fun car to drive, but after 100k miles, the repair bills quickly made it impossible to own. It's a BMW so it is ze caca. I'd go look for an old Civic Si too.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Guys mentioning turbo's and direct injection, are talking about the newer ones. The 02-04 have a supercharger, not turbocharger.

I'm sure a Honda is more reliable. I had a 03, bought it used in 05 with 12k miles and owned it till 2010, sold with 55K miles. I loved it.

Only problem I had was window regulators that wouldn't always work. Quick hard smack by the speaker and the electric motor would start working again. Common problem in BMW's too, they use the same part. Mine had lowered springs and different swaybars, different pulley, different intercooler and supposedly made 205HP. It was really fun and handled excellently. My best friend had a 05-06 Boxster S and it was barely quicker.

If I could find a good one, I would like one again.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

What, you want me to tout a Prius to @blkduc ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

He'd be better off with the Civic or a Yaris.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  10. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

If I didn't have the need for four doors due to two car seats, that's the only vehicle in that range I would've ended up with. I think it may actually be 02-05's that are the 2 door hatch's. I'd have to think they are a fun car for the price point and typical Honda reliability. Finding one that hasn't been hoodlum teenaged out is the issue these days

blkduc likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Beac, I really wanted a Yaris, loved the idea and the look of them. Then I drove one and wouldn't take one for free. Complete trash.

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

yep and include turbo, timing chain replacement also

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I had one for a couple of months while working in LA. They are the SV of freeway cars. Underpowered, but fun. I think there is a turbo version now, too.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You’ll be hard pressed to find a civic of that age that’s not been riced out and beat to shit.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Everything about it felt cheap from the way the doors closed, the swtiches, the cover for the tiny luggage area to way the transmission shifted. Yeah, it was a rental and abused but it crushed my Yaris love.

The Kia 5 door, which I was prepared to hate, actually damn near won my shit box shoot out.

beac83 likes this.
  16. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

@VFR#52 is that you? :D

Scotty87, G2G, VFR#52 and 2 others like this.
  17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

So I was just in this boat and a Mini was on the list. Long story short, my budget was 5K. I searched for about 3 months and settled on a 07 E90 328i w/ a manual shift. So far, awesome little car, get's 30 mpg. Found it with all the major stuff that goes wrong already repaired. For the money, I am happy.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Every time I see that all I can think of is J. C. Whitney.

pscook likes this.
  19. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

:stupid: My dad had a ZX3 hatch that got passed around the family. We put the same SVT suspension kit on it, and it was a great car. It went to Hawaii, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Italy (Naples), and now back to Hawaii. If my brother didn't have it in Hawaii, I'd buy it back from him.

Now the SVT Focus is in that price range. I'd expect some maintenance, but that maintenance is done with more parts availability and ease than similar vintage mini coopers.

For comparison, I was shopping slightly newer minis 4 or 5 years ago, and bought a Fiesta ST.

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Don't insult SVs by calling them "Yaris".