1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For track photographers

Discussion in 'General' started by David-imoddavid, Jul 8, 2018.

1. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

I shot a lot of track days and races several years ago. I was losing a lot of shots because they were soft or totally out of focus. Having to carry a tripod in the infield was a royal pain so I came up with this idea - see photos. I went from about 40% keepers to around 80% using this. body.jpg bodystrapmergev2.jpg

A standard 1/4" eye bolt will fit loosely in the tripod mount hole in the bottom of a camera. The rubber
    washer protects the camera body from being marred and the metal spreads the pressure around. The wing nut holds everything tight. Using a standard pet leash, cut a length and sew in an adjustable connector - shot #1. Adjust to suit your height. When in use put your left foot in the hand loop -#2 - and with light left thumb pressure push up on the camera body. You'll have good freedom of movement right to left and some room to tilt the camera for composition.

panthercity likes this.
  2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Did that work better than a monopod?

3. David-imoddavid

For me yes. I tried a mono but the leash is much more versatile and not as much equipment to lug around.
    I tried not to have to keep up with any more stuff than I could carry in my pockets.

It's important not to overly tighten the eye bolt or the wing nut.

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I tuck my elbows in and rest on my chest. Works great on planes going by at 600mph. Works just as well on bikes. Real big lenses, monopods.

Is that an old XT or 300D?

lightning97 likes this.
  5. David-imoddavid

The one in the photo is a Canon Digital Rebel I bought in 2005 taken by its replacement - a 30D in about 2006.

Whatever works to get the shot;)

6. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

cool idea!

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I did something similar several years ago with a string and washer. It worked okay. I did get a lot of funny looks from others though.

8. David-imoddavid

Yeah. Me too.

9. Woofentino Pugr

Still have my Nikon D70 (was looking at the Rebel EOS also since I was switching from 35mm to digital and my old Canon AE1 lenses wouldn't work on the new digital bodies). Went with the D70 over the EOS because the buttons on the EOS were tiny for my fingers. The D70 is now used for my "kayaking camera". Have 2 D300's I use now.

10. David-imoddavid

It would have been nice if Canon had made the digital bodies so that the older film lenses would have worked like Nikon did. I had an AE1 and several lenses back in the day.

If I buy another body it'll probably be a used 40d.

11. Woofentino Pugr

Probably would had got the Canon if they stayed with FD mounts, but the EF mounts came out around 1987-1988. My AE1P is from 1982. Was my grandmas camera that she gave me since I was the only grand kid who was into photography and actually knew how to use it. Hell still have it.

Got a friend how is an absolute Canon fanboy. He was telling me how Canon L-lenses are better than Nikons because Nikon doesn't have any "pro lenses". Kinda deflated his ego when I told him ALL Nikon lenses are considered "pro lenses". Then again a pro p-tog using a non-L Canon lens (or any other brand) I would still call the lens a "pro lens" since a pro is using it.

One thing I always say when people ask which is better, Canon or Nikon. You cant go wrong with either one.

BTW if you go to www.keh.com you can find great deals on used gear. My one D300 was listed as 'bargain' and when I got it, it was in real good shape other than some black wore off in 2 spots. Works great. Got it and the battery grip for $275. What they consider 'bargain', other places would call it 'very good'.

12. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

If you have the budget to upgrade, the image stabilization you can get on some cameras now is just crazy good. Don't even have to pay for top of the line to get it.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Canon changed the mount to make the autofocus work better. A lot of Nikon photographers changed over to Canon during that time as the autofocus as a lot better. And then a lot changed back when Nikon introduced the D4. I don't see how a strap and an eyebolt works better than a monopod. But then again if I'm shooting at the track I'm using a 300 F2.8 or a 500 F4. I can handhold it but it isn't much fun at an all day event.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:
    This was what I was thinking.

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Less to lug around and it's almost DaveK cheap.

turbulence likes this.
  16. Newsshooter

I don't need a strap to help steady me, just tuck in my elbows, and it certainly won't help with a heavier camera and a large telephoto lens. I don't need any extra support it is just a 70-200 2.8 lens. Then it would just be something else to get in the way.

17. David-imoddavid

Then don't try it.

18. Newsshooter

I won't, I've been doing this for awhile, I was getting paid to shoot college and pro sports in the 80's when you had to manually focus on a moving subject :)

David-imoddavid likes this.
  19. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

300 IS L 2.8 on 1D Mark IV body in hand

70-200 IS L 2.8, 24-70 L 2.8 and flash in backpack

Plus laptop, water bottle, and a list of who to watch out for.

typically on track for 3 days plus. Never used a monopod. Now that was before all the fun this year, but starting next week I can start working out again and hope to be track side for at least doing photos for fun, one more time

20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Just replying to say "Hi!" Hope you're doing well man! :cool: