1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pickup brakes

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dodge needs new rotors and pads on the rear - been a long time since I've used anything but stock so what are good brands or more importantly what should I stay away from?

2. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bet! Not worth it for this truck but they do look really nice.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just did my Titan and used Auto Zone's medium duty line. It stops.

sharkattack and track wagon like this.
  5. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

I bought rotors/pads F & R (street daily driver) for not much more than what's at Advance/Autozone.

$300 on eBay w/free shipping.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I see a lot of people posting favorably on other forums about Hawk pads on stock rotors. No idea about price.

7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Ceramic Wagners from O Reilly's
    They are the lifetime warranty ones. I have run them on 3 different trucks and a sports car. They are always much better than OEM and won't break the bank.
    Just turn your rotors or get refurbished ones.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rotors are too worn to turn and new ones are cheap enough insurance.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

$300 all the way around? Not bad. I was seeing that for just rear rotors.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd just stay away from fleet or organic pads. Ceramic for low dust and quiet operation, and new rotors. If over 100k miles I'd just replace the calipers too (at least up north here its cheap insurance as well). Have seen MANY calipers drag about a week after new pads/rotors being put on, no idea why it takes a week but I'd bet it's in the double digits this year already. This may not apply to "ya'll" though.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, it's been southern all it's life. I'll look them over when I do the rest.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Do you see an improvement in stopping distance? I went from small cars to a heavy ass silverado and the stock brakes work ok, if I start to lean on them. I'm more of start slowig a touch and then stop as I get closer to stop sign, light etc. Several times I find myself going way to fast right near a stop and have to really STOP.
    Looking for better pads, rotors soon

13. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Yes

My kit was K2164 on powerstop website. Did a search on eBay for K2164 in ebay motors then sorted lowest to highest price with shipping.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think I put Power Stops, from Rock Auto, on my last 2500 Express. Stopped great, but can't tell you about pad life, as the van was totaled. Put some heavy duty rotors on as well, but don't recall it costing more than $400. I'll do them on the current van when the time comes.

15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Autozone Duralast with the gold pads (savings with combo) is a great value.

With a good warranty also.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    track wagon likes this.
  16. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I always used the eBay special. I got drill and slotted rotors and pads for my f150 was 300 shipped. They worked very well.

17. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I use the parts store special and tow 40K+ miles a year.

18. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

If you don't need the stuff immediately,chk Rock Auto.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm a little skeptical of the rotors from Autozone, I can't recall which ones they were but I had a serious wobble at highway speeds.....so I had the old ones cut, put them back on and took it for a test drive and wallah, no wobble!!!! I returned the new ones and got my $$$ back. The clown tried to tell me he could only give me credit, had to SHOW HIM on the receipt that said credit OR refund.

So how many miles did you get out of those rotors/pads???

20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Depends how much you want to spend, cheap pads lots of dust,if you're going to keep the truck get the good stuff.