1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk mini-coopers

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, Jul 12, 2018.

1. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Ok I know there are a few here that know these cars and I have some questions. Here's the deal...

I'm looking for a cheap fun commuter. A buddy has an older Audi S4 that has been passed around by a few friends as a trackday car and has a lot of work done to it. I can buy this for cheap, and it would be tons of fun but I want better mpg since my daily drive is going to be 30 miles one way. So I'm thinking an older mini.

I'm seeing the S model from '02-'04 going for $4k and that is my budget so it seems to fit my needs which are:

-fun
    -good mpg
    -$4k or less
    -potential to do some trackdays in it (not critical)

What can you tell me about these?
    What to look for?
    What to avoid?
    Run away this is gayer than a Miata? (just kidding...nothing is gayer than a Miata :p)

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

My dad bought my younger brother a mini that fits this range. When the transmission went out, it was cheaper to scrap it and buy a lightly used Civic of newer vintage. They're cheap to buy, but can be expensive to maintain, believe it or not.

418 likes this.
  4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They're BMWs, of course they are expensive to maintain and repair. :D

Lawn Dart likes this.
  6. blkduc

I believe it but was this paying a shop to do it?

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Had a 2009 Cooper S. It was good until it hit 90-100k miles and then it started making frequent trips to the dealer.

8. blkduc

Details? I'm planning to do all the wrenching myself, but would like to know what issues to consider.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

As for the S4, dude, it's a trackday car and you want to run it on the street. No, just no.

Check out a new Mazda 3, civic or a golf. Cheap financing and you get a warranty.

10. blkduc

see requirement #3 ($4k budget)

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, 4 grand is a tough price point. A lot of used up junk in that range but you might be able to find a pearl in all the pig shit out there.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Minis are terrible.

13. blkduc

You didn't read my post all did you. :crackup:The S is going for $4K as the normal price.

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I think the transmission was around $4k itself. The labor put it over the top, but this was a few years ago too, so YMMV.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah man, I got it. Good luck and post up the repair costs on your $4K bomber. :D

16. blkduc

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bought my mom a blown up 05s

Bought a junkyard motor and she put about 100k miles on it.

We replaced the clutch as well just because we were that far.

The only issue we have had is a/c.

You can do a little Work and make them really fast (for a small car)

It’s fun picking on miatas and small type cars but you know you ain’t gonna be too fast anyways.

It’s crazy fun to drive. We also did a wheel/tire swap.

It’s been an awesome $2500 car for going on 5 years now.

We’ve never beat the shit out of it in the track but through city streets and interstate ramps it’s soooo much fun!

XFBO, scottn, The_R1_Kid and 2 others like this.
  18. blkduc

Thanks

19. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I agree I have a JCW Mini cooper 2009 and after 80K miles its started to give me issues. The engine took a crap on my at 96K miles and I had to sell it for pennies out of the dollar. The are no JCW engines available used. They don't exsist. Its not like a s model or a base model. Dot get me wrong they are fun to drive and gas milage was great but they have there issues. Taught my daughter how to drive stick at 16 with mine. FB_IMG_1460122596086.jpg

20. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

High Pressure fuel pump
    Water pump and sensor
    Brake sensor
    Intake valves being carbon'd up every 40k (it's direct injected so they are not cleaned by fuel)

Lawn Dart, G2G and R/T Performance like this.