1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every farmers knows low yields are a result of systemic racism.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Jul 11, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

kangasj likes this.
  2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I heard about this the other day... I'm trying to wrap my head around it. How do they know what color you are when you order seeds?

I'm not saying it didn't happen - its certainly possible... I'm just trying to understand "how?"... and I guess just as importantly, "why?" A seed company sells bad seeds, so that means they're probably not going to sell as many seeds next time around... Its not like "more" people are farming and they don't need every customer they can get.

3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they ordered from Stine at a black farmers convention. Also sounds like they have some information about the seeds they were supposed to get and where the ones they received originated - along with the samples submitted to Mississippi State. Fake seeds may be a very sensational claim, but I'd believe a bait and switch for sure. Sell the same expensive inventory twice and ship crap to the customer you bet won't notice or be able to hurt you should they find out.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Absolute. Fucking. Nonsense.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did I read that right? The fucking USDA is paying out 2.26 BILLION DOLLARS in settlements from a class action lawsuit claiming discriminatory practices? WTF?

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

You seem to gather a lot of conclusions based on such little information.

Do you know the field conditions the seeds were planted in?
    Do you know the time of season they were planted?
    What planting population was planted?
    What row spacing was planted?
    What was the weather like that year?
    What was the variety of seed planted?
    Do you know if Stine Seed sold these seeds directly or did the sales go thru a distributor/ second party independent seed dealer? It would be the exception, outside of their growers, for Stine to sell directly to any end user.

Also sending 100 seeds out for testing out of thousands is hardly a true representation of the entire quality of seed. In addition, how was the seed that was sent in for testing stored and handled prior. If it was left over, it was at least nine months sitting in storage.
    Who stores just 100 seeds? A lot of conditions can have a huge impact towards germination during this time if the seed was improperly stored etc.

Do you know that Stine Seeds makes an overwhelming amount of their income, not from selling actual seed but from licensing their genetics to other seed manufatures. It is thought that Stine genetics are currently contained in roughly 75% of all seed beans sold.

Stine earned their lofty position in the seed bean business in a relatively short period of time. Like from basically nothing to industry leader in thirty years, which is unheard of. All because his constant number one goal, was the trait of higher yield. While other seed bean growers were concentrating on standability and pest resistance, Stine concentrated on increased yields - which at the end of the day is what it is all about.

I am biased no doubt, but there is no way Stine would knowingly allow or permit any level of bait and switch or inferior seed to be sold. No way, no how.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    XFBO and Orvis like this.
  7. In Your Corner

This is the first you're hearing of this?
    That scam has been reported on multiple times. Reparations for black farmers.
    The qualifications are:
    1. You're black
    2. You grew something at any time in your life. Houseplants qualify.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-in-discrimination-suit-idUSTRE61H5XD20100218

This was one of the Obama administrations sue-and-settle scams.

kangasj likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Crazy. I thought the same thing. For what exactly? Reeks of a Jessie Jackson type shake down.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Black farmers able to demonstrate they suffered from discrimination and filed complaints between 1981 and 1997 will get up to $50,000 and debt relief.

10. In Your Corner

The hope is that they will want so bad to avoid the taint of being accused of racism that they will just pay out.

crashman likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

No. That was the original lawsuit, in the second settlement, there is no need for proof.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Knowing what I know of Harry Stine and his reputation of being a straight shooter, I don’t think they will see one dime from Stine Seeds.

XFBO likes this.
  13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Good on ya. It's good to hear from a person that seems to know their way around farming practices. :bow:

G 97 likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

One other item to consider, and this is not unique with Stine Seeds but is a part of the seed business in general is that seed companies regularly issue credits and refunds on seed that was deemed to under perform or not perform as thought. It happens all the time. They will even offer free replant seed under certain conditions etc.

15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’m pretty sure ALL farmers numbers have dwindled. It’s not just any specific demographic.

Farmings expensive startup and sustainment costs make it nearly impossible to pick up from zero as a profession and for the most part I don’t think farmers are the best at handling the business side of their operations.

16. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

For me, while not knowing the farming industry,
    just the term 'black farmers', is racist as ever.
    There is one race of humans, the human race.

crashman and StaccatoFan like this.
  17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Something that should not even exist.

crashman likes this.
  18. In Your Corner

We have just one working farm left in town.

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

So a company attends a black farmer's convention, I'd assume to drum up business, but then does a bait and switch? That's really weird. I mean, why go? Doesn't it send a more distinct message to just not attend?

I dunno, the story is missing some detail. I could see it maybe being one rogue representative from the company or something, and the guy ends up paying dearly for it. I just don't believe an entire company would do something so blatant, but I've been wrong before. And, I'm not trying to make light of the claims or anything. I'm certain they believe this is the case, or they wouldn't have sued... Its just a really strange story to me.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Sounds like whiney fuckers had a bad year and are trying for a big payout based on the current political climate...