1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sept 8-9 Road Atlanta question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by aftriathlete, Jul 8, 2018.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Hey gents, the Road Atlanta website says "September 9th will be a Track Day geared toward non-racers. The 10th will give the racers a day of practice followed by the double-header Sportsman Sprint weekend." I’m guessing this is a copy and paste from last year, so is this year going to be the same with the Saturday (8th) a track day and racing on Sunday the 9th?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

No, since it is listed as a DH on the WERA schedule it will be sportsman sprints on both the 8th/9th. Only practice will be the normal morning stuff before lunch. Sunday of course will "probably" be only one round of practice due to Road Atlanta's 2 hour quite time from 10-12 on Sunday's.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Dave said, no clue what their site is talking about.

4. aftriathlete

Gotcha, thanks. Looks like I’m going to have to choose between getting in a track day before the race weekend at Tally and RA. I can’t make it to the track to ride on week days due to work, so I need to pick between the STT days at Tally end of this month and the STT days at RA first weekend of August.

EDIT: Unless the choice is made for me. I'm here in AL for a year of Air Force schooling, and I haven't started the school year yet so don't exactly know what the demands are going to be yet.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A track day would be nice of course but why do you need one?

6. aftriathlete

I don’t NEED one, per se. I just haven’t ridden any of these tracks, so I was hoping to do a track day at Tally, RA, and Barber before the race rounds. Helps me not get caught up in racing before I’ve learned the track.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. Turn one is a left at Talladega and a right at Road Atlanta. After that just keep it on the gray not the green and you'll be fine :D

8. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Seems simple enough. Add in the Mo gas, less whoa and now yer cookin

9. Jon Wilkens

I am retired AF...so look me up at Tally or RA. I'll try to help ya if I can.

pawpawrc and aftriathlete like this.
  10. aftriathlete

Thanks man, will do if I can make it out.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. aftriathlete

What tire distributors are at the Tally and the RA race rounds? Any need to preorder?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The three major brands, always a good idea to double check they'll have what you need.

aftriathlete likes this.
  13. aftriathlete

Who is the Pirelli distributor in the southeast? Or are there multiple? I've seen Metric Devil Moto on here a lot, are they the source for AL/GA events? I'll have to figure out a VP fuel source too (U4.4/VP110 for race/practice).

14. Jon Wilkens

Podium Motorsports (James Bock) is the Pirelli dude that will be at the tracks here in the SE. Great guy.

VP fuel dude is Chuck Ivey (#131 expert).

aftriathlete likes this.
  15. aftriathlete

Just submitted my membership forms, so I should be seeing y'all at Tally next weekend.

Jon Wilkens and TLR67 like this.
  16. Jon Wilkens

Look me up...yellow SV #462:beer:

aftriathlete likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And wheelie up the hill after 5:D

aftriathlete likes this.
  18. aftriathlete

Hey Mongo, am I good with the number I requested? I know I’m cutting it close with my paperwork in the week before trying to race.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't think the boss got it process this week, I'll have to check with her Monday - if I don't respond on here by that afternoon, email me.

20. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Because I'm old as dirt and even rustier.....lol. But no practice on Friday is ok. I know the track well so I'll try to stay out of everyone's way.

Jon Wilkens likes this.